• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you remember the fire in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris - and your feelings then?

If the situation allows it again:
I might travel again by train (TGV) to Paris and walk from the train station across the city to Notre Dame.
Right into the town centre.
As I did in March 2020, just before the lockdown.
I enjoyed that trip very much.
And it is a good thing that I can travel from my place to Paris, have a fine day there, and be back on the same day.

Notre Dame was nice but very touristy. A better experience is Saint Denis which is considered the first truly gothic church. Its claim to fame is as the place of internment for almost all French Kings (or pieces of them, depending on how violently they died) back to Clovis I in 511.

This church is spectacular and in my opinion nicer than Notre Dame. When I visited it was much cleaner and less crowded than Notre Dame and there were no lineups.

Some background:

Extensive attention had been given to the risk of fire at the cathedral. The Paris Fire Brigade drilled regularly to prepare for emergencies there, including on-site exercises in 2018; a firefighter was posted to the cathedral each day; and fire wardens checked conditions beneath the roof three times daily.[

And:

Fire broke out in the attic beneath the cathedral's roof at 18:18.[22] At 18:20 the fire alarm sounded and guards evacuated the cathedral;[23] a guard was sent to investigate, but to the wrong location – the attic of the adjoining sacristy – where he found no fire. About fifteen minutes later the error was discovered, but by the time guards had climbed the three hundred steps to the cathedral attic the fire was well advanced.[22] The alarm system was not designed to automatically notify the fire brigade, which was summoned at 18:51 after the guards had returned.[24] Firefighters arrived within ten minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris_fire

As I remember, on 15 April 2019 even atheists were in tears because ....

- a symbol of Paris was burning
- a symbol of France was burning
- a symbol of the old Europa was burning

--------------

On the other hand, extremely pious Bible "Christians" were over-joyed that a pagan Catholic abomination was on fire.

So it was.

What is there to talk about...it burned...life goes on...

A landmark building burned. I thought it was too bad. But ancient wooden buildings are vulnerable to such things. Ironically, it was the attempt to restore it that almost destroyed it. But I had no strong emotional reaction to it except a bit of shock. I had more emotions attached to the school that I went to being turned into elderly housing and the church I went to being closed and subsequently torn down for safety reasons.

Is there any empathy and feeling for this symbolic building?

In 2019 there were those who said: "It's just a building."

And I said and still say: "No, this symbol for Europe is more than just a building!"

Maybe one has to be a European to really have feelings in this case? :(

As I remember, on 15 April 2019 even atheists were in tears because ....

- a symbol of Paris was burning
- a symbol of France was burning
- a symbol of the old Europa was burning

--------------

On the other hand, extremely pious Bible "Christians" were over-joyed that a pagan Catholic abomination was on fire.

So it was.

Ah, so this was your thread's point--yet another cheap shot.

Is there any empathy and feeling for this symbolic building?

In 2019 there were those who said: "It's just a building."

And I said and still say: "No, this symbol for Europe is more than just a building!"
For people, yes, for inanimate objects, no...

About the restauration

What caused the fire?

How Notre Dame was built

yet another cheap shot.

There is nothing "cheap" about my feelings here in this topic.
What is very cheap here is your complete lack of feeling.
And your trying to insult me because of my heart-felt feelings.
I am surprised how you can be so proud of your indifference and your lack of feeling.
You need not answer to that - I will take no notice of further insults from you.

I am surprised how you can be so proud of your indifference and your lack of feeling.
You need not answer to that - I will take no notice of further insults from you.
Your lack of feelings for fellow humans is duly noted...

You're being dishonest here. I did not say that your feelings were cheap; I referred to your cheap shot at "'extremely pious Bible "Christians' [who] were over-joyed that a pagan Catholic abomination was on fire."

You make cheap shots all the time at "extremely pious Bible Christians." All the time. So don't be surprised if someone suspects that you have no real interest in Notre Dame and just saw yet another opportunity to take another jab.

(1) Virgin birth of Jesus | Debate Politics
(1) About Guardian Angels | Debate Politics
(1) King James Only movement | Page 7 | Debate Politics
(1) [W:380] Joe Biden is the second Catholic President of the United States - after John F. Kennedy. | Page 9 | Debate Politics
(1) How Jerry Falwell Jr. Lost His Flock | Page 2 | Debate Politics

I could go on, but instead, I'll cite myself: " You might want to think about what mocking "pious Bible Christians," as you so frequently do, accomplishes." (2) How Jerry Falwell Jr. Lost His Flock | Page 2 | Debate Politics

You're being dishonest here. I did not say that your feelings were cheap; I referred to your cheap shot at "'extremely pious Bible "Christians' [who] were over-joyed that a pagan Catholic abomination was on fire."

You make cheap shots all the time at "extremely pious Bible Christians." All the time. So don't be surprised if someone suspects that you have no real interest in Notre Dame and just saw yet another opportunity to take another jab.

(1) Virgin birth of Jesus | Debate Politics
(1) About Guardian Angels | Debate Politics
(1) King James Only movement | Page 7 | Debate Politics
(1) [W:380] Joe Biden is the second Catholic President of the United States - after John F. Kennedy. | Page 9 | Debate Politics
(1) How Jerry Falwell Jr. Lost His Flock | Page 2 | Debate Politics

I could go on, but instead, I'll cite myself: " You might want to think about what mocking "pious Bible Christians," as you so frequently do, accomplishes." (2) How Jerry Falwell Jr. Lost His Flock | Page 2 | Debate Politics
Oh my jerry falwell jr lost his flock? Ill have to get a tissue.

Today now is the 15th of April again. :(
Two years exactly since that terrible fire. :(

On the way to Notre Dame - in 2017 :)

Back
Top Bottom