• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you support the proposed abortion legislation in NY?

Do you support the proposed abortion legislation in NY?

• Total voters
If the woman and the baby can both be saved by induced labor, surgery or some other method then it's entirely inhuman to abort the baby.

And what makes you think that a woman/couple that waited and hoped all those months for a baby would NOT do that?

What's the reasoning there?

And what makes you think that a woman/couple that waited and hoped all those months for a baby would NOT do that?

What's the reasoning there?

If there's no reason for it then why is New York and Andrew Cuomo CELEBRATING the passage of the law? If nobody ever wanted to try it there'd be no need for a law declaring a right to kill your full term baby.

Last edited:
First, I'd note that the law doesn't say "doctor", it says "health care professional". Second, every time I think I've heard the worst thing a person can do someone else comes along to prove me wrong.

There do not need to be laws against things you imagine might happen. Especially when said laws are used to control the private medical decisions (a fundamental right) of women.

I imagine you would agree with me on this point if the subject were another controversial "right"

If there's no reason for it then why is New Your and Andrew Cuomo CELEBRATING the passage of the law? If nobody ever wanted to try it there'd be no need for a law declaring a right to kill your full term baby.

There is no law declaring a right to kill your full term baby.
Abortion was removed from the criminal code.
Abortion is considered a medical event, not a criminal one.

From the sound of things, if a woman is in her 42nd week of pregnancy and she and the "health care practitioner" decide that the pregnancy has gone on too long and that the woman's life might be negatively impacted they can terminate the pregnancy without any legal repercussions.

Frankly, that sounds a bit barbaric to me.

You do know that in that situation, they induce labour, right?

There is no law declaring a right to kill your full term baby.
Abortion was removed from the criminal code.
Abortion is considered a medical event, not a criminal one.

So are you saying that abortion isn't killing a baby or that a full term, yet unborn, fetus isn't a baby?

If you are that hell bent on aborting you baby, at least go and get sterilized in the same procedure and be done with it.
Then you can go and have the hedonistic, sexually promiscuous lifestyle you believe will lead to happiness in life.
:shrug:

Many women want to have a child, it's just not the right time. And you do realise that it's next to impossible to get a tubal ligation if you are childfree, right?

Hmmmmm.....perhaps the guy who knocked her up should have a vasectomy.....

You do know that in that situation, they induce labour, right?

Well, that's no longer required under New York law. If the parties involved feel a need to kill the baby then they are now free to do so.

So are you saying that abortion isn't killing a baby or that a full term, yet unborn, fetus isn't a baby?

Can you read? I pointed out that NY did not pass a LAW. They removed the issue from the criminal code. Abortions are a medical event. What I think effects the way I will behave without the benefit of the government instructing me. All the political posturing can end. Or keep it if you like in your state. NY is going a saner route.

Well, that's no longer required under New York law. If the parties involved feel a need to kill the baby then they are now free to do so.

Do you really think a woman who has gestated to 42 weeks (which is 2 weeks overdue) and is healthy with a healthy fetus is going to have it killed? Seriously?????

If there's no reason for it then why is New York and Andrew Cuomo CELEBRATING the passage of the law? If nobody ever wanted to try it there'd be no need for a law declaring a right to kill your full term baby.

Are you saying there are no other useless, feel-good laws that states and communities dont try to get rid of?

As I posted, it's a demonstrably harmful law.

You spend a lot of time agonizing over a situation that is so unlikely as to be impossible. You realize that medical practices are licensed and subject to regulatory agencies that protect the health of the population? That protocols exist for various events?

It's crazy to argue with people that reduce every argument to baby killing. Have fun.

If you are that hell bent on aborting you baby, at least go and get sterilized in the same procedure and be done with it.
Then you can go and have the hedonistic, sexually promiscuous lifestyle you believe will lead to happiness in life.
:shrug:

Over 60 percent of women who seek an abortion already have at least one born child.

This is by Rev.Debra W. Haffner
Abortion is a Moral Good

The right of an individual to make their own choice about whether or not they will offer their body in the support of another organism is a moral good.
The individual making a choice which will be most beneficial to them is a moral good, whether that choice is abortion or birth or both (and most women who have abortions, it should be noted, make different choices at different times in their lives).

The abortion procedure itself, like most other medical procedures, is a moral good. And like most other medical procedures, it is bad when done without consent, or when coercive. As is childbirth.

YOu know Luther, I was disgusted with Cuomo and the left extending the length of time an abortion can be performed.

What NY is doing is the complete opposite of many states in the union that are forging forward to lessen the opening of when an abortion would be legal.

Personally I think what NY has done that is so far from where many states are will aid in the next case that makes it to the SC to have abortion be returned to the states to handle.

And that will right a wrong long overdue.

Do you really think a woman who has gestated to 42 weeks (which is 2 weeks overdue) and is healthy with a healthy fetus is going to have it killed? Seriously?????

Like I said before, it nobody would ever consider doing it then why do you need a law which protects the "right" to do it?

YOu know Luther, I was disgusted with Cuomo and the left extending the length of time an abortion can be performed.

What NY is doing is the complete opposite of many states in the union that are forging forward to lessen the opening of when an abortion would be legal.

Personally I think what NY has done that is so far from where many states are will aid in the next case that makes it to the SC to have abortion be returned to the states to handle.

And that will right a wrong long overdue.

So you support useless, feel-good legislation that would only harm people?

Why? No such elective abortions take place.

All such a law would do is force additional horrific investigation and questioning by authorities of parents that were hoping and planning on a new family member and now find out that it is terminally defective or nearly so. It would compound their tragedy.

Like I said before, it nobody would ever consider doing it then why do you need a law which protects the "right" to do it?

Here's a good reason:

All such a law would do is force additional horrific investigation and questioning by authorities of parents that were hoping and planning on a new family member and now find out that it is terminally defective or nearly so. It would compound their tragedy.

Here's a good reason:

In such a situation, why abort? Why not induce or have a c-section and then let nature take it's course? If the ultimate result is going to be death of the baby no matter what you do then why kill it in utero? Why not acknowledge the humanity of the baby and treat it with the respect you would any other human?

In such a situation, why abort? Why not induce or have a c-section and then let nature take it's course? If the ultimate result is going to be death of the baby no matter what you do then why kill it in utero? Why not acknowledge the humanity of the baby and treat it with the respect you would any other human?

They usually do induce, but you have already been informed of this

Try to post less dishonestly

Removing it from the criminal code is removing the limits.

Not really. Medical boards have a tremendous amount of power over doctors. They can take their medical license away, for instance.

So you support useless, feel-good legislation that would only harm people?

Why?

Feel good legislation? :lol:

Why do you support legislation that allows women being put in a position as demi-gods that have the right to decide who gets to live and who is expendable?

You don't have a problem with a woman who feels the life she is carrying between 16 weeks and 25 weeks snuffing that life out. That's your prerogative.

All I can say to you is there's an army of us out there fighting for the rights of the unborn. And you may be surprised at the number of young people engaged. Young people are drawn to scientific study. And it is proving all that was once thought about the fetus and it's development is false. That little creature is far advanced in development than once known and it is that information that is changing the minds of young people.

So with NY extending the time allowed by their law for abortion while so many states are seeking to lessen theirs along with the scientific studies of proof how advance a fetus is, the SC will most likely throw abortion back to the states where it should have never left in the first place.

Suffering. Mother and baby. Btw, abortion at that point IS basically induced labor but the unborn is given a lethal injection with anesthetic. Why do you want to encourage more suffering for what appears, from your post, to only be a principle that probably isnt shared by the mother/couple?

And if you think for a moment that that mother or couple didnt acknowledge the 'humanity' of the new family member they already cherished, I dont have the words to explain.

Back
Top Bottom