• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do You support the UK's decision to leave the EU?

Do you support the UK's decision to leave the EU?

• Yes

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters
Sometimes I wonder if the real opponent in politics is not the people who disagree with you, but rather the people who don't know what's going on.

I do not think there should be such a minimum intelligence level but then I read about this kind of reasoning and I almost think it would not be wrong to have one to weed out people who make their decisions on something that is not even remotely true or accurate to any degree of the imagination.

I do not think there should be such a minimum intelligence level but then I read about this kind of reasoning and I almost think it would not be wrong to have one to weed out people who make their decisions on something that is not even remotely true or accurate to any degree of the imagination.
Actually, I wasn't even considering some kind of intelligence requirement for voting.

I meant that we have an issue throughout the world - people not having access to accurate information for decision making - even important decisions, like who should lead your country.

Or at least it seems that way in the USA...

The decision was what, 52-48%?......Nearly half the country who actually voted disagrees with the outcome. Sometimes I think a simple majority rule should not be the standard for critically important decisions like this. There is no consensus even among the voters in this case. I therefore do not support the decision.

I am very proud of the UK leaving the European Union. The Brits are fed up with the tyranny they had to suffer for so long at the hands of the rest of Europe and leaving the European Union may be the best thing the UK has ever done. It's wrong for all of Europe to impose their will upon a nation, forcing the UK to do things against their own will. This is a major victory not only for the UK but also for freedom itself.

I am very proud of the UK leaving the European Union. The Brits are fed up with the tyranny they had to suffer for so long at the hands of the rest of Europe and leaving the European Union may be the best thing the UK has ever done. It's wrong for all of Europe to impose their will upon a nation, forcing the UK to do things against their own will. This is a major victory not only for the UK but also for freedom itself.

Do you live in the UK?

Do you live in the UK?

I don't have to live in the UK to understand the importance of freedom. The primary reason the EU was established was to enslave the Europeans, plain and simple. I'm very glad that the UK was the first nation to wake up to reality and realize that being controlled by other nations is absolutely wrong. Hopefully, other European nations will leave the useless EU and be their own nations for a change. It's better to be free than to be enslaved.

[*]If the UK gets into financial trouble, it won't have as much help
[*]It could hurt relations with other EU countries such as France and Germany
[*] The British pound has dropped in value after the Brexit
[*] This could cause the collapse of the EU as early as 2020

1. The UK was one of the strongest financial members of the EU to begin with. They survived for hundreds of years without the EU, something tells me they'll do fine.
2. Screw the EU. The only reason the EU fought so hard against the UK leaving is because the whole thing is about to collapse anyhow. And that's a good thing.
3. They expected it to. It will come back.
4. And this is a bad thing how?

I don't have to live in the UK to understand the importance of freedom. The primary reason the EU was established was to enslave the Europeans, plain and simple. I'm very glad that the UK was the first nation to wake up to reality and realize that being controlled by other nations is absolutely wrong. Hopefully, other European nations will leave the useless EU and be their own nations for a change. It's better to be free than to be a enslaved.

Oh, I was curious if you had any first hand information on what the EU was doing, exactly. So far the most tangible reason I've seen for UK citizens voting to leave was they believed (incorrectly) that they would stop immigration.

Oh, I was curious if you had any first hand information on what the EU was doing, exactly. So far the most tangible reason I've seen for UK citizens voting to leave was they believed (incorrectly) that they would stop immigration.

It's not about stopping immigrants. It's about stopping illegal aliens from entering their country illegally. The UK is fed up with the EU forcing foreigners down their throats so the foreigners can take advantage of the nation, which is what the foreigners are doing to America. Not only that, but the UK doesn't want to be bossed around by Brussels and let other EU countries take advantage of their money. I'd be ticked off too if my money is being seized by someone outside of my country. This goes to show that as long as people continue to pursue the illusion of control, all it will bring is pain and suffering. The UK doesn't want to be controlled anymore by the EU. People should never try to control other people.

It's not about stopping immigrants. It's about stopping illegal aliens from entering their country illegally. The UK is fed up with the EU forcing foreigners down their throats so the foreigners can take advantage of the nation, which is what the foreigners are doing to America. Not only that, but the UK doesn't want to be bossed around by Brussels and let other EU countries take advantage of their money. I'd be ticked off too if my money is being seized by someone outside of my country. This goes to show that as long as people continue to pursue the illusion of control, all it will bring is pain and suffering. The UK doesn't want to be controlled anymore by the EU. People should never try to control other people.

How did EU cause foreigners to enter the UK illegally? If they went through the proper channels then immigrants were legal.

Also benefits came with being a part of the EU so the money wasn't being "seized", they were purchasing very tangible conveniences. The Leave voters clearly didn't educate themselves on the issue before voting. Even when they were voting because of immigrants they were still wrong.

Brexit won't reduce immigration, explains Vote Leave campaigner | Metro News

One of the key figures in engineering the Brexit said the number of people coming to Britain will not go down – and said Vote Leave never promised it would.

Here's a site explaining the benefits of being in the EU. Leave Voters should have googled this before voting, not after.

What has the European Union ever done for us? | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Unfortunately, if they couldn't be bothered to learn about the issues before making such a monumental decision for their country, it's unlikely they'll properly inform themselves on why their country will enter into a massive recession. Much more likely is they'll blame whoever is in charge in London.

Last edited:

There should be some type of testing in order to get a license to vote though... need a license to fish or drive a car but not to have children or vote? Jeesh...

There should be some type of testing in order to get a license to vote though... need a license to fish or drive a car but not to have children or vote? Jeesh...
Having tests to be allowed to vote was one of the ways some southern states here in the USA prevented black people from voting - they made the tests unreasonably difficult, and didn't require them of white people.

I don't like the idea, for that reason among others.

Having tests to be allowed to vote was one of the ways some southern states here in the USA prevented black people from voting - they made the tests unreasonably difficult, and didn't require them of white people.

I don't like the idea, for that reason among others.

I agree and know about that and I don't like the idea either but there has to be a way. Maybe make a universal test upon graduating high school that everyone has to take. Same test given if failed open every five eyars or so. The way it is now is just stupid. Anybody can vote regardless of how little they know. Makes the whole process a popularity contest.

I agree and know about that and I don't like the idea either but there has to be a way. Maybe make a universal test upon graduating high school that everyone has to take. Same test given if failed open every five eyars or so. The way it is now is just stupid. Anybody can vote regardless of how little they know. Makes the whole process a popularity contest.

You can make questions like, "Is evolution real?" or "When does a life begin?" or "What are some exceptions to the 2nd amendment?"

Humans would have to create that universal test, and those same humans would decide the answers. A universal test is ridiculously vulnerable to shennanigans.

You can make questions like, "Is evolution real?" or "When does a life begin?" or "What are some exceptions to the 2nd amendment?"

Humans would have to create that universal test, and those same humans would decide the answers. A universal test is ridiculously vulnerable to shennanigans.

Have a committee that includes all races, genders, sexes, political affiliations, psychologists, etc to create the test. Shouldn't be that hard at all.

Have a committee that includes all races, genders, sexes, political affiliations, psychologists, etc to create the test. Shouldn't be that hard at all.

That committee would have to involve hundreds or even thousands of people. And you'd have to get them to unanimously agree on each question. I see logistical flaws to implementing this idea.

On June 23 2016, the UK casted a ballot which was in favor of leaving the EU.

Advantages:
  • The UK won't have to share its income with countries in financial trouble such as Greece or Spain
  • Less foreign workers will occupy jobs in the country
  • The UK will have more flexibility in its border control
  • The UK has quite a few differences from the rest of the EU such as driving on the left and using the British Pound as opposed to the Euro

• Disadvantages:
      • If the UK gets into financial trouble, it won't have as much help
      • It could hurt relations with other EU countries such as France and Germany
      • The British pound has dropped in value after the Brexit
      • This could cause the collapse of the EU as early as 2020

Rather than banning people from voting for lack of knowledge, ensure everyone knows.

That committee would have to involve hundreds or even thousands of people. And you'd have to get them to unanimously agree on each question. I see logistical flaws to implementing this idea.

I could see a hundred people or so but nowhere near thousands... and there probably would need to be a unanimous decision but we don't do that with education at the moment so would it really need to.

Rather than banning people from voting for lack of knowledge, ensure everyone knows.

As a teacher I can tell you that we really try already... it is up to the student to want to learn. Can't teach an unwilling or unintelligent mind.

I'm torn. I definitely don't like the EU, but I don't like the United Kingdom either.
I guess the UK may benefit from not existing anymore. :shrug: Who knows?

On June 23 2016, the UK casted a ballot which was in favor of leaving the EU.

Advantages:
  • The UK won't have to share its income with countries in financial trouble such as Greece or Spain
  • Less foreign workers will occupy jobs in the country
  • The UK will have more flexibility in its border control
  • The UK has quite a few differences from the rest of the EU such as driving on the left and using the British Pound as opposed to the Euro

• Disadvantages:
      • If the UK gets into financial trouble, it won't have as much help
      • It could hurt relations with other EU countries such as France and Germany
      • The British pound has dropped in value after the Brexit
      • This could cause the collapse of the EU as early as 2020

• It will be painful in the short term but I think in the long term it will be better for the UK to exit. I do not see politically nor economically that it would be better to stay. the pound has out performed the euro ( it was at least smart for the UK to keep the pound ).
      I just see the EU being dragged down economically by member states , in particular Greece but others too, and eventually it will drag down the stronger states with it. I would bet if Germany, the economic hub of the EU, had a vote that they wouldn't vote to leave but you would have a pretty significant portion of them voting to leave.

Those people that voted for exit now lost 9+% in buy power. When, on a micro scale, their buying power was growing. If, as is said, so many people that voted for Brexit were economically down and out, how do they feel going to market now? Without knowing what tomorrow will bring?

I could see a hundred people or so but nowhere near thousands... and there probably would need to be a unanimous decision but we don't do that with education at the moment so would it really need to.

You'd need each religion, each race, each gender...of each political affiliation. That would be thousands.

It will be painful in the short term but I think in the long term it will be better for the UK to exit. I do not see politically nor economically that it would be better to stay. the pound has out performed the euro ( it was at least smart for the UK to keep the pound ).
I just see the EU being dragged down economically by member states , in particular Greece but others too, and eventually it will drag down the stronger states with it. I would bet if Germany, the economic hub of the EU, had a vote that they wouldn't vote to leave but you would have a pretty significant portion of them voting to leave.

The reason the pound outperformed the Euro during their EU participation is that Britain got a favorable deal to come aboard to the EU. Versus the pound going down 9+% against the Dollar, the Euro and the German Mark came down less than 2% and 1% respectively over the same period of time since the Brexit vote. The Brits, with the prospect of Scotland and N. Ireland going their own way, are more concerned with holding their own than feeling assured it will all wash away.

Back
Top Bottom