• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you suffer from anxiety disorders ?

Do you suffer from anxiety disorders ?

• Total voters

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Thanks for voting

No - but being married to someone who does is enough to make me want to put my fist through the wall. Seriously.

I don't think I do, but I can have acute cases of situational anxiety. There are just certain topics in life I don't do well with and I am still working on. Money is a huge one for me. If I start running low on money, I worry myself to death.

Over time I see to be anxious about fewer and fewer thing and gain more mastery over myself, my skillset, and my surroundings.

No. It's everyone else who suffers from my anxiety disorders. :D

I don't think so, but a couple of months ago I got blindsided by an entire group of people pissed off about an aspect that they apparently were already fully aware of, it was very overwhelming, I ended up with chest pains and went to hospital, doctors say it was some kind of muscle issue (I forgot now) but the stress caused me to put my chest in a way it caught a muscle in my chest on my rib and every time I took a breath it hurt pretty bad.

Do I have an anxiety disorder... Not sure.

Does anxiety appear to cause malfunctions... It would appear so.

No...why...did someone say I do...their lying...I have no disorders...well, when I say 'no' I mean none other then what everyone has...you know like fear of the dark, fear of intimacy, fear of not being intimate enough, fear of being afraid, fear of being asked if I have anxiety disorders...normal things.

Ummmm...I gotta go...

I don't think so, but a couple of months ago I got blindsided by an entire group of people pissed off about an aspect that they apparently were already fully aware of, it was very overwhelming, I ended up with chest pains and went to hospital, doctors say it was some kind of muscle issue (I forgot now) but the stress caused me to put my chest in a way it caught a muscle in my chest on my rib and every time I took a breath it hurt pretty bad.

Do I have an anxiety disorder... Not sure.

Does anxiety appear to cause malfunctions... It would appear so.
During an anxiety attack it may seem to you that you hardly breathe or will die if you can not breathe .you may not have a physical problem ,you just feel as if you will die . a remarkable Increase in palpilations ,a feel of getting drowned are symptoms .if it were a heart attack I would die more than once in every attack

Last edited:
I had PTSD for a couple years after my Libya tour but it didn't manifest as anxiety attacks like it does some people. I would just get stuck in my head, depressed, and lose big patches of time.

The closest I have come to what sounds like an anxiety attack have been a couple rough moments during a bad part of a mushroom trip.

Thanks for voting

Yes. I have mild PTSD as a result of incidents near the end of my working career that threatened my life and my livelihood. As with most men, I ignored it too long until one day some people said it looked like I was having a heart attack. An ambulance was called. I spent 9 hours in hospital while they ran a test to see if there had been a heart attack. It was not, it was a breakdown. The brain simply wasn't working properly.

A severe panic attack can look like heart disease, a stroke and a whole lot of things. Further, untreated your physical body pays a price. As it was explained to me, the body is being bathed in fear hormones tapping that ancient part of that had to be constantly afraid of being eaten by a bigger creature.

For men, it is almost impossible. We have been taught all our lives to be "brave men" and protect those who were weaker. It takes an enormous amount of courage to admit to yourself you are afraid of something as simple as going to the bank.

I am told we should all expect it. There has been more technological change in the last two decades than all other human creation, the world is getting faster, faster and faster; we are a society of 'beeps', phones beep, trucks beep, bank machines beep" all of it hitting our subsconcious mind over and over and over with a sense of urgency Commercials and videos come at us at high speed, and there is little in the urban landscape that isn't demanding you buy this, or take that, or use this and have beautiful women following you everywhere.

A while ago I had an "aha" moment. My grandfather used to sit on his front veranda and talk to people going by. He would often sit with them. Or we go for walks where other people were sitting out and join them. That's not even possible today.

If we are together in one place, everyone is either texting, listening to music or talking on a cell phone. No one rests anymore. We seldom interface .

So as the speed of society increases, more and more of us will be overcome with it.

During an anxiety attack it may seem to you that you hardly breathe or will die if you can not breathe .you may not have a physical problem ,you just feel as if you will die . a remarkable Increase in palpilations ,a feel of getting drowned are symptoms .if it were a heart attack I would die more than once in every attack

And there will likely be massive confusion. Things just don't fall into their slots. everything is "weird".

Next topic...rage.

Lol, that's my GF, she's more likely to feel anger than depression when things get rough. She gets pissed and then storms the gate of whatever problem and kills it dead.

Anxiety, depression and ADHD. On top of PDD-NOS.

0hGiDHb.jpg

No. But my ex-wife has BPD and that is so difficult to deal with it is amazing.

Having a strong 'fight or flight' reaction, chemically, is often the cause of many panic disorders. My father was terrified of high bridges to the point, where I started to have nightmares about them. I get anxiety attacks now from many common small fears but can actually handle bigger ones easily, it's a paradox.

Yes. I have mild PTSD as a result of incidents near the end of my working career that threatened my life and my livelihood. As with most men, I ignored it too long until one day some people said it looked like I was having a heart attack. An ambulance was called. I spent 9 hours in hospital while they ran a test to see if there had been a heart attack. It was not, it was a breakdown. The brain simply wasn't working properly.

A severe panic attack can look like heart disease, a stroke and a whole lot of things. Further, untreated your physical body pays a price. As it was explained to me, the body is being bathed in fear hormones tapping that ancient part of that had to be constantly afraid of being eaten by a bigger creature.

For men, it is almost impossible. We have been taught all our lives to be "brave men" and protect those who were weaker. It takes an enormous amount of courage to admit to yourself you are afraid of something as simple as going to the bank.

I am told we should all expect it. There has been more technological change in the last two decades than all other human creation, the world is getting faster, faster and faster; we are a society of 'beeps', phones beep, trucks beep, bank machines beep" all of it hitting our subsconcious mind over and over and over with a sense of urgency Commercials and videos come at us at high speed, and there is little in the urban landscape that isn't demanding you buy this, or take that, or use this and have beautiful women following you everywhere.

A while ago I had an "aha" moment. My grandfather used to sit on his front veranda and talk to people going by. He would often sit with them. Or we go for walks where other people were sitting out and join them. That's not even possible today.

If we are together in one place, everyone is either texting, listening to music or talking on a cell phone. No one rests anymore. We seldom interface .

So as the speed of society increases, more and more of us will be overcome with it.

I have a rare form of epilepsy. I have nocturnal seizures. They are light bouts of rapid firing seizures, which interrupts my REM sleep. So for a long time I wasn't getting sound sleep. One can't unless they go into REM sleep.

For a lot of my life I would wake up in the middle of the night having panic attacks. Then I'd be afraid to go back to sleep for several days. That brought on bouts of anxiety...you know where you can't really define what the hell is causing it - or - some sense of impending doom and you don't know how to defend yourself against something like that if you don't know what you fear is about to crush you.

It took having a stroke to find out what the hell was wrong. Now, I know I've been accused of being crazy (especially in DP), but I really felt crazy for much of life.

So I dig what you're saying.

I have a rare form of epilepsy. I have nocturnal seizures. They are light bouts of rapid firing seizures, which interrupts my REM sleep. So for a long time I wasn't getting sound sleep. One can't unless they go into REM sleep.

For a lot of my life I would wake up in the middle of the night having panic attacks. Then I'd be afraid to go back to sleep for several days. That brought on bouts of anxiety...you know where you can't really define what the hell is causing it - or - some sense of impending doom and you don't know how to defend yourself against something like that if you don't know what you fear is about to crush you.

It took having a stroke to find out what the hell was wrong. Now, I know I've been accused of being crazy (especially in DP), but I really felt crazy for much of life.

So I dig what you're saying.

Wow, you carry some weight there. That is classic severe generalized anxiety disorder. More and more the shrinks are attributing it to new and varying degrees of PTSD. I am familiar, somewhat, as a friend in long ago days had epilepsy. He was my scuba diving buddy and the first person I ever met had authorization to carry and use pot. If I recall he also had some kind of night problem.

SGAD in some cases can lead to people finding themselves some place and not know the reason they were there or the exact details of how they got there. It appears to erupt due to a high stressor trigger in the home, and the patient feels the need to flee, then as the "emergency" wanes can't figure out how they got there. There are also auditory halucinations in some cases.

We no longer use the term 'crazy' and not out of political correctness, it is because getting adequate treatment fast enough is a nightmare, so who is crazy, us who know we need it, or the system that won't deliver? since my diagnosis I have seen how bad things can get, I have been there myself. Because you see, our first line of defense, the first responders are the police. So now you have people with guns in your home.

Thank God that the former police chief saw that we do not have a crime problem, we have a disorder problem. The worst statistic, he pointed out, was mental health cases who were either shot to death by police or ended up in some physical injury, serious charges etc. Jimmy Chou stood up and said "we are not in the business of harming people, we need to change." He made training of mental health or medication cases a priority. Now, when they come, they come in nice and easy, friendly and assuring the "patient' that they are there for his safety. It was an awesome leap forward in policing and he put his career on the line with it.

recently, there was a forum about what to do with the "growing problem". When I spoke, I casually mentioned that there is something wrong with a care system where the police are the main line of support, and went on a rant a bit of a rant which concluded with me noting that things were so sloppy that the only thing they had to read in the waiting room staging area was a variety of pamphlets about horrible and deadly diseases...."just what a depressant, potential suicide needs to see. Can't you at least steal someone's old copies of National Geographic."

Back
Top Bottom