• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you support Antifa's protest of Tucker Carlson at his home?

Do you support Antifa's protest of Tucker Carlson at his home?

• Total voters
Antifa seems to be the epitome of a fascist organization.

You'll be happy to know the cops showed up and stopped them.

Yes. I'm happy that no one got killed.

But what about next time? (You KNOW there'll be a next time, right?)

Protests, including nasty protests, on public streets are fine. However, from what I am given to understand, there may have been threats and an attempt to break in to Carlson's home while his wife was there alone. That goes beyond mere "protest," and I would go so far as to call that attempted Breaking and Entering or even attempted burglary. Anyone who did that should be arrested and charged for the appropriate offense.

Yeah, I kind of hope the videos they made make prosecuting them easy. It's especially gutless and indefensible that they did this when they should have known Carlson wasn't at home and they'd be terrifying his wife home alone. No way to defend this kind of crap...

You'll be happy to know the cops showed up and stopped them.

I equate their actions to be more similar to yelling "Fire" or "Bomb" in a crowd, and such protesters should be arrested, fined, and made to restore any property damages to their original state.

Yes. I'm happy that no one got killed.

But what about next time? (You KNOW there'll be a next time, right?)

I hope the cops stop them then like they did here, because they were breaking the law.

I equate their actions to be more similar to yelling "Fire" or "Bomb" in a crowd, and such protesters should be arrested, fined, and made to restore any property damages to their original state.

The story says the cops are treating the incident as a criminal matter, and I'm glad they are and will be happy if some fairly significant number of these assholes are arrested and charged with crimes.

I'm a big fan of protest, or at least defending our right TO protest, and certainly Tucker Carlson is a fair target IMO. He's flame thrower who enjoys pissing off others, belittling them, etc. But what these Antifa types did here was indefensible.

Yeah, I kind of hope the videos they made make prosecuting them easy. It's especially gutless and indefensible that they did this when they should have known Carlson wasn't at home and they'd be terrifying his wife home alone. No way to defend this kind of crap...

Absolutely. There's no excuse for this. None. A mob terrorizing anyone in their own homes is absolutely horrifying.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/media/tucker-carlson-protestors/index.html

(CNN)Police were called to the Washington, D.C. home of Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Wednesday night when a group of protesters showed up and shouted threats.

Smash Racism D.C., which calls itself an "anti-fascist," or Antifa, group, claimed responsibility for the protest on social media. It has previously targeted Ted Cruz, Kirstjen Nielsen, and other right-wing figures.
In videos uploaded to Twitter by the group on Wednesday, participants were heard saying "Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!" They called him a "racist scumbag" and hurled epithets.
The Twitter account also shared Carlson's address, which is a violation of Twitter's rules. By late Wednesday night, Twitter had suspended the group, which means the tweets and videos are now deleted.

In a statement on Thursday, the Metropolitan Police Department said it is conducting an investigation into the disturbance.

Of course not, no matter how much of a disgusting person someone is, even someone like Tucker Carlson needs to be safe at home, he and his family need to have protection of the sanctity of personal private home space. Now if he is out in public then fine, protest him, but at home he should not be bothered or targeted by protests outside his own door.

There is just no justification to do things like that.

Pounding on someone's door (enough to crack it) while chanting implicit threats, and also discussing pipe bombs in front of their security cameras (is that explicit enough for you?) Isn't protesting, it is terrorism.

Red:
No, because, aside from perhaps the door pounding -- which, as I wrote before, hasn't been established as an overt vs. an imprudent yet accidental act -- the acts you've noted are not at all explicit threats.
  • Explicit: Delivering/deploying bombs.
    Implicit: Talking about bombs.
  • Implicit: Chanting implicit threats. (Did you watch the video? I don't hear in it threats of any sort.)

Blue:
I have to ask why anyone should believe Carlson's claims of violence having transpired. There's no question that the protesters were there and that they spray painted his driveway. What's not been established by any video or audio are any of the more ominous details that he's also alleged.

Has he released security camera footage and sound of the protesters? If so, great, but I haven't seen it and given conservatives' willingness to declare as "fake news" reports of damn near anything for which there's not "smoking gun" grade evidence, it's rather astounding that Carlson hasn't corroborated his claims by proffering video and audio footage from his own friggin' security cameras.

That's the burden of proof to which Carlson and other right wingers hold folks on the left. One'd think he'd at least live up to that very standard when he's making an allegation he wants everyone to take as factually truthful, real, and accurate.

glikemc5.jpg

Or, if one prefers...

55ff3347289563e43bb8a252acf833ff.jpg

The story says the cops are treating the incident as a criminal matter, and I'm glad they are and will be happy if some fairly significant number of these assholes are arrested and charged with crimes.

I'm a big fan of protest, or at least defending our right TO protest, and certainly Tucker Carlson is a fair target IMO. He's flame thrower who enjoys pissing off others, belittling them, etc. But what these Antifa types did here was indefensible.

I support free speech, but the way I protest those I disagree with is to simply ignore and avoid them. This story, in my opinion, is more of an invasion or an attack on an individual, his family and personal property, which I don't support at all.

Protests, when they impose any difficulty upon others, such as blocking passage on public streets and sidewalks, etc. should not be considered peaceful assemblies, but instead inciteful, and with intent to provoke some reaction leading to violence by one side or the other.

I support free speech, but the way I protest those I disagree with is to simply ignore and avoid them. This story, in my opinion, is more of an invasion or an attack on an individual, his family and personal property, which I don't support at all.

You can protest any way you like, and others might choose another method. That's fine IMO.

As to this case, as I said I don't approve...

Protests, when they impose any difficulty upon others, such as blocking passage on public streets and sidewalks, etc. should not be considered peaceful assemblies, but instead inciteful, and with intent to provoke some reaction leading to violence by one side or the other.

I fundamentally disagree if you mean "any difficulty" literally. "the right of the people peaceably to assemble" does not at all IMO mean, "the right of the people to peaceably assemble in a manner that imposes no inconvenience on anyone at all." I guess the way I'd look at is if there is no injustice or government wrongdoing for which you'd be unwilling to even block a sidewalk, or temporarily block a street, then you haven't identified any actually significant injustice or wrongdoing.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/media/tucker-carlson-protestors/index.html

(CNN)Police were called to the Washington, D.C. home of Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Wednesday night when a group of protesters showed up and shouted threats.

Smash Racism D.C., which calls itself an "anti-fascist," or Antifa, group, claimed responsibility for the protest on social media. It has previously targeted Ted Cruz, Kirstjen Nielsen, and other right-wing figures.
In videos uploaded to Twitter by the group on Wednesday, participants were heard saying "Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!" They called him a "racist scumbag" and hurled epithets.
The Twitter account also shared Carlson's address, which is a violation of Twitter's rules. By late Wednesday night, Twitter had suspended the group, which means the tweets and videos are now deleted.

In a statement on Thursday, the Metropolitan Police Department said it is conducting an investigation into the disturbance.

Just seems like a bunch of people committing crimes so no i dont support that crap at all

Protests, including nasty protests, on public streets are fine. However, from what I am given to understand, there may have been threats and an attempt to break in to Carlson's home while his wife was there alone. That goes beyond mere "protest," and I would go so far as to call that attempted Breaking and Entering or even attempted burglary. Anyone who did that should be arrested and charged for the appropriate offense.

Tucker Carlson is the enemy of the people, per trump’s own words. What was Antifa supposed to do?

They flat out said that their goal was to instill fear, there was never any doubt that this is terrorism.

And notice how silent way way way way way too many folks are.

WE USED TO BE BETTER!

Well, considering that 91% of this poll (32 people) declared that they do not support ANTIFA's protest at Carlson's home, your sly comment about how silent folks are appears politically angled and a little bit of nonsense.

The fact of the matter is that until ANTIFA members start sending bombs to Republican politicians or massacring Jews and blacks in their places of worship, most folks just aren't that concerned with ANTIFA's confrontation with the alt-Right or harassments towards right-wing pundits. This is just the nature of the beast. No doctor cares about your bruised shoulder as long as you have a gushing head wound. All ANTIFA is managing to do is offer conservatives a distraction to the extremism that displays itself quite openly at our President's rallies.

Calling this terrorism? Sure. But at least nobody mailed Carlson a bomb.

Well, considering that 91% of this poll (32 people) declared that they do not support ANTIFA's protest at Carlson's home, your sly comment about how silent folks are appears politically angled and a little bit of nonsense.

The fact of the matter is that until ANTIFA members start sending bombs to Republican politicians or massacring Jews and blacks in their places of worship, most folks just aren't that concerned with ANTIFA's confrontation with the alt-Right or harassments towards right-wing pundits. This is just the nature of the beast. No doctor cares about your bruised shoulder as long as you have a gushing head wound. All ANTIFA is managing to do is offer conservatives a distraction to the extremism that displays itself quite openly at our President's rallies.

Calling this terrorism? Sure. But at least nobody mailed Carlson a bomb.

Genuinely curious: has Antifa killed anyone yet?

Genuinely curious: has Antifa killed anyone yet?

I don't even know, which goes to my point that people don't really care to pay them attention right now. They can be summed up as just a bunch of **** heads. It seems silly:

- "Hey ANTIFA...stop being mean and leave people alone."

- "Hey alt-Right, stop murdering people and sending them explosive devices."

One of these seems to be demanding the actual attention. Still, as the poll shows, nobody is seeking to defend ANTIFA.

However, those who want only to focus on ANTIFA have made a conscience decision to avoid the alt-Right activity that found a public voice in 2016. Like I have argued before, today's ANTIFA activity is a consequence. Until the driving force behind this environment of political extremism looks in the mirror with some integrity an wakes the hell up, it will get worse. It's only a matter of time before some ANTIFA member does something grand. THEN, conservatives will pull out all stops in order to re-write the history and show where the alt-Right have always just been victims of "the left."

I don't even know, which goes to my point that people don't really care to pay them attention right now. They can be summed up as just a bunch of **** heads. It seems silly:

- "Hey ANTIFA...stop being mean and leave people alone."

- "Hey alt-Right, stop murdering people and sending them explosive devices."

One of these seems to be demanding the actual attention. Still, as the poll shows, nobody is seeking to defend ANTIFA.

However, those who want only to focus on ANTIFA have made a conscience decision to avoid the alt-Right activity that found a public voice in 2016. Like I have argued before, today's ANTIFA activity is a consequence. Until the driving force behind this environment of political extremism looks in the mirror with some integrity an wakes the hell up, it will get worse. It's only a matter of time before some ANTIFA member does something grand. THEN, conservatives will pull out all stops in order to re-write the history and show where the alt-Right have always just been victims of "the left."

Frankly, antifa is a joke that only got in the news because they were present at a Nazi gathering in which a Nazi killed a peaceful protester. And Republicans condemned...antifa. Because that makes sense.

Frankly, antifa is a joke that only got in the news because they were present at a Nazi gathering in which a Nazi killed a peaceful protester. And Republicans condemned...antifa. Because that makes sense.

The fact is that they need ANTIFA to be more than it is.

They have spent so many years learning how to develop an irrational hate for "the left" that they found themselves lost among the extremists in 2016 who were cheering for the same "birther." Instead of coming to terms, they avoided and went on to create one excuse after another for Trump. Now they find themselves attached in such a way that any criticism towards the alt-Right or Trump is a direct attack on them. Criticizing the supremacists and the Nazi-wannabes now would make them hypocrites. And so they ignore the alt-right that now very much defines conservatism and focus on exaggerating ANTIFA activity as if their liberty is at stake.

They are lost. Some of them actually join Trump to Jesus. Some of them argue for autocracy without declaring it. Some of them chastise a Republican as a "Rino" if he dares say good morning to a Democrat or not stick his tongue far enough up Trump's ass. Evangelicals embrace Trump as a member of the flock. I believe that the only fix for them is a Donald Trump loss in 2020 so that they can go ahead and re-write the past (a conservative tradition) and find a better way to define themselves. Because right now, the only good Conservative is one who absolutely hates a Democrat. Nothing else required.

The fact is that they need ANTIFA to be more than it is.

They have spent so many years learning how to develop an irrational hate for "the left" that they found themselves lost among the extremists in 2016 who were cheering for the same "birther." Instead of coming to terms, they avoided and went on to create one excuse after another for Trump. Now they find themselves attached in such a way that any criticism towards the alt-Right or Trump is a direct attack on them. Criticizing the supremacists and the Nazi-wannabes now would make them hypocrites. And so they ignore the alt-right that now very much defines conservatism and focus on exaggerating ANTIFA activity as if their liberty is at stake.

They are lost. Some of them actually join Trump to Jesus. Some of them argue for autocracy without declaring it. Some of them chastise a Republican as a "Rino" if he dares say good morning to a Democrat or not stick his tongue far enough up Trump's ass. Evangelicals embrace Trump as a member of the flock. I believe that the only fix for them is a Donald Trump loss in 2020 so that they can go ahead and re-write the past (a conservative tradition) and find a better way to define themselves. Because right now, the only good Conservative is one who absolutely hates a Democrat. Nothing else required.

Twelve people were just killed in yet another mass shooting yesterday (or maybe it was two days ago...to be honest all the mass shootings are blurring together at this point), and Republicans want everybody to be outraged about immigrants hundred of miles away and antifa being assholes outside somebody's house.

Republicans are morally bankrupt.

Twelve people were just killed in yet another mass shooting yesterday (or maybe it was two days ago...to be honest all the mass shootings are blurring together at this point), and Republicans want everybody to be outraged about immigrants hundred of miles away and antifa being assholes outside somebody's house.

Republicans are morally bankrupt.

Oh, you are talking about the former Marine in which people want to use "PTSD" as the reason, despite the facts and despite the conventional understanding of PTSD. That's a whole 'nother mess that pisses me off.

Oh, you are talking about the former Marine in which people want to use "PTSD" as the reason, despite the facts and despite the conventional understanding of PTSD. That's a whole 'nother mess that pisses me off.

I haven't been in the military nor do I come from a military family so obviously I can't speak from a position of expertise or experience, but ptsd causing someone to walk into a bar and shoot everybody is a new one on me.

Back
Top Bottom