• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you support Antifa's protest of Tucker Carlson at his home?

Do you support Antifa's protest of Tucker Carlson at his home?

• Total voters
How am I contradicting myself? I am saying that a President's words should only have influence over the specific area of his authority, i.e., the actions of the Executive Branch of government. And there they should stop, because as a human being, a President's words should have no more influence over your personal life than the words head of your local branch of the DMV over your personal life. Unless you are dealing directly with the DMV, who cares what he or she says or thinks?

You're further demonstrating your wish that we live in a universe in which the President has no influence over the people of the country. Again, this is not that universe, especially since I've seen Republicans act increasingly like him since his election.

Yes. Simply put, Donald Trump is a bad human being. That is not to discount the fact that I believe he sometimes makes good decisions in his office as the President. But he is still an intractably dishonest tub-thumper who cannot be trusted any further than he can be thrown.

Did you vote for that bad human being? Or, realizing that you work with the Republican President you get and not the Republican President you want, you chose to stand by him and defend him in the face of Democrat/Left criticism? If either of these are true, then there is a price to pay for that decision. Giving him the support he needs to behave as he does results in things like this happening, such as Antifa acting on the President's words to harass a member of the "fake news." This is the price. You want to believe that this is a universe in which no price is to be paid for buttressing a genuinely bad human being, but again, this is not that universe.

If that is your position, alright. I certainly agree that murder as an instrument of terror is worse than vandalizing or attempting to break into one's home, and loudly shouting threats at one's family outside of one's home. But political terrorism is a gradient, not simply an act of killing. It takes multiple forms, from threats shouted on the streets, to mailing death threats or chemical substances, to physically accosting and assault, to mobs battering a person, to kidnapping, up to and including murder and mass murder. It all has the same purpose: to intimidate into silence or eliminate one's political opposition through the use of terror. It is all reprehensible, and those who engage in political terrorism must be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Harassment (perhaps even criminal harassment) is now terrorism? Regardless, whether or not it's deserving of the term "terrorism," their behavior is still consistent with the position of the President.

Well, considering that 91% of this poll (32 people) declared that they do not support ANTIFA's protest at Carlson's home, your sly comment about how silent folks are appears politically angled and a little bit of nonsense.

The fact of the matter is that until ANTIFA members start sending bombs to Republican politicians or massacring Jews and blacks in their places of worship, most folks just aren't that concerned with ANTIFA's confrontation with the alt-Right or harassments towards right-wing pundits. This is just the nature of the beast. No doctor cares about your bruised shoulder as long as you have a gushing head wound. All ANTIFA is managing to do is offer conservatives a distraction to the extremism that displays itself quite openly at our President's rallies.

Calling this terrorism? Sure. But at least nobody mailed Carlson a bomb.

Nobody has been mailing bombs, one guy was mailing fake bombs..... and my point was that in the American conversation very few people are vigorously condemning this terrorism....or even showing that they understand that this was terrorism not protest.

What ANTIFA is doing since you brought it up is destroying trust and spreading chaos...and man that sure is not good for us.

The home is sacred and off-limits; Antifa was absolutely in the wrong here. It's one thing to confront/protest people in public spaces, entirely another to do it at someone's house (nevermind the threatening language!). What's especially bad is that the guy has kids; I can only imagine how scared they were.

A take on it I generally agree with:

https://youtu.be/J8Q6ekSJxnI?t=7

Last edited:
The home is sacred and off-limits; Antifa was absolutely in the wrong here. It's one thing to confront/protest people in public spaces, entirely another to do it at their house. What's especially bad is that the guy has kids; I can only imagine how scared they were.

A take on it I generally agree with:

https://youtu.be/J8Q6ekSJxnI?t=7

When Trump called fake news the "enemy of the people," perhaps he should have specified which fake news was the enemy of the people, or which actions were appropriate to take in order to combat the enemy of the people. He also, of course, should have said that people's homes were sacred and off limits. Unfortunately, he left it up to everybody's interpretation, which is why we are where we are.

When Trump called fake news the "enemy of the people," perhaps he should have specified which fake news was the enemy of the people, or which actions were appropriate to take in order to combat the enemy of the people. He also, of course, should have said that people's homes were sacred and off limits. Unfortunately, he left it up to everybody's interpretation, which is why we are where we are.

Trump may be a bad guy who gives bad people a pass they don't deserve, all while spewing verbal diarrhea on a continual basis and emboldening/galvanizing right wing crazies, but he's not at all culpable for this.

Personally I approve of virtually all of what Antifa stands for, but there's no question their methods involve excesses from time to time, and this was absolutely one such instance of that; we're supposed to be better than the other side, and this sort of thing does nothing but work against us, gifting the right with legitimate ammo and laying the foundation for water muddying and false equivalencies.

You can protest any way you like, and others might choose another method. That's fine IMO.

As to this case, as I said I don't approve...

I fundamentally disagree if you mean "any difficulty" literally. "the right of the people peaceably to assemble" does not at all IMO mean, "the right of the people to peaceably assemble in a manner that imposes no inconvenience on anyone at all." I guess the way I'd look at is if there is no injustice or government wrongdoing for which you'd be unwilling to even block a sidewalk, or temporarily block a street, then you haven't identified any actually significant injustice or wrongdoing.

Who is the target audience? To "block" a thoroughfare, even temporarily, creates a situation where some may feel endangered which can easily escalate producing a violent reaction. If protesters block a road and one is seen by the driver approaching the vehicle with a bat or some other threatening object in hand, I would feel it to be a rational reaction to blow the horn and drive through the mob if they did not make way.
Free speech is much like consensual sex, no means no. There is no implied right to hold an audience captive, in which case any resulting action should be considered to be defensive and provoked.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/media/tucker-carlson-protestors/index.html

(CNN)Police were called to the Washington, D.C. home of Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Wednesday night when a group of protesters showed up and shouted threats.

Smash Racism D.C., which calls itself an "anti-fascist," or Antifa, group, claimed responsibility for the protest on social media. It has previously targeted Ted Cruz, Kirstjen Nielsen, and other right-wing figures.
In videos uploaded to Twitter by the group on Wednesday, participants were heard saying "Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!" They called him a "racist scumbag" and hurled epithets.
The Twitter account also shared Carlson's address, which is a violation of Twitter's rules. By late Wednesday night, Twitter had suspended the group, which means the tweets and videos are now deleted.

In a statement on Thursday, the Metropolitan Police Department said it is conducting an investigation into the disturbance.

I do. Carlson is a propagandist for state television. CEOs have had their homes protested as well: it's a free country.

Who is the target audience? To "block" a thoroughfare, even temporarily, creates a situation where some may feel endangered which can easily escalate producing a violent reaction. If protesters block a road and one is seen by the driver approaching the vehicle with a bat or some other threatening object in hand, I would feel it to be a rational reaction to blow the horn and drive through the mob if they did not make way.
Free speech is much like consensual sex, no means no. There is no implied right to hold an audience captive, in which case any resulting action should be considered to be defensive and provoked.

We just do not agree on this. Do you think the civil rights marches didn't often block sidewalks or roads? Of course, and they were peaceful means to protest injustices in the South. They were great moments in U.S. history as well.

Your attempt to move the goal posts by introducing someone in the march threatening a bystander's life with a bat isn't persuasive. That's no longer a "peaceful" protest when bystanders are credibly threatened with bodily harm.

Again, "I guess the way I'd look at is if there is no injustice or government wrongdoing for which you'd be unwilling to even block a sidewalk, or temporarily block a street, then you haven't identified any actually significant injustice or wrongdoing."

We just do not agree on this. Do you think the civil rights marches didn't often block sidewalks or roads? Of course, and they were peaceful means to protest injustices in the South. They were great moments in U.S. history as well.

Your attempt to move the goal posts by introducing someone in the march threatening a bystander's life with a bat isn't persuasive. That's no longer a "peaceful" protest when bystanders are credibly threatened with bodily harm.

Again, "I guess the way I'd look at is if there is no injustice or government wrongdoing for which you'd be unwilling to even block a sidewalk, or temporarily block a street, then you haven't identified any actually significant injustice or wrongdoing."

I have no problem with street protests, IF they are done with permission, blocking the street from traffic for a predefined period of time, making it safe for the protesters with traffic diverted around.
I've not moved the goal posts, but protesters simply approaching the vehicle can be considered threatening as they could easily have some form of weapon concealed, and cars are quite easy to break into.
Read my first sentence.

ANTIFA is left wing thugs. Well financed and directed by someone. They're the Brownshirts of the Democratic party.

Tucker Carlson is a baiting racist.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/01/11/tucker-carlson-asks-why-the-outrage-on-trumps-shthole-comments/

Fox News host Tucker Carlson defended President Donald Trump’s Thursday comments about immigrants coming to America from “****hole” countries, and said the media’s visceral outrage over the story was preposterous.

Like Trump, Carlson supports the notion that the greatness of a country is measured by wealth. And yet, Carlson never even mentions the Trump skyrocketing deficit, which under the same notion, would make us a not-so-great country.

There should be a law allowing protests to take place ONLY at predetermined locations, for a predefined period of time, requiring the area to be left in the same condition it was prior to the protest, and NO ONES residence, regardless of any reason at all, should be permitted to be a place of protest. Stiff fines AND/or jail time should be the result of any violation of said law adequate to cover ALL the costs incurred as the result of both legal and illegal protests.

Tucker Carlson is a baiting racist.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/01/11/tucker-carlson-asks-why-the-outrage-on-trumps-shthole-comments/

Fox News host Tucker Carlson defended President Donald Trump’s Thursday comments about immigrants coming to America from “****hole” countries, and said the media’s visceral outrage over the story was preposterous.

You know, if the ****hole comment was racist, your post might have merit... but it wasn't, so all you're doing is using a lie to advance your political agenda.

I find that rather pathetic.

(CNN)Police were called to the Washington, D.C. home of Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Wednesday night when a group of protesters showed up and shouted threats.

Smash Racism D.C., which calls itself an "anti-fascist," or Antifa, group, claimed responsibility for the protest on social media. It has previously targeted Ted Cruz, Kirstjen Nielsen, and other right-wing figures.
In videos uploaded to Twitter by the group on Wednesday, participants were heard saying "Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!" They called him a "racist scumbag" and hurled epithets.
The Twitter account also shared Carlson's address, which is a violation of Twitter's rules. By late Wednesday night, Twitter had suspended the group, which means the tweets and videos are now deleted.

In a statement on Thursday, the Metropolitan Police Department said it is conducting an investigation into the disturbance.

I say no. I just hope the handful of people who voted yes realize that whatever the left does to the left the right will do right back at them.

I say no. I just hope the handful of people who voted yes realize that whatever the left does to the left the right will do right back at them.

You mean they would just protest at their homes instead of shooting them, running them over or mailing them pipe bombs? I'd call that a significant improvement.

Last edited:
There's a lot to unpack from your post. It implies that Trump isn't their President, or that only Republicans are allowed to take his words to heart, or that Trump's words are only allowed to be applied to all media except ultra right wing propaganda outlets.

But maybe Antifa concluded that, hey, fake news is the enemy of the people, and they acted accordingly.

I voted no. Antifa groups are militant groups that attack right wing militant groups on line and directly as in counter protests. This is the first I have seen of them identifying a right wing pundit's home and protesting there. I think
people and their property should be respected; even people you vehemently disagree with politically. All Antifa has done in this case is give TC fodder for his right wing cannon. I guess Antifa has decided TC is right wing AND militant or he would not have been challenged at his home.

i would rather have a protest outside my house or be called names than to be killed or bombed by right wing MAGA ...Antifa are light weights compared to Trumps people

No - going to his home is taking it too far.

Back
Top Bottom