• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do You support the UK's decision to leave the EU?

Do you support the UK's decision to leave the EU?

• Yes

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters
There should be some type of testing in order to get a license to vote though... need a license to fish or drive a car but not to have children or vote? Jeesh...

But voting is a right, fishing and driving is a privilege IMHO and for that you can have tests.

You'd need each religion, each race, each gender...of each political affiliation. That would be thousands.

We don't need universal agreement just like we don't regarding current education, laws, etc.

But voting is a right, fishing and driving is a privilege IMHO and for that you can have tests.

Not all rights are 100% Absolute... just look at freedom of speach.

We don't need universal agreement just like we don't regarding current education, laws, etc.

Yeah, I just see voters with the "wrong" education getting screwed here. I'll have to nix the poll test idea.

The reason the pound outperformed the Euro during their EU participation is that Britain got a favorable deal to come aboard to the EU. Versus the pound going down 9+% against the Dollar, the Euro and the German Mark came down less than 2% and 1% respectively over the same period of time since the Brexit vote. The Brits, with the prospect of Scotland and N. Ireland going their own way, are more concerned with holding their own than feeling assured it will all wash away.

True, I think Scotland for sure and maybe N Ireland were going to vote to leave anyway. Scotland already did it before and narrowly stayed the last time. There is a growing divergence among the Scottish political party and partie(s) they were allied with. I know the SNP wants to be in the EU , but independently.
In the past ive been quite into currency exchange. haven't been pursuing it lately but it would be a good time to invest now. the value swings are there.

Not all rights are 100% Absolute... just look at freedom of speach.

I think the limiting fact of freedom of speech is the violation of other people's rights. That however is not an issue with the right to vote. The only people who should loose that right are inmates, war criminals with no passport and people who have been found guilty of voter fraud.

Yeah, I just see voters with the "wrong" education getting screwed here. I'll have to nix the poll test idea.

Like whom? Public education teaches about government and all people in that system are taught the same thing. How voting works, number of Supreme Court Justices, Term Limits, etc. etc. If it is a standarized test who would ad a disadvantage?

I think the limiting fact of freedom of speech is the violation of other people's rights. That however is not an issue with the right to vote. The only people who should loose that right are inmates, war criminals with no passport and people who have been found guilty of voter fraud.

You just outlined limiting the right to vote while saying that there is no limit to the right to vote...

You just outlined limiting the right to vote while saying that there is no limit to the right to vote...

Limiting the right to vote is completely different compared to limitations to the right of free speech because in and of itself the right to vote does not violate the rights of other people (and that is what the freedom of speech at times does do). That is what I meant. I have no problems with limiting the right to vote if someone has committed a crime (or something like that) but the right to vote should not be limited by giving people an IQ test.

True, I think Scotland for sure and maybe N Ireland were going to vote to leave anyway. Scotland already did it before and narrowly stayed the last time. There is a growing divergence among the Scottish political party and partie(s) they were allied with. I know the SNP wants to be in the EU , but independently.
In the past ive been quite into currency exchange. haven't been pursuing it lately but it would be a good time to invest now. the value swings are there.

Making a move. Good luck. It would be conservative to wait for some stabilization. A tad bit of upward move. I know it's close, but it hasn't gone down 10% and held. Anyway, buying the pound leaving against an adverse EU where participating countries have barely taken a bump? It could get worse. Good luck.

Limiting the right to vote is completely different compared to limitations to the right of free speech because in and of itself the right to vote does not violate the rights of other people (and that is what the freedom of speech at times does do). That is what I meant. I have no problems with limiting the right to vote if someone has committed a crime (or something like that) but the right to vote should not be limited by giving people an IQ test.

All I said is that no right is 100% absolute and it now looks like you agree with me... correct?

All I said is that no right is 100% absolute and it now looks like you agree with me... correct?

I have no problem with that, but the reasons why rights are not absolute have to be crystal clear and not used surreptitiously to gain an unfair advantage/achieve a dubious goal. For example striking off voting rights to people who have paid the prize for their crimes (prison plus probation) and now are no longer under any punishment (except the extra punishment of not being able to vote) because I think that is meant to drive down the vote of "liberals" "democrats" "minorities". If you did your time, you absolved your probation, you should be able to vote. In that case limiting voting is used surreptitiously to achieve a goal that is very political in nature.

But yes, rights are never 100% absolute. Because that could make rights dictatorial and that is also never a good thing.

I'm not a Brit so personally I am mostly ambivalent. The people should indeed have the ability to influence their direction and fate.

The problem is that most people are too busy to examine important questions on a granular level. This leads to both disinformation and misunderstandings.

Brexit leader Nigel Farage (UKIP) has already admitted that the National Health Service (NHS) will not be reaping an extra £350 million a week as promised, which was one of the main reasons older people generally voted yes for Brexit.

Brexit has resulted in a double-whammy for older citizens ... healthcare (NHS) will remain underfunded and many retirement funds have now suffered a heavy hit.

Back
Top Bottom