• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you support the TPP?

Do you support the TPP?

• Total voters

Anagram

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Considering this is one of the few issues that really doesn't fall on political lines, I'm interested what DP thinks.

Obama's for it, and all but 5 Republican senators voted to fast track it. About a third of Democrat senators did as well. The vast majority of governors of both stripes support it, including Mike Pence.

On the other side, this is the one big issue that Trump and Sanders actually agree on. Clinton came out against it during the primary after some dithering. Most Democrats and a few Republican Senators are against it.

Here's the wiki article for it, for a brief overview of what it contains: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership

How many of you actually know WTF you are even talking about regarding the TPP?

How many of you have read the entire thing?

How many of you can even name all of the Countries involved? Or describe what the treaty actually does?

I bet the answer is not a damned one of you.

We live in a Country where one of the hottest political debates is over something neither side even knows WTF it is.
God, we're so smart.

How many of you can even name all of the Countries involved? Or describe what the treaty actually does?

We live in a Country where one of the hottest political debates is over something neither side even knows WTF it is.
God, we're so smart.

I haven't read the whole thing, but most of what I think is relevant.

I do think you're probably right that most people on both sides are uninformed about exactly what it is and what it does.

Considering this is one of the few issues that really doesn't fall on political lines, I'm interested what DP thinks.

Obama's for it, and all but 5 Republican senators voted to fast track it. About a third of Democrat senators did as well. The vast majority of governors of both stripes support it, including Mike Pence.

On the other side, this is the one big issue that Trump and Sanders actually agree on. Clinton came out against it during the primary after some dithering. Most Democrats and a few Republican Senators are against it.

Here's the wiki article for it, for a brief overview of what it contains: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership

Of course most of the Globalist "**** America" crowd voted for it.

No, I don't support TPP. One of the problems I have with TPP is that this whole deal was negotiated in secret. If the TPP is so beneficial to us, then why did the meetings have to be in secret?

Of course most of the Globalist "**** America" crowd voted for it.

Isn't the TPP a Conservative thing?

Yes the President is for it. But isn't that only due to compromise with a Republican Congress?
I am having a hard time finding reliable info on who initially supported this thing. But the Liberals seem to have always been against it.

It seems to be a Republican Congress that initially supported this thing, and the only way Obama will pass it is with Republicans.

So my question is why are you not bashing those Conservatives?

No, I don't support TPP. One of the problems I have with TPP is that this whole deal was negotiated in secret. If the TPP is so beneficial to us, then why did the meetings have to be in secret?

Greetings, TheGoverness. :2wave:

:agree: If it were that beneficial to our country, it would have been front-page news! We still don't know most of the "fine-print" details, which is usually the most important part of any contract, and how many months has it been? What are we losing now?

The only problem is the speed with which people can upgrade their capabilities and adapt to higher productivity jobs. It will certainly increase gdp and efficiency.

A better question I think is how many other deals like this happen with the public's input? Because I can't think of any, perhaps it's better that way.

Kim Jong Un voted Time magazine's 'person of the year' in reader's poll - thanks to a boost from hacker group 4Chan | Daily Mail Online

God, we're so smart.

You forgot to include those who will be voting on it in your list. Did all the congress critters voting for Obamacare, NAFTA, CAFTA, or any of these others secretly negotiated, big ticket, big impact bills or treaties, know precisely what was in said bill?

You forgot to include those who will be voting on it in your list. Did all the congress critters voting for Obamacare, NAFTA, CAFTA, or any of these others secretly negotiated, big ticket, big impact bills or treaties, know precisely what was in said bill?

Ask Nancy Pelosi lol...

Isn't the TPP a Conservative thing?

Yes the President is for it. But isn't that only due to compromise with a Republican Congress?
I am having a hard time finding reliable info on who initially supported this thing. But the Liberals seem to have always been against it.

It seems to be a Republican Congress that initially supported this thing, and the only way Obama will pass it is with Republicans.

So my question is why are you not bashing those Conservatives?

I said Globalist. That covers most of the above...Left or Right

God, we're so smart.

Is that the topic...what does the average DFer know about TPP?

Most smokey back-room deals are not advantageous to the masses.

I haven't read the whole thing, but most of what I think is relevant.

I do think you're probably right that most people on both sides are uninformed about exactly what it is and what it does.

I wonder why? It may be similar to the HCP. First it is passed, then we will find out more about it.
But we did elect representatives. They are the select deciding what is good for us, or not.

No, mainly because there has to be overdramatic leaks just to get any idea of what's going on with its negotiations.

Need more info!

Most smokey back-room deals are not advantageous to the masses.

But that is how sausage is made in DC. If you support that which benefits my campaign's funders then I will support that which benefits your campaign's funders - we both get re-elected so it's a win-win deal and the sheeple are none the wiser. ;)

But that is how sausage is made in DC. If you support that which benefits my campaign's funders then I will support that which benefits your campaign's funders - we both get re-elected so it's a win-win deal and the sheeple are none the wiser. ;)

Absolutely. I'm hoping someone can be elected to stop this crap. Remains to be seen.

Greetings, TheGoverness. :2wave:

:agree: If it were that beneficial to our country, it would have been front-page news! We still don't know most of the "fine-print" details, which is usually the most important part of any contract, and how many months has it been? What are we losing now?

What we're losing now is any hope of transparency. And honestly, a lack of transparency does no favors to help renew the people's trust in the government.

Absolutely. I'm hoping someone can be elected to stop this crap. Remains to be seen.

Not likely - the approval rate for congress critters is very low (17%?) while their re-election rate is very high (92%?). What we can count on is that the federal government will grow in both power and cost whether the party of big government (republicants) or the party of huge government (demorats) is in the majority.

I strongly support TPP, because if TPP goes away, then China's own trade pact that they're pushing will most likely be adopted by the Pacific Rim nations...and so China would gain in influence, and we would lose yet more influence.

Absolutely not, it is NAFTA on steroids. It disenfranchises the average worker and empowers a cross-national corporate class that already has too much power over our government (and others) as we speak.

I haven't actually read the thing, so I don't know. I'm inclined to support it. As with all of these trade deals, there are winners and losers. The losers know who they are, the winners may not even know they are winners until the trade agreement gets dissolved, and they become a loser.

Here is my other theory. Economic reality can only be held back so long by any form of protectionism. If you try to protect high prices in your local economy, to protect high wages, you become noncompetitive with the rest of the world. This rolls around in your economy, and people end up paying higher prices for everything, and then you have a lot of high priced merchandise that you can't sell internationally. Slowly others take your market share. Your units-sold goes down, and you fixed cost must be spread over fewer units, driving prices up farther. Eventually you can't export, and your economy stagnates. Then you are in a situation similar to greece, where your economy does not support the needs of the nation, and eventually, the chickens come home to roost, and everyone's standard of living takes a dramatic tumble. People bitch and riot, and the fault lies with some demagogue who told you 20 years ago that we just had to put tarrifs on other's goods coming into the US and you could keep your high paying job. But he did NOT explain the long term implications of the move, and you were too stupid and selfish to ask or care. You just wanted to keep your high paying job, right now, and the hell with the future.

I think that the TPP benefits us from a purely geopolitical standpoint, but that the economic ramifications, especially for the lower and middle classes, will be bad enough to make it ill conceived. From a humanitarian perspective it will be disastrous to emerging nations. I think that there are better ways to expand our sphere of influence, and that this avenue has been corrupted.

I don't like it. It's a tax cut for manufacturers and shippers and robs importing countries of need revenue. It's corporate welfare.

Back
Top Bottom