• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do You support the UK's decision to leave the EU?

Do you support the UK's decision to leave the EU?

• Yes

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
On June 23 2016, the UK casted a ballot which was in favor of leaving the EU.

Advantages:
  • The UK won't have to share its income with countries in financial trouble such as Greece or Spain
  • Less foreign workers will occupy jobs in the country
  • The UK will have more flexibility in its border control
  • The UK has quite a few differences from the rest of the EU such as driving on the left and using the British Pound as opposed to the Euro

• Disadvantages:
      • If the UK gets into financial trouble, it won't have as much help
      • It could hurt relations with other EU countries such as France and Germany
      • The British pound has dropped in value after the Brexit
      • This could cause the collapse of the EU as early as 2020

Last edited:
I believe in democracy.

I believe in majority rule.

Hell Ya I support the Brits exercising their rights.

THat does NOT however mean that I would have voted EXIT.

At first , neither yes nor no, thus no vote .. The masses, the great unwashed, the uneducated , are against the EU membership .. and I do question the fairness of their ''deal'' . So ''threatening'' to quit the EU may be a way to be heard .
Otherwise, this is a step backward.. The conservatives will have to sit down with the ''lower classes" and talk things over .. AND, if those in their ivory towers think ''lower classes'' , then its all over ..we may regress to the middle ages ..

As for Trump ..the last thing that England and the world need , is a Trump ! He should also learn to mind his business ...

I support their right to decide, but I'm not sure I agree with their decision.

One thing I've wondered about is how or if they could rejoin later, did they decide their prior decision was a bad idea.

I do. The EU has some positives, but the negatives outweigh it. Also, the closer power resides with the people, typically the better off a society is. When one government controls too many people (especially people who are not homogeneous, from different countries) then resentment grows and issues occur.

It was a dumb decision.

Pure and simple.

People sometimes are so misguided they vote against their own interests.

It's the dumbest political decision up until the time we find out if America has become just dumb enough to vote Trump into office.

At that point we will know, without any doubts, that we are doomed as a species.

as a big fan of self determination and national sovereignty, of course I support their decision.... it's a no brainer to anyone who support these very basic political principles.

Advantages:
  • The UK won't have to share its income with countries in financial trouble such as Greece or Spain
  • The UK has quite a few differences from the rest of the EU such as driving on the left and using the British Pound as opposed to the Euro

• Disadvantages:

• Propping up immigration policies cost and countries that have over spent on social programs will save them billions.

Actually the Euro has increased slightly compared to the US dollar. The Euro has been dropping for quite sometime both against the the pound and the US dollar...it was about a year ago that the Euro was up around $1.35 and now is $1.11.

I believe France and a few other countries are now considering the same course and were just waiting to see what happen in GB..

The collapse of the EU started about ten years ago. Over regulations and spending by un-elected officials has turned a lot of Europeans off.

Advantages:

• Disadvantages:

• Normally my opinion wouldn't mean jack, directly or indirectly, since I'm neither European nor British. Unfortunately the whole thing does affect me quite directly. For one, my retirement investments are worth a lot less, and the extremely wealthy are my clients, and they tend not to buy from me when they're feeling skittish about the markets. This happened to me after the 2008 crisis and this is going to happen to me again.

I am going to personally suffer for this. Actually, pretty much everyone will. Those who won't are in the kind of recession-proof lines of work that I'm frankly envying at the moment.

Normally my opinion wouldn't mean jack, directly or indirectly, since I'm neither European nor British. Unfortunately the whole thing does affect me quite directly. For one, my retirement investments are worth a lot less, and the extremely wealthy are my clients, and they tend not to buy from me when they're feeling skittish about the markets. This happened to me after the 2008 crisis and this is going to happen to me again.

I am going to personally suffer for this. Actually, pretty much everyone will. Those who won't are in the kind of recession-proof lines of work that I'm frankly envying at the moment.

Did you lose financially when the Dot.com collapsed in 1999-2000?

Any lost in the stock market over the British vote will be short term just like all the other so-called crashes.

Like here in the USA, the elites have the most to lose: prestige, position, influence. To name the easy ones.

The British Constitution as well as the USA Constitution speaks of individuals and persons in singular. Not "elites", not "multi nationalists", not "waves of foreign persons", and certainly not "those who know best".

In this vote, the wisdom of the population has decided to act against the interests of the elite. They have live a real life in he midst of the chaos created by bumbling "leaders".

Good for them! It will all work itself out.

Sounds very much like the USA.

Any lost in the stock market over the British vote will be short term just like all the other so-called crashes.

Any "lost" in the stock market is permanent. If the markets performed as you appear to imagine they do, the markets would be risk free and we'd all be billionaires.

I support them choosing what they believe best for themselves. It's not my call. Whatever happens, the UK is a great ally and, should they need our help, we should have their back.

I support them choosing what they believe best for themselves. It's not my call. Whatever happens, the UK is a great ally and, should they need our help, we should have their back.

From where I'm sitting they chose for the rest of us as well. Genuinely curious what you do for a living, because I'm not European or English and I just completely had my ass handed to me as a result of the Brexit vote.

It took more than 25 years to recover from the Great Depression, and we are due for another one of them by the looks of it.

So no, your words do not sway me.

From where I'm sitting they chose for the rest of us as well. Genuinely curious what you do for a living, because I'm not European or English and I just completely had my ass handed to me as a result of the Brexit vote.

Sorry, no offense intended at all, but I won't talk about my job. You're right though, I don't see how this will effect me in any way.

Sorry, no offense intended at all, but I won't talk about my job. You're right though, I don't see how this will effect me in any way.

****. I'm smoking again, and for the first time since 2009. I hate that I'm this vulnerable to what some stupid short-sighted assholes eight time zones away chose to do with their country and the entire world's economy.

I should be a bartender. Everybody's always going to drink. Or I should cut hair. Everybody needs their hair cut.

and this is why i got out of the stocks game long ago.... the folks running that loony bin are far more responsible for market volatility than any other thing...

literally not one single thing has changed since the Brexit vote... everything is exactly as it was the day or week before the vote... and yet the markets go nuts.

it's all so very irrational....

****. I'm smoking again, and for the first time since 2009. I hate that I'm this vulnerable to what some stupid short-sighted assholes eight time zones away chose to do with their country and the entire world's economy.

I should be a bartender. Everybody's always going to drink. Or I should cut hair. Everybody needs their hair cut.

I'll take it you are employed in the financial sector?

and this is why i got out of the stocks game long ago.... the folks running that loony bin are far more responsible for market volatility than any other thing...

literally not one single thing has changed since the Brexit vote... everything is exactly as it was the day or week before the vote... and yet the markets go nuts.

The markets like stability, that's just reality. And when countries act like erratic assholes then that stability goes right out the window and you don't get to retire for a certain additional number of years beyond what you were planning for. And iras, sep-iras and 401k's are how non-rich people are able to to successfully save for retirement. Even if you're investing in low cost etfs with low cost managements such as that Vanguard offers, that still doesn't render you invulnerable to massive market swings or from collapses in the value of those etfs.

As for England itself, whether or not you were aware of it London was the world's financial center, and leaving the EU jeopardized the integrity of the the UK and the future of the EU itself.

Now here's the "hilarious" thing: the vote was only the first financial ****-a-tron. The next is when England actually triggers the leave -- that's another market collapse. Then possibly France or Holland (or both) leaves. A market collapse each. Germany? Another market collapse. If you aren't feeling any of these market collapses, congratulations: you are either a Columbian cartel drug dealer or you are an evil James Bond villain living aboard his orbital laser space station.

Finally, think about the one person on earth who has to gain from the disintegration of the European Union.

But that's okay. At least Brits voted to keep immigrants out of their country.

Last edited:

Oh, and another thing: The Fed has made it clear that not only are they not going to raise interest rates as a result of Brexit, they are in fact going to lower them. Great news if you plan to buy a home. Crap news if you're trying to save any money in your savings account. Also, when the Fed makes that kind of decision, they're signaling to the world their lack of faith in the economy. Queue another market collapse, which is what happened last Fall when they decided not to raise interest rates and the DOW dropped some 2-3 hundred points.

And don't say "the market will recover." If you believe that, that is a fairy tail in the sense you're imagining it. There's no such thing as a market recovery. It will go up again in time, no doubt, but it does not recover the value to make up for the lost time that you would have been seeing an increase in your portfolio, nor will it make up for the compound interest that you would have made in that time.

Last edited:

Advantages:

• Disadvantages:

• Under these circumstances, no.

I am not inherently opposed to the idea of the UK leaving, and actually, a lot of Remain voters I know aren't either.

The problem here is the people running the show, the dishonest numbers they've given, and the messed up **** they want to do if the UK leaves. It's been a campaign fuelled by ignorance and xenophobia.

Yes, the UK is very different from much of the rest of Western Europe. I think it was wise of them to keep the pound. In many ways, the EU seems to have taken the very worst aspects of geographically large nationhood, and jammed that into a rather bizarre system.

But the reasons being given are bogus.

Foreigners aren't "taking their jobs." The white British unemployment rate is only half that of the minority unemployment rate, and only a bit over 5% for the UK as a whole.

The UK already gets its way on a lot of aspects of immigration within its boarders, especially those that seem of most concern to Brexit voters. While it's true there is relatively free movement for EU citizens, that hasn't really done anything but benefit the UK. The UK actually has two systems -- it's part EU and part UK. And BELIEVE ME, immigrating to the UK is no walk in the park. America is probably the only place that's tougher.

Nearly all of the claims of the EU "over-regulating them" are bogus, with only a couple of exceptions I can think of. Fact is, the UK is probably the most bureaucratic nation in the entire EU anyway, and regulates way beyond what the EU requires.

The hostile tone the Brexit campaign has taken has been economic suicide for Britain, as we see by the instantaneous collapse of the pound. If they want to do this without destroying their own country, it's important to keep diplomacy in the air, and they're just acting like children who have seemingly no concern for what they've just done to the economy. This was probably avoidable -- maybe not 100%, but they at least could have found ways to lighten the impact of leaving.

Despite all of that, I think if the Brexit campaign were being run by actual sane people, there would be some arguments for it. The problem is, it isn't.

This is kind of how I felt when an Oklahoma Comgressman proposed abolishing government marriage. In theory, I actually totally agree with him.

Problem is, he was a homophobe who wanted to get rid of government marriage, but keep the government benefits, so that he could make it the sole purview of churches, thus requiring a religious test of sorts to have your family. And I can't get behind that. I want to get rid of government marriage to get rid of the "test" completely. It's not anyone else's business who you decide to make your family.

Same deal with Brexit. My feelings on the UK being in the EU are tepid. But the people running this campaign are either insane, or virulent racists, and almost every aspect of their campaign is based on either outright lies or appeals to white nationalism, and the stuff they want to do if the UK leaves is just crazy.

So... not with these people running it, no.

Last edited:
The markets like stability, that's just reality. And when countries act like erratic assholes then that stability goes right out the window and you don't get to retire for a certain additional number of years beyond what you were planning for. And iras, sep-iras and 401k's are how non-rich people are able to to successfully save for retirement. Even if you're investing in low cost etfs with low cost managements such as that Vanguard offers, that still doesn't render you invulnerable to massive market swings or from collapses in the value of those etfs.

As for England itself, whether or not you were aware of it London was the world's financial center, and leaving the EU jeopardized the integrity of the the UK and the future of the EU itself.

Now here's the "hilarious" thing: the vote was only the first financial ****-a-tron. The next is when England actually triggers the leave -- that's another market collapse. Then possibly France or Holland (or both) leaves. A market collapse each. Germany? Another market collapse. If you aren't feeling any of these market collapses, congratulations: you are either a Columbian cartel drug dealer or you are an evil James Bond villain living aboard his orbital laser space station.

Finally, think about the one person on earth who has to gain from the disintegration of the European Union.

But that's okay. At least Brits voted to keep immigrants out of their country.

Who...who is the one person that would gain from disintegration of EU?

Back
Top Bottom