• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you support Antifa's protest of Tucker Carlson at his home?

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/media/tucker-carlson-protestors/index.html

(CNN)Police were called to the Washington, D.C. home of Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Wednesday night when a group of protesters showed up and shouted threats.

Smash Racism D.C., which calls itself an "anti-fascist," or Antifa, group, claimed responsibility for the protest on social media. It has previously targeted Ted Cruz, Kirstjen Nielsen, and other right-wing figures.
In videos uploaded to Twitter by the group on Wednesday, participants were heard saying "Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!" They called him a "racist scumbag" and hurled epithets.
The Twitter account also shared Carlson's address, which is a violation of Twitter's rules. By late Wednesday night, Twitter had suspended the group, which means the tweets and videos are now deleted.

In a statement on Thursday, the Metropolitan Police Department said it is conducting an investigation into the disturbance.

(CNN)Police were called to the Washington, D.C. home of Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Wednesday night when a group of protesters showed up and shouted threats.

Smash Racism D.C., which calls itself an "anti-fascist," or Antifa, group, claimed responsibility for the protest on social media. It has previously targeted Ted Cruz, Kirstjen Nielsen, and other right-wing figures.
In videos uploaded to Twitter by the group on Wednesday, participants were heard saying "Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!" They called him a "racist scumbag" and hurled epithets.
The Twitter account also shared Carlson's address, which is a violation of Twitter's rules. By late Wednesday night, Twitter had suspended the group, which means the tweets and videos are now deleted.

In a statement on Thursday, the Metropolitan Police Department said it is conducting an investigation into the disturbance.

Just another bait thread. Oh yeah, no poll.

Just another bait thread. Oh yeah, no poll.

Uh, there is a poll.

If you feel it's a bait thread, report it. :shrug:

I am all for freedom of expression, so in principle I am not against the protest per se.

However, I am also for law and order, as well as peace and quiet in one's neighborhood.

So if the protester's are making threats? Police should get involved.

If the protester's are violating disturbance of the peace laws? Police should get involved.

If the protester's are trespassing or vandalizing private property? Police should get involved.

Last edited:
I am all for freedom of expression, so in principle I am not against the protest per se.

However, I am also for law and order, as well as peace and quiet in one's neighborhood.

So if the protester's are making threats? Police should get involved.

If the protester's are violating noise laws? Police should get involved.

I agree with you. As usual.

Protests? Yes, and that is dependent upon local law ordinances. That means local protests may not be allowed legally. Threats? No.

Protests, including nasty protests, on public streets are fine. However, from what I am given to understand, there may have been threats and an attempt to break in to Carlson's home while his wife was there alone. That goes beyond mere "protest," and I would go so far as to call that attempted Breaking and Entering or even attempted burglary. Anyone who did that should be arrested and charged for the appropriate offense.

IF that is true it is horrible and I hope all those dicks get harassment charges...

Protests, including nasty protests, on public streets are fine. However, from what I am given to understand, there may have been threats and an attempt to break in to Carlson's home while his wife was there alone. That goes beyond mere "protest," and I would go so far as to call that attempted Breaking and Entering or even attempted burglary. Anyone who did that should be arrested and charged for the appropriate offense.

Well yeah, threats and trying to break in would be against the law. Hopefully they get arrested.

As long as the multimedia echo chamber, various law enforcement and their city superiors refuse to stop them, Antifa will keep on doing this stuff. They'll keep on ratcheting up the violence and aggression until someone gets killed. Then their media buddies can blame Antifa's target.

But Antifa is making a mistake with the kind of action they took against Carlson. If Carlson's wife had felt that her life was threatened, she could have opened fire on the mob...and she would face zero charges.

Calling it a protest is rather ridiculous, this was terrorism. Trying to break into a home and yelling out threats is something that should not be tolerated in this country.

Think about how absolutely terrifying that must have been to his wife and children to have someone trying to break down a door while an angry mob is chanting "we know where you sleep".

The right don't do this to the left.

I’m generally opposed to protesting at people’s homes.

I’m generally opposed to protesting at people’s homes.

As Tucker points out this was no protest, this was a straight up threat of violence, and actual violence.

We used to be better.

As Tucker points out this was no protest, this was a straight up threat of violence, and actual violence.

We used to be better.

True and it looks like law enforcement is investigating it as a crime. I’m just saying that even if there was no threat violence I would still oppose protesting at someone’s home. I don’t even like it when they do it to sex offenders so I sure am not going to approve of it for political adversaries.

True and it looks like law enforcement is investigating it as a crime. I’m just saying that even if there was no threat violence I would still oppose protesting at someone’s home. I don’t even like it when they do it to sex offenders so I sure am not going to approve of it for political adversaries.

I walk with you here....

Carlson told the Post that one of the individuals "actually cracked the front door" of his home.

I guess these criminals are lucky Carlson's wife didn't choose to defend herself. I think it's unfortunate.

We used to be better.

By definition, this was terrorism.
The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations*defines terrorism*as "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives" (28 C.F.R. Section 0.85).

By definition, this was terrorism.

They flat out said that their goal was to instill fear, there was never any doubt that this is terrorism.

And notice how silent way way way way way too many folks are.

WE USED TO BE BETTER!

Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.
-- Leonardo da Vinci​

I agree with Sally Kohn's sentiments expressed in her rebuke of the event, "Protest at Tucker Carlson's home went too far." I neither support nor don't support the protest action, but I do not condone the vandalism. The protesting sans the vandalism is fine, albeit annoying, by me.

Beyond that, however, my position on the matter is similar to the concern I expressed regarding the bombing attempt on Obama. Insofar as my mother lives just a few blocks from him (he's in Kent, she's in Spring Valley) I just hope nothing inadvertently "spills over" to her street/neighborhood/home.

It's one thing when one lives downtown -- say, in Penn Quarter, Foggy Bottom, Capitol Hill, Embassy Row, etc. -- or around a college; protests, marches, and the like come with the territory. The DC neighborhood in which Carlson lives, though it is inside the city limits, is a bedroom community just like others all around the country.

Until recently, one could simply live where one lives and if celebs moved into the neighborhood, well, they just did; they're just the new neighbor, and they wave and chat just like everyone else. Celebs' presence altered little or nothing, other than perhaps the traffic....Maybe one was moved to stroll to the house and ask the person to caution their visitors to slow the hell down when driving through the neighborhood...That's someone anyone might have said to any neighbor, most often (though not frequently), however, with regard to their teenage kids who'd only recently begun to drive. These days, however, it seems advocates/protesters of all stripes seem to have no respect for others who find themselves adjacent to the objects of the protest/advocacy action.

If the protesters want to stand before Carlson's or another luminary's home and chant some refrain, while that's a behavior that used to be unheard of in neighborhoods like his, I have no problem with it, though I feel for his neighbors who have to endure the added hubbub. Provided would-be protesters know what they're doing and where to direct their distaste, fine, so long as they refrain from exacting physical violence/vandalism on Carlson, his neighbors, and their property. It's surely not what any of us who find celebs have moved into the neighborhood bargained for, but we can deal with it.

That said, I would prefer protesters stay the hell out of residential neighborhoods, not because I don't want the protesting to happen, but because people these days seem unable to contain themselves when they express their passionately held disapprobation. It's the risk such people pose that I don't much care for.

Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are dyed red with innocent blood.
-- Mahatma Gandhi​

QS_3895f299ae994768b09dbe5e11daa1b6.jpg

Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.
-- Leonardo da Vinci​

I agree with Sally Kohn's sentiments expressed in her rebuke of the event, "Protest at Tucker Carlson's home went too far." I neither support nor don't support the protest action, but I do not condone the vandalism. The protesting sans the vandalism is fine, albeit annoying, by me.

Beyond that, however, my position on the matter is similar to the concern I expressed regarding the bombing attempt on Obama. Insofar as my mother lives just a few blocks from him (he's in Kent, she's in Spring Valley) I just hope nothing inadvertently "spills over" to her street/neighborhood/home.

It's one thing when one lives downtown -- say, in Penn Quarter, Foggy Bottom, Capitol Hill, Embassy Row, etc. -- or around a college; protests, marches, and the like come with the territory. The DC neighborhood in which Carlson lives, though it is inside the city limits, is a bedroom community just like others all around the country.

Until recently, one could simply live where one lives and if celebs moved into the neighborhood, well, they just did; they're just the new neighbor, and they wave and chat just like everyone else. Celebs' presence altered little or nothing, other than perhaps the traffic....Maybe one was moved to stroll to the house and ask the person to caution their visitors to slow the hell down when driving through the neighborhood...That's someone anyone might have said to any neighbor, most often (though not frequently), however, with regard to their teenage kids who'd only recently begun to drive. These days, however, it seems advocates/protesters of all stripes seem to have no respect for others who find themselves adjacent to the objects of the protest/advocacy action.

If the protesters want to stand before Carlson's or another luminary's home and chant some refrain, while that's a behavior that used to be unheard of in neighborhoods like his, I have no problem with it, though I feel for his neighbors who have to endure the added hubbub. Provided would-be protesters know what they're doing and where to direct their distaste, fine, so long as they refrain from exacting physical violence/vandalism on Carlson, his neighbors, and their property. It's surely not what any of us who find celebs have moved into the neighborhood bargained for, but we can deal with it.

That said, I would prefer protesters stay the hell out of residential neighborhoods, not because I don't want the protesting to happen, but because people these days seem unable to contain themselves when they express their passionately held disapprobation. It's the risk such people pose that I don't much care for.

Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are dyed red with innocent blood.
-- Mahatma Gandhi​

QS_3895f299ae994768b09dbe5e11daa1b6.jpg

My issue with your response is defining their actions as a protest. They weren't there to express their disapproval of him and his views, they were there to instill fear and intimidate. I wouldn't even be bothered if they were simply protesting outside his property (I would think it was rude, just not a big deal), but chanting "we know where you sleep" is explicitly a threat and should be condemned. Even if you think Tucker is a vile POS that deserves it, his wife and children are completely innocent and shouldn't have to be subjected to such behavior.

Sounds more like they were terrorizing rather than protesting.

My issue with your response is defining their actions as a protest. They weren't there to express their disapproval of him and his views, they were there to instill fear and intimidate. I wouldn't even be bothered if they were simply protesting outside his property (I would think it was rude, just not a big deal), but chanting "we know where you sleep" is explicitly a threat and should be condemned. Even if you think Tucker is a vile POS that deserves it, his wife and children are completely innocent and shouldn't have to be subjected to such behavior.
Red:
I don't concur with you.
  • The video of the event sure looks like a protest to me the protestors don't at all appear threatening, but they do look annoying.
  • Yes, pounding hard enough on the door to crack it would seem threatening to people inside the house. I really can't say whether damaging the door was among the protesters' intended ends or whether it resulted from simple imprudence. What I seen in the video that's been released doesn't suggest they were there to physically hurt anyone.
  • The protesters spray painted the man's driveway. I cannot condone that, but neither can I call their doing so a violent act. Neither is their doing so an explicit threat of any sort.
Moreover, I haven't any regard for, nor do I place reliance upon, your claim that the protesters were there "to instill fear and intimidate" because your analysis of the matter has led you to classify an implicit threat as explicit. That you have and that neither term is abstruse or advanced, illustrates a clear miscomprehension of the basic nature of simple behavior (I presume you, like anyone over 12, know the meanings of the two words); thus I'm not about to trust your analysis of complex attitudes and/or expressions of them.
  • Note: The above isn't meant as an insult. It's merely my applying skills from teaching, parenting, communication, and consulting to discern whether a discussant comprehends fully the topic at hand. Were you my child, charges or clients, I would have instead expounded on the matter being discussed to enhance his comprehension of it. But you're none of those folks, so I'm merely sharing the fact of my discounting of your analysis and why it's thus.

Blue:
His wife is, well, his wife; she agreed to endure such when she vowed to take Tucker for "better and worse." It's not a normative matter as goes her exposure to such behavior and risks. She and he are grown and adequately intelligent people -- the nature of the sociopolitical climate could not have been unknown to or unforeseeable by them -- who moved into that home when they could as well have chosen one a gated community or one protected by a fence/wall.

Do I blame the Carlsons for having to endure protesters as a result of living in a home that anyone can approach? No. Even so, they had to have known the risks they were taking and the fact is they opted to take them.

We all face choices that come with risks and we make our choices, with eyes wide open, to either assume the risk or not to. None of us -- not the Carlsons, not I, not Momma, not you or anyone else -- gets to blame others because we opted to take on a given risk that materializes into reality. When the risk simply isn't reasonably foreseeable, it's a different matter, but the risk of a figure like Carlson having protesters appear to share their beefs with him is very foreseeable. (For his neighbors who have no notable celebrity among the general public, however, such a happenstance isn't foreseeable.)

As for his kids, I agree with your normative assessment about risks to which they be subjected. That said, I recognize too that offspring are necessarily subjected to the their parents' circumstances. That's both good and bad for kids, but it's an unavoidable consequence of being the kids of whoever be their parents. It's thus, IMO, the parents' job to mitigate the perils (as well as enhance the positives) their kids may face as a result of merely being their kids.
  • To wit: I chose to send my kids to schools in the middle of nowhere, in part, to reduce their exposure to the risk of things like school shootings and other horror some maniac may exact in DC. It certainly wasn't because no school in DC could ably educate them, and it wasn't because I thought someone might specifically target me or my kids. I simply wasn't willing to forbear their being at greater risk when I was able to place them at less risk.

Mitigating risk isn't a new thing that parents must undertake. It's merely that the types of risks are different now than when I was a kid. One can ignore the "writing on the wall" if one wants...So long as one knows that doing so may be to one's detriment.

Red:
I don't concur with you.
  • The video of the event sure looks like a protest to me the protestors don't at all appear threatening, but they do look annoying.
  • Yes, pounding hard enough on the door to crack it would seem threatening to people inside the house. I really can't say whether damaging the door was among the protesters' intended ends or whether it resulted from simple imprudence. What I seen in the video that's been released doesn't suggest they were there to physically hurt anyone.
  • The protesters spray painted the man's driveway. I cannot condone that, but neither can I call their doing so a violent act. Neither is their doing so an explicit threat of any sort.
Moreover, I haven't any regard for, nor do I place reliance upon, your claim that the protesters were there "to instill fear and intimidate" because your analysis of the matter has led you to classify an implicit threat as explicit. That you have and that neither term is abstruse or advanced, illustrates a clear miscomprehension of the basic nature of simple behavior (I presume you, like anyone over 12, know the meanings of the two words); thus I'm not about to trust your analysis of complex attitudes and/or expressions of them.
  • Note: The above isn't meant as an insult. It's merely my applying skills from teaching, parenting, communication, and consulting to discern whether a discussant comprehends fully the topic at hand. Were you my child, charges or clients, I would have instead expounded on the matter being discussed to enhance his comprehension of it. But you're none of those folks, so I'm merely sharing the fact of my discounting of your analysis and why it's thus.

Blue:
His wife is, well, his wife; she agreed to endure such when she vowed to take Tucker for "better and worse." It's not a normative matter as goes her exposure to such behavior and risks. She and he are grown and adequately intelligent people -- the nature of the sociopolitical climate could not have been unknown to or unforeseeable by them -- who moved into that home when they could as well have chosen one a gated community or one protected by a fence/wall.

Do I blame the Carlsons for having to endure protesters as a result of living in a home that anyone can approach? No. Even so, they had to have known the risks they were taking and the fact is they opted to take them.

We all face choices that come with risks and we make our choices, with eyes wide open, to either assume the risk or not to. None of us -- not the Carlsons, not I, not Momma, not you or anyone else -- gets to blame others because we opted to take on a given risk that materializes into reality. When the risk simply isn't reasonably foreseeable, it's a different matter, but the risk of a figure like Carlson having protesters appear to share their beefs with him is very foreseeable. (For his neighbors who have no notable celebrity among the general public, however, such a happenstance isn't foreseeable.)

As for his kids, I agree with your normative assessment about risks to which they be subjected. That said, I recognize too that offspring are necessarily subjected to the their parents' circumstances. That's both good and bad for kids, but it's an unavoidable consequence of being the kids of whoever be their parents. It's thus, IMO, the parents' job to mitigate the perils (as well as enhance the positives) their kids may face as a result of merely being their kids.
  • To wit: I chose to send my kids to schools in the middle of nowhere, in part, to reduce their exposure to the risk of things like school shootings and other horror some maniac may exact in DC. It certainly wasn't because no school in DC could ably educate them, and it wasn't because I thought someone might specifically target me or my kids. I simply wasn't willing to forbear their being at greater risk when I was able to place them at less risk.

Mitigating risk isn't a new thing that parents must undertake. It's merely that the types of risks are different now than when I was a kid. One can ignore the "writing on the wall" if one wants...So long as one knows that doing so may be to one's detriment.

Pounding on someone's door (enough to crack it) while chanting implicit threats, and also discussing pipe bombs in front of their security cameras (is that explicit enough for you?) Isn't protesting, it is terrorism.

As long as the multimedia echo chamber, various law enforcement and their city superiors refuse to stop them, Antifa will keep on doing this stuff. They'll keep on ratcheting up the violence and aggression until someone gets killed. Then their media buddies can blame Antifa's target.

But Antifa is making a mistake with the kind of action they took against Carlson. If Carlson's wife had felt that her life was threatened, she could have opened fire on the mob...and she would face zero charges.

You'll be happy to know the cops showed up and stopped them.

Back
Top Bottom