• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you remember the last time they rushed a vaccine out for political reasons?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Long Shadow of the 1976 Swine Flu Vaccine 'Fiasco'
|
Smart News

| Smithsonian Magazine

This links gives you a real good idea why rushing a vaccine out for political reasons is not a good idea. Of the 45,000 people who took the vaccine 450 got sick with Guillian-Barre syndrome and 45 people died. Many of the others suffered the rest of their lives with the results of the syndrome. The vaccine was of course pulled. Do we really want to go through this again with more people dying for strictly political reasons. Every scientist I have read says to never try out an unproven vaccine on the general public until it is determine SAFE and effective. You might notice that everytime they talk about what a good vaccine needs to be it starts with SAFE. I was one of the first of the public to get the polio vaccine. We were called polio pioneers, but the vaccine had gone through over 6 years of testing before we were given the shots. We need to make sure whatever vaccine we are given is both safe and effective and that is not going to be as soon as November 3rd. I know one thing for sure, if they start giving people the vaccine by then, I will not be taking the shots.

I was just watching Gupta and Sebelius on CNN. As best I can tell Donald Trump killed 185,000 people because he didn't do anything about the virus and now he's going to kill the remaining people by forcing a vaccine on them. Basically, whatever he does is wrong and we're all gonna die.

I was just watching Gupta and Sebelius on CNN. As best I can tell Donald Trump killed 185,000 people because he didn't do anything about the virus and now he's going to kill the remaining people by forcing a vaccine on them. Basically, whatever he does is wrong and we're all gonna die.

It doesn’t inspire confidence that his biotech company of choice to fast track is a nearly defunct house of incompetents who have never done anything but take peoples money and kill animals in their trials. If you’re going to cut corners in clinical trials and foist a vaccine on the populace then it better be developed by a reputable company with a record of putting safe and effective drugs on the market. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

It doesn’t inspire confidence that his biotech company of choice to fast track is a nearly defunct house of incompetents who have never done anything but take peoples money and kill animals in their trials. If you’re going to cut corners in clinical trials and foist a vaccine on the populace then it better be developed by a reputable company with a record of putting safe and effective drugs on the market. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

And stuff like this is why even if Trump did everything the left is suggesting he could have or should have done back in January or November or March of 2018, whenever they figure this thing started, they would have opposed that too.

The Long Shadow of the 1976 Swine Flu Vaccine 'Fiasco'
|
Smart News

| Smithsonian Magazine

This links gives you a real good idea why rushing a vaccine out for political reasons is not a good idea. Of the 45,000 people who took the vaccine 450 got sick with Guillian-Barre syndrome and 45 people died. Many of the others suffered the rest of their lives with the results of the syndrome. The vaccine was of course pulled. Do we really want to go through this again with more people dying for strictly political reasons. Every scientist I have read says to never try out an unproven vaccine on the general public until it is determine SAFE and effective. You might notice that everytime they talk about what a good vaccine needs to be it starts with SAFE. I was one of the first of the public to get the polio vaccine. We were called polio pioneers, but the vaccine had gone through over 6 years of testing before we were given the shots. We need to make sure whatever vaccine we are given is both safe and effective and that is not going to be as soon as November 3rd. I know one thing for sure, if they start giving people the vaccine by then, I will not be taking the shots.

Thread title: Do you remember the last time they rushed a vaccine out for political reasons?

My answer: They have never rushed a vaccine out for any reason prior to COVID-19, including for political reasons.

It is not being done for political reasons as we've already been told that it will not be ready in time for the election.

The US has not seen a disease like this that infects so rapidly and kills so fast since 1918, so it makes sense to obtain a vaccine for it ASAP to hopefully stop the spread.

Also - what ever happened to the "Spanish Flu" of 1918? Where did it go? We never developed a vaccine for it that I know of. 60 million dead world-wide; 675,000 dead in the US alone before it ended.

Just like the Spanish Flu and what Trump reiterates on occasion now, COVID-19 will someday "just go away".

Thread title: Do you remember the last time they rushed a vaccine out for political reasons?

Yup...another Republican in office at the time. A real shocker that.

Back
Top Bottom