• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you support the proposed abortion legislation in NY?

Do you support the proposed abortion legislation in NY?

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Full text of the legislation here:

https://legislation.nysenate.gov/pdf/bills/2019/A21

It removes any time limitation on when an abortion can be performed.
It removes abortion from the definition of homicide.
It allows practitioners to perform abortions at any moment of pregnancy as long as they use "good faith" in why they're doing it ("life and health" of the mother). No, they don't define what "health" of the mother is so that's up to the practitioner's interpretation.

What say you? Should the 24 week limit on abortions be erased and be allowed at any moment in the pregnancy as long as the practitioner is acting in "good faith"?

Yes.

The state has no business in making a decision that should be done between a doctor and an individual.

Yes.

The state has no business in making a decision that should be done between a doctor and an individual.

Furthermore, the constitution does not give the govt the power to ban abortions at any time.

It allows practitioners to perform abortions at any moment of pregnancy as long as they use "good faith" in why they're doing it ("life and health" of the mother). No, they don't define what "health" of the mother is so that's up to the practitioner's interpretation.

What say you? Should the 24 week limit on abortions be erased and be allowed at any moment in the pregnancy as long as the practitioner is acting in "good faith"?

From what I have read about this issue, the intent of the legislation is to remove the procedure from the criminal code, and allow it to be regulated by the health and medical fields.
It is not changing the limits on abortion, but rather removing the issue from the criminal statutes.

I think this is a wise and long overdue change.

From what I have read about this issue, the intent of the legislation is to remove the procedure from the criminal code, and allow it to be regulated by the health and medical fields.
It is not changing the limits on abortion, but rather removing the issue from the criminal statutes.

I think this is a wise and long overdue change.

Removing it from the criminal code is removing the limits.

I have to read this again, but on first pass I do not support the legislation as written even though I generally support the idea that government should not be operating in the space of abortion.

I get what they are trying to do, but the risk is an unintended consequence.

They had to repeal or rewrite sections of the law to deal with the 24 week standard in terms of the various charges of murder, types of assault, what have you. What they address is a means of abortion to stay between a patient and a doctor, but they failed to address protections of someone younger than 24 months when it is not the patient and the doctor making that choice (I think.) I am also not too sure on the definitions from criminal investigations in the determination of reason for death (24 week standard or otherwise.)

Perhaps the way NY law is written they had no choice but to go down this road given prior confines. Unsure on this one my friends.

Voted I am not sure/maybe.

Perhaps I expressed that incorrectly. Your post seemed to indicate the NYS act was designed to remove limits on abortion. It is rather, removing abortion completely from the criminal code. It will no longer be a judgement call of politicians as to whether or not an abortion can be performed. It will be regulated by the standards of the health and medical fields. I am in favor of this change.

There's no need for any term limits on abortion, no elective abortions take place even near viability.

Many states and Canada have no limits already.

So yes, I support NY's proposal.

Such liberalization of legalization of unrestricted baby killing no doubt displeases God and pleases the bloody wicked devil.

Such liberalization of legalization of unrestricted baby killing no doubt displeases God and pleases the bloody wicked devil.

Nobody is killing any babies.

And nobody is aborting any late term fetuses by choice.

So calm down.

Last edited:

Then let God do the policing and STF out of it. It is the devil that wants illegal abortionists to prosper. BTW "God" is the #1 abortionist by far. Only 1/3 of fertilized eggs survive in nature.

Last edited:
Nobody is killing any babies.

And nobody is aborting any late term fetuses by choice.

So calm down.

I am convinced that God does not approve of actions designed to end a viable pregnancy and that the devil loves such terminations of living human tissues.

Then let God do the policing and STF out of it. It is the devil that wants illegal abortionists to prosper. BTW "God" is the #1 abortionist by far. Only 1/3 of fertilized eggs survive in nature.

Why should I STF out of it. You can just as easily STF out of it yourself instead.

Why should I STF out of it. You can just as easily STF out of it yourself instead.

I do and I am. What a women decides about her own body is between her and her Doctor. Especially as a man I have no rights at all in that area. You need to feel the same. Remember "Judge not lest ye be judged"?

Last edited:
I do and I am. What a women decides about her own body is between her and her Doctor. Especially as a man I have no rights at all in that area. You need to feel the same.

Sorry. I do not feel your bad opinions the same as you.

I support the proposed law in NY.

I am convinced that God does not approve of actions designed to end a viable pregnancy and that the devil loves such terminations of living human tissues.

That's nice.

I'm sure anyone else that shares your beliefs will behave in the manner you desire.

1.) It removes any time limitation on when an abortion can be performed.
2.) It removes abortion from the definition of homicide.
3.) It allows practitioners to perform abortions at any moment of pregnancy as long as they use "good faith" in why they're doing it ("life and health" of the mother). No, they don't define what "health" of the mother is so that's up to the practitioner's interpretation.
4.) What say you? Should the 24 week limit on abortions be erased and be allowed at any moment in the pregnancy as long as the practitioner is acting in "good faith"?

Currently my answer is "maybe" cause i havent read the link yet im just going off what you said above

1.) i was never for unlimited abortion at anytime, I always support 24 weeks and hvae said many times i could go down to 20 BUT it would still include all the same exceptions we have now health, deformity etc which is what the super vast majority of abortions over 20 weeks are anyway.
2.) ??? abortion by definition as factually never been homicide so i support that . . do you mean illegal abortions and abortions without consent being referred to as homicide? again ill have to look
3.) im totally fine with that and its how its should be as long as all the other regulations are followed.(safety etc) I would NEVER want the state to define what is life and death, i would however be ok with the medical community defining it and then having that turned into law.
4.) again i would need more info because right now thats basically how it is anyway but i would be cautious and probably not support it if it was too vague.

now i guess ill read some and see if i can make heads and tails out of it.

Yes abortion should be legalized if a women is not ready to accept a child yet in her life and doesn't feel her capable of handling such a big responsibility.

There are no elective late term abortions in the UNited States.

There are only 3 clinics and 4 clinic doctors who perform late term abortions in xterm cases here the woman’s life/health is in great danger if the pregnancy continued or the fetus hs major birth defects som of witch r incpmpatable with life.

In fact according to a 2003 Fox News article only 100 abortions in the third trimester (more than 24 weeks )occur in the US due to extreme medical reasons.

June 17, 2003
Of the 1.6 million abortions performed in the U.S. each year, 91 percent are performed during the first trimester (12 or fewer weeks' gestation); 9 percent are performed in the second trimester (24 or fewer weeks' gestation); and only about 100 are performed in the third trimester (more than 24 weeks' gestation),

https://www.foxnews.com/story/fast-facts-u-s-abortion-statistics

Last edited:
The devil then. Satan is the god of this world and Satan loves the baby butchery bloodbath unleashed by his deluded followers on earth.

Perhaps you are unaware but there re religions and church groups who are prochoice.

Many religions regard the woman as moral agent.

Soul competency is a very important religious tenet that is held by many main line Christian religions.

Many Christian faiths and other religious groups hold beliefs that reproductive choice including access to legal abortion is a part of our religious tenet.

We believe that "Each person and each community of believers has the right to follow the dictates of their conscience, without compulsion from authoritative structures. "

Here is a <SNIP> from an article about soul competency.

From a Huffington Post article:

Our faith tradition teaches soul competency, a Baptist principle that is violated in restricting the right to choose an abortion.
Our forebears suffered greatly, even to the point of death, to express their conviction that no one stands between the individual and God.

Furthermore, it is a it is God-given right to hold your own belief and to reject state-sponsored religion.

This is the core Baptist principle of soul competency -- belief in the ability of each person to "rightly divide the word of God" (2 Timothy 2: 15) and act accordingly. Each person and each community of believers has the right to follow the dictates of their conscience, without compulsion from authoritative structures.

Therefore, current legislation restricting women's reproductive choice also restricts moral choice.

To restrict a woman's choice is to refuse her soul freedom.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/donna...76219884114808

Reproductive choices including elective abortions are a moral choice.

From the RCRC

RCRC is unique in the reproductive health, rights and justice movements, because it draws on the moral power of diverse religious communities.

RCRC has proud roots in the Clergy Consultation Service on Abortion, the underground network of religious leaders created before Roe v. Wade. These brave people of conscience took risks to ensure that women could have the spiritual counseling they needed, and, if they chose, referral to a safe abortion provider.

Our Religious Beliefs Drive Our Advocacy Positions

Each woman’s complex and personal choices

Our religious principles: Compassion for the complex choices each individual may confront and the impact of these choices on families.

Our advocacy position: The decisions to become a parent, when and under what circumstances are deeply personal. These matters are best left to a woman to discern for herself in consultation with her family, her faith and others she may bring into the conversation.

The Moral Case – Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice

The devil then. Satan is the god of this world and Satan loves the baby butchery bloodbath unleashed by his deluded followers on earth.

Your god is the devil? To each his/her own.

Back
Top Bottom