• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you really need that? [W:99]

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I just want to say I hate this question. Here is the context I most recently heard it.

"You are just going to the movies. Do you really need a gun?"

My mother addressing me when she saw me strapping on my 9mm to go to a late night flick. Now my normal response is:

"I hope not."

That is a great defusal answer to that stupid question. I understand my mother though. She is my mother. She only thinks of me as her child. Doesn't matter that I have a license and several thousand round of practice and the best safety instruction a father can provide.

But it got me thinking. Why do people ask about need? Whose business is it to ask if I need it? Who can tell me what I need? Why do people seek to regulate on need? Where is the word "need" in the 2nd?

I just want to say I hate this question. Here is the context I most recently heard it.

My mother addressing me when she saw me strapping on my 9mm to go to a late night flick. Now my normal response is:

"I hope not."

That is a great defusal answer to that stupid question. I understand my mother though. She is my mother. She only thinks of me as her child. Doesn't matter that I have a license and several thousand round of practice and the best safety instruction a father can provide.

But it got me thinking. Why do people ask about need? Whose business is it to ask if I need it? Who can tell me what I need? Why do people seek to regulate on need? Where is the word "need" in the 2nd?

Just too bad you were not at that movie where the guy came in and opened fire.

"I hope not."

"Yeah, you may be right, mom. I usually only take it with me when I'm going to rob a bank." ;)

I hate that, "Do you really need that?" question. It's actually implied criticism which is why you bristle a bit when she says that. Moms are good for those left-handed kinds of things, though. Gotta' love 'em.

When I go to someone's house for dinner, I always bring a gift. Usually a bottle of wine . . . maybe flowers. When I'd ask my late husband to stop along the way to pick something up, his favorite line was, "You don't need to do that...."

What I thought was, "Yeah, you cheapskate, I guess you wouldn't do it. Jerk."

What I said was, "Oh, yes I do."

"I hope not."

:applaud:applaud:agree

I can see the question coming from someone that doesn't know how to use a firearm and is uncomfortable around them. Your response to mom is valid, but shouldn't you move out of moms basement? People are going to talk (jk). I have reduced the number of places I carry - guess I'm just getting old and not caring as much as I use too.

"I hope not."

i dont look at it in the sames terms you do.

i look at it as control, people want to control what other people do.

thought out history, one person sees another going something, even though it is not unlawful, they try to control the situation, thru the power of force.

and they rationalize that force, by using many expressions, [why do you need that].....[ i dont think you should allowed to do that]......[who's to say you should have that]

if people would stop trying to force their will over others who have not broken any law.....the world would be much more filled with liberty.

:doh
"Yeah, you may be right, mom. I usually only take it with me when I'm going to rob a bank." ;)

I hate that, "Do you really need that?" question. It's actually implied criticism which is why you bristle a bit when she says that. Moms are good for those left-handed kinds of things, though. Gotta' love 'em.

When I go to someone's house for dinner, I always bring a gift. Usually a bottle of wine . . . maybe flowers. When I'd ask my late husband to stop along the way to pick something up, his favorite line was, "You don't need to do that...."

What I thought was, "Yeah, you cheapskate, I guess you wouldn't do it. Jerk."

What I said was, "Oh, yes I do."

I will admit I am a busybody advice giver. I have added to my hostess give list flower shaped decorative hand soaps for a powder room and, as people are moving away from regular fingertip towels ::thumbdown, and going to individual paper hand towels, a package of pretty decorative paper hand towels.

Obviously none of my business, but I did warn you I was a busybody advice giver. :)

Do you really need that?

I can see the question coming from someone that doesn't know how to use a firearm and is uncomfortable around them. Your response to mom is valid, but shouldn't you move out of moms basement? People are going to talk (jk). I have reduced the number of places I carry - guess I'm just getting old and not caring as much as I use too.

Lol. I wish. Gotta love the economy. I'm in the process of moving out actually. I have to get into law school first (in the application process)...and I can't afford a place of my own.

I carry more now than I did when I first got my license. I have 3 guns I carry (not at once). A 9, .380, and a .22wmr. I didn't carry as much before because I was in college and spent time on campus. Now I carry nearly 100% of the time I leave the house because I can. I just made it a routine like grabbing my sun glasses (I always wear sunglasses. I get a headache if I don't...sunshine state ya know?).

Good Luck with Law School. It took me 21 years to finish :). A year here, quarter there, another year here and finally I had enough units and residency at a single school for them to issue me a JD. CA Bar was easier though with life's experiences, LE, and plenty of time working for lawyers.

Lol. I wish. Gotta love the economy. I'm in the process of moving out actually. I have to get into law school first (in the application process)...and I can't afford a place of my own.

I carry more now than I did when I first got my license. I have 3 guns I carry (not at once). A 9, .380, and a .22wmr. I didn't carry as much before because I was in college and spent time on campus. Now I carry nearly 100% of the time I leave the house because I can. I just made it a routine like grabbing my sun glasses (I always wear sunglasses. I get a headache if I don't...sunshine state ya know?).

"I hope not."

What if your Mom said she didn't want any guns in the house?

The cost of housing is insane these days. A LOT of people are living with either parents or roommates into their later 20s and even 30s these days because of it.

Some think this is terrible thing, but a lot of people don't realize that until the later 20th century it was commonplace for multiple generations to live under one roof on the family farm. Usually the oldest son (heir to the farm) and his bride and children would live there... because when the old man got too old to run the place, he'd be taking over. Daughters and younger sons would typically move out when they could afford to, but it wasn't that uncommon for them to continue living there for a while after getting married, before they could afford their own house.

You'll see more of this in poverty-stricken areas as well, and among immigrant families. An extended family can live cheaper under one roof than as isolated "nuclear families" in separate houses.

OOPs didn't mean to hijack the thread... :)

I've had people ask me things like that.... one of my sisters (former hippie now yuppie), and certain former GFs... (note "former"). Yes it is typically a subtle means of expressing disapproval. You have a good answer... if you're interesting in spurring more conversation, you can add on to it... "I HOPE I don't need it... but you can never tell when or where something may happen, so it is better to have and not need it than need it and not have it."

"I hope not."

"I hope not. If I knew i needed to take a gun, I would take my rifle..."

"I hope not. If I knew i needed to take a gun, I would take my rifle..."

true, you never go to a gun fight only with a pistol unless that is your only choice.

true, you never go to a gun fight only with a pistol unless that is your only choice.

"If you KNOW you're going to be in a gunfight, bring a long gun... and a friend with a long gun." -- widely attributed to Col. Cooper... :mrgreen:

Bottom line is you never know when you go somewhere you will need to protect your or someone else's life. Hopefully you never will.

But if you do, good luck to those of you who go unprepared.

"I hope not."

Because if anti-2nd amendment trash can make it about need then it will make it easier for them to restrict our right to keep and bear arms.This is why anti-2nd amendment trash keep insisting that we do not need AR-15s or any other civilian firearm deemed to be an assault weapon.

Do you really need that?

What if your Mom said she didn't want any guns in the house?

Considering that her husband owns over 20 and she hasn't said it in the 24 years I've been alive...I don't think she would say that.

Do you really need that?

The cost of housing is insane these days. A LOT of people are living with either parents or roommates into their later 20s and even 30s these days because of it.

Some think this is terrible thing, but a lot of people don't realize that until the later 20th century it was commonplace for multiple generations to live under one roof on the family farm. Usually the oldest son (heir to the farm) and his bride and children would live there... because when the old man got too old to run the place, he'd be taking over. Daughters and younger sons would typically move out when they could afford to, but it wasn't that uncommon for them to continue living there for a while after getting married, before they could afford their own house.

You'll see more of this in poverty-stricken areas as well, and among immigrant families. An extended family can live cheaper under one roof than as isolated "nuclear families" in separate houses.

OOPs didn't mean to hijack the thread... :)

I've had people ask me things like that.... one of my sisters (former hippie now yuppie), and certain former GFs... (note "former"). Yes it is typically a subtle means of expressing disapproval. You have a good answer... if you're interesting in spurring more conversation, you can add on to it... "I HOPE I don't need it... but you can never tell when or where something may happen, so it is better to have and not need it than need it and not have it."

Yea my girlfriend actually approves of my carry. She says it makes her feel safer knowing that I have it. She knows I'm safe and responsible. She also knows I'm not looking to be a cowboy either. I only care about protecting myself and others. She is a democrat too. But she grew up in a house of guns just like I did.

1358687427-up-4udtjvi016iejdg6.jpg

Apparently Clinton a ****en liar who knows nothing about firearms or the brady assault weapons ban he signed into law.Just in case none of the other people on the forum who actually do know something about firearms and the brady assault weapons ban did not educate you about firearms and the Brady Assault weapons ban, I will take my time to educate you on these two subjects you apparently know absolutely nothing about.

1. Assault weapon is nothing more than a term for a semi-automatic firearm with certain cosmetic features that scare the **** out of anti-2nd amendment trash and in some cases semi-automatic firearms in name only. The civilian AK-47 became the MAK-90,the only difference is no bayonet mount and the pistol grip was replaced with a thumbhole stock. The tech-22 pistol became the sport-22 pistol, the only difference is no threaded barrel. The colt AR-15 sporter rifle became the Colt Match Target,the only difference is no flash suppressor. So the Brady Assault weapons ban had nothing to do with the alleged reduction of mass shootings. If Clinton actually read the Brady Assault weapons ban he would know this.

2.Functionality wise there is no difference between a semi-automatic firearm deemed to be an assault weapon and one not deemed to be an assault weapon. for example a Ruger Mini-14 fires the same round as the AR-15,it fires one round per trigger squeeze just like the AR-15, and it uses a magazine just like the AR-15 does. A Ruger mini-thirty and the MAK-90 fire the same round as a civilian AK-47, it fires one bullet per trigger squeeze and they use magazines just like the AK-47 do. If Clinton knew anything about firearms he would know this to be true.

3.The brady assault weapons ban id not cover so called assault weapons and standard capacity magazines of 20 rounds or more made before the Brady assault weapons ban.So you could have still bought 20-30 round standard capacity magazines for the AR-15 and any other standard capacity magazine deemed to be high capacity. And you could have still bought a AR-15,AK-47 and other so called assault weapon banned by name. If Clinton actually bothered reading the Brady Assault weapons ban he would know this.

4.Magazines only take a second or two to change.If Clinton actually knew anything about firearms he would know this.

If you don't ****en believe me just because I am a 2nd amendment advocate then you can watch this liberal news link.
What Assault Weapons Ban? - 60 Minutes - CBS News

And in how many of them, was there someone other than the shooter who was armed? Oh, thats right, they didn't need it, until of course they did. You can never truly know what is needed until it is needed.

Also, what does need have to do with it? Are we to apply that thinking to everything in our society? Are we going to punish the many for the actions of a few in all cases?

I moved out in 1981. You remember what the economy was in 1981? It was crap.
I was 18 and an adult.

Where is the word "need" in the 2nd?

The closest it gets is stating that a well organized militia is a necessity to the security of a free State.

Back
Top Bottom