• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you support the media doxxing regular people because of their political opinions?

Do you support the media doxxing regular people for their political opinions?

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.
He is living in Russian embassy after admitting to publishing classified information.

It’s beyond the pale.

Well, yes, lots of things are beyond the pale. I don’t really understand why you’d be for media posting that person’s phone numbers, addresses, etc. For what reason?

Let's just cut to the chase and say no one should be doxing anyone whether a person, place or thing.
Yes, it's not okay. I was horrified Trumpers tried doxxing the cop who shot Ashli Babbitt. He and his family had to go into hiding for awhile. That wasn't the government, though.

None of it is okay. I have no idea what Castro was thinking, but our political beliefs are our own and it should be private unless we choose to tell it.

Do you agree @JMB802?
First, I'd have to research what happened as no links were provided. And honestly, this thread topic and poll is so poorly worded that I can't believe I am wasting my time with it.

In general, should public figures bully "regular" private citizens to serve a personal agenda? Of course not.

Of course this should not happen. Those that play dumb just don't want to have to defend their wacko liberal media that have done so.
Is it crazy to ask for an example.
I don't believe it should happen to any average person, who may make an extreme statement, nor the elected officials. If you can't reach them at the office or an event, vote.

First, I'd have to research what happened as no links were provided. And honestly, this thread topic and poll is so poorly worded that I can't believe I am wasting my time with it.

In general, should public figures bully private citizens to serve a personal agenda? Of course not.

The question isn’t about just bullying or harassing, though. Doxxing goes beyond bullying. Posting your private information so that anyone who sees it can also harass you on the phone, in person, at your workplace, etc.

Let's just cut to the chase and say no one should be doxing anyone whether a person, place or thing.
So you believe that public figures shouldn't dox anyone or anything (not sure how you can dox a thing :unsure:) to serve a personal agenda?

OK? I’m sure his family members aren’t and he hasn’t been in prison for his entire life.
So did the government publish his number at the embassy? They should have kept where he was seeking sanctuary quiet? I suppose maybe. It probably would have leaked out, though. Did it happen or is that just a made up for instance?

The question isn’t about just bullying or harassing, though. Doxxing goes beyond bullying. Posting your private information so that anyone who sees it can also harass you on the phone, in person, at your workplace, etc.

I personally believe doxxing is a form of bullying. YMMV. Have a lovely day.

In a tweet on Monday night, Representative Joaquin Castro (D-TX-20) published a list of 44 private citizens in his hometown of San Antonio, all of whom are donors to President Trump, that included their names and employers. Eleven of those on the target list are retirees. One woman is described as a 'homemaker.'
Names & who they work for? I don't think that fits the definition given. No Address, No phone Number. It's more like taking the hood off. It's not like they shot Ashlie Babbet, the gave money to MAGA Cult.

Last edited:
I don't support it in the slightest.

I may completely disagree with conservatives and republicans but they're free to hold the opinions they do just as I am. I can disagree with them all day long but that's as far as it goes in a civil society.

So did the government publish his number at the embassy? They should have kept where he was seeking sanctuary quiet? I suppose maybe. It probably would have leaked out, though. Did it happen or is that just a made up for instance?

I don’t know. I’m not the one who brought him up. My poll is about regular ole people.

So you believe that public figures shouldn't dox anyone to serve a personal agenda?
No, not unless we are hunting for a criminal.
Political opinions are not criminal.

I personally believe doxxing is a form of bullying. YMMV. Have a lovely day.

Agreed. It’s a more intense form of it.

dox
/däks/

verb
INFORMAL
gerund or present participle: doxxing
  1. search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the internet, typically with malicious intent.
    "hackers and online vigilantes routinely dox both public and private figures"

Do you support the media finding and publishing phone numbers, addresses and other private information about non-famous, regular people because of their political opinions?

Generally no, though there is a grey area where the media may be justified in exposing the identity of someone posting anonymously, if its relevant to the story. Obviously what youre referring to, with a Washington Post contributor doxxing someone who retweets liberals on tik tok, with mean comments, is probably crossing the line. However, people doxxing that wapo contributor was probably wrong as well.

People should be free to post their opinions (anonymously if they choose) without fear of personal harrassment.

Im curious how they got a twitter users personal info.

That right there should not happen.
Please expound on your reasoning.

Rep. Castro tweeted a list obtainable via public records online. He tweeted a screenshot of the list in August 2019. Do you think he made the tweet with malicious intent?

If this is supposed to be about the Libs of Tik Tok twitter account, I looked into it and they 'revealed' her identity just by looking at old tweets from her account, which used to be under her own name before she changed the handle.

Please expound on your reasoning.

Rep. Castro tweeted a list obtainable via public records online. He tweeted a screenshot of the list in August 2019. Do you think he made the tweet with malicious intent?

What other intent would it be?

dox
/däks/

verb
INFORMAL
gerund or present participle: doxxing
  1. search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the internet, typically with malicious intent.
    "hackers and online vigilantes routinely dox both public and private figures"

Do you support the media finding and publishing phone numbers, addresses and other private information about non-famous, regular people because of their political opinions?

The person you're talking about (and implicitly defending) was making pedo-accusations about innocent people, and using her vitriol to steer conservative legislation.

And this is journalism 101. Yes, I support it. **** off.

The person you're talking about (and implicitly defending) was making pedo-accusations about innocent people, and using her vitriol to steer conservative legislation.

And this is journalism 101. Yes, I support it. **** off.

Wut?

It's called reporting.

What 'Libs of Tik Tok' was doing, by contrast, was called intimidation.

Is posting private addresses of regular people you disagree with ethical?

Back
Top Bottom