• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you support school uniforms?

What is your stance on School Uniforms?

• Yes and the school should offer them at no extra cost.

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Yes and the parents should pay for them.

Votes: 40 36.7%
  • They should be optional for students who want them

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • There should be school uniforms for specific activities only

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • We should leave it to the parents to decide if the school should have uniforms

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • We should leave it at municipal/state level

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • We shouldn't have school uniforms at all

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I like the current way things are.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I hate uniforms

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I'm a potato.

Votes: 13 11.9%

• Total voters
Ahh, I see. In the absence of any real or logical argument, you instead decide to blame me for the entire public school system. Got it. Thank goodness someone here isn't being ridiculous.

I think that you have this debate pegged...

You're a funny guy! :roll:

Hey, understanding women is easy for you, you are one.
I am beginning to get a little bit of understanding, having been married to one for 45 years and counting, but still see many places on the female map still marked "here there be dragons."

Hey, understanding women is easy for you, you are one.
I am beginning to get a little bit of understanding, having been married to one for 45 years and counting, but still see many places on the female map still marked "here there be dragons."

:lamo That is hilarious!

This is a copy/paste of a real letter written by a real high school student to a real school board.
I agree with her.
But before being too critical, remember that it was written by a child who is not here to defend herself.

It is an open letter but I will X the school name and student name because I don't think she meant "this open".

I am curious if this letter changes anyone's mind?
I was already against uniforms and so I am unable to tell if the letter merely enforces my own opinion or if it is good enough to change opinion.

It didn't change my mind at all, though it was a well-written letter. I'm in a fairly unique situation, as I grew up in a home with parents as teachers and administrators. I now work as a teacher and have family in administration. I have perspective and insights many people simply don't. All of which is to say the observations of a student, even when I was a student, simply are ignorant to the "big picture". I know things now I never would have known as a student. And I understand things now I never would have understood if I was just a teacher with no family in administration. Too many people don't know or understand the many variables which enter into equations and simply have no access to big picture data.

This student's letter was, almost entirely, conjecture, theory and anecdotal evidence. Furthermore, it appears as if the letter was written in the introductory phases of implementation, not after having time to work. Introductory phases to new policies are always bumpy, it's just inevitable. It's what happens over time which really counts. For what it's worth, it appears her school probably has some refining to do to the dress code, but that's not uncommon either. Implementing a huge change like this, it's not hard to see why some situations simply could not be foreseen and need to be addressed later.

This was a well-written letter, a letter in which the student should be proud, but it is, mostly, coming from a position of ignorance. I have no doubt the student is not privy to the information the school will have, and I have little doubt the dress policy simply has not had enough time to work out the kinks and have any real data on effectiveness.

So, no, it doesn't change my mind at all. I've seen firsthand the benefits a stricter dress code can have and I would remind her and everyone else the purpose of school is to learn, not to worry about what clothes you are wearing.

All brown uniforms would be best. No gang would use brown.

All brown uniforms would be best. No gang would use brown.
Oh wow, I totally missed that. It would change some of my perspectives and arguments (against the student and against the school), but my position would generally stay the same.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…