• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you read the newspaper?

Do you read the local daily newspaper?

• Yes, I look forward to a daily dose

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No, I only read online news.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Only on Sundays

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I only read national newspapers... ie. USA Today, Wall Street

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Do you read the newspaper or only online?

I have lost all confidence in the unbiased news reporting claimed by major newspapers. Every story slants to the left. Their editorial commentary is, of course, blatantly left wing. When they deem it opportune, they give right wing columnists a little ink on the Op-Ed page so that they can say that all sides are presented.

After an unsuccessful four year all-out struggle to unseat the President, they are worse now than ever.

I would not spend one thin dime to read The New York Slimes, The Los Angeles Crimes, The Atlanta Urinal & Constipation, The Chicago Spittoon or The Washington Compost.

There is no liberal news media, at least not to the extent that the right wing would have us believe.

In case anyone's forgotten, even the dreaded NY Times called for Clinton's impeachment.

Was this the act of a liberal newspaper?

I believe both the left and right pick out stories that they disagree with, and start throwing labels and tales of bias around to hide the truth.

Hoot

I don't read newspapers much anymore. Occasionally I'll pick up a USA Today or maybe the Detroit News. Our local paper is horrible and far too expensive, so now I get most of my news from sources online.

Why would I read the local newspaper if all they ever talk about is high school football and how the price of milk has gone up two cents? Besides, national newspapers are more reliable.

Our newspapers here are piss-poor when it comes to national news. But if all I want to know is who won the Miss Crawfish or Miss Gator Tail crown at the lastest food-related festival, I am all set.
Note: this is not an indictment of the food-related festivals. In fact, my family & I enjoy the food-related festivals very much. Only there ain't a lot of hard-hitting news to be had at them.
I get an email from the New York Slimes, uh, Times daily w/ a selection of headlines and I read them. If I could afford the delivery to my home, even of just the Sunday edition, I would. I am attuned to their left slant but, hey, I am left after all. If the other guys can enjoy their FOX news then leave me the hell alone. The NY Times still gives more reliable and substantial news than POX.

mixedmedia said:
Our newspapers here are piss-poor when it comes to national news. But if all I want to know is who won the Miss Crawfish or Miss Gator Tail crown at the lastest food-related festival, I am all set.
Note: this is not an indictment of the food-related festivals. In fact, my family & I enjoy the food-related festivals very much. Only there ain't a lot of hard-hitting news to be had at them.
I get an email from the New York Slimes, uh, Times daily w/ a selection of headlines and I read them. If I could afford the delivery to my home, even of just the Sunday edition, I would. I am attuned to their left slant but, hey, I am left after all. If the other guys can enjoy their FOX news then leave me the hell alone. The NY Times still gives more reliable and substantial news than POX.
Perhaps it's a gravitational thing. Everyone has a comfort zone with respect to things which are of interest. One tends to gravitate toward persons, places, or things which enhance one's level of comfort. Regardless of one's political leanings, there are media sources which will, because they are in synch with those leanings, elevate one's sense of political support and validation of one's position. When one finds such support, it is natural to believe that the source epitomizes truth, Mom, baseball, and apple pie. One is then obliged to defend that source against all detractors.

With respect to the NY Times, Slimes, Crimes, Chimes, Dimes, Limes, or whatever, one would do well to look between the pages, as it were.

The folks who have put together the following websites have done that for us. All we have to do is to visit them and decide for ourselves.

http://www.velocityassociates.net/pages/Bushkerry.php

http://www.timeswatch.org/

http://www.ctdata.com/politics/2002/12/07/0532243.shtml

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/09/26/INGAG8T2FR1.DTL

http://commonsensewonder.com/mtarchives/005347.shtml

Well, I checked out the links and all but one of them seemed to have their own right-leaning bias.

http://www.fair.org/

I suggest these people. They take everyone to task, including the New York Times.

I feel fairly confident of my ability to take the Times with a grain of salt as it were. I still think they have the most comprehensive coverage, plus there's the great magazine and no one can top their crosswords.

mixedmedia said:
Well, I checked out the links and all but one of them seemed to have their own right-leaning bias.

http://www.fair.org/

I suggest these people. They take everyone to task, including the New York Times.

I feel fairly confident of my ability to take the Times with a grain of salt as it were. I still think they have the most comprehensive coverage, plus there's the great magazine and no one can top their crosswords.
If you read the quotes from the Times, you could have formed your own opinion as to the degree of bias contained therein. One would not expect a 'liberal' source to comment adversely on the Times, would one?

I agree with you that all the Times is good for are the magazine and the good old crossword puzzles edited by Will Shortz. Although, some mongers find its full size better than the smaller tabloids when it comes to wrapping fish.

Fantasea said:
If you read the quotes from the Times, you could have formed your own opinion as to the degree of bias contained therein. One would not expect a 'liberal' source to comment adversely on the Times, would one?

I agree with you that all the Times is good for are the magazine and the good old crossword puzzles edited by Will Shortz. Although, some mongers find its full size better than the smaller tabloids when it comes to wrapping fish.

FAIR is a fairly liberal organization yet they do not reserve their criticism for FOX news. Their overriding bias is for the truth. I would rather look for truth from an organization that is checking up on all media outlets rather than one singling out the Times. You can't count on truth about bias from a source that is only out to expose only one paper's bias for biased reasons of their own. And let us not confuse the word 'bias' with 'fabrication.'

I suppose by now you've heard about the USA Today reporter allegedly paid $240,000 by the Bush Administration to support No Child Left Behind in his reportage. Hmmm....and I'm sure that is solely an isolated incident, right? Oh, I love it when the teflon-coated smarmy ones get the 'ole public depants-ings.

I didn't say that ALL the Times was good for was the magazine & the crosswords, but I'm glad you're able to appreciate the obvious high standards of those two Times features. And I think Will Shortz has passed on.....sadly.

As far as fish-wrapping goes, I fully support the recycling of newspaper by our multitudinous and environmentally conscious fishmonger population.

Holy smokes, how could I forget? Tom Friedman is at the Times & I would even read the Washington Times to enjoy his columns. He is pragmatic and moderate. Unlike myself, he supported the war in Iraq, but is very disenchanted with the way it has been carried out. He's also a man who has spent a lot of time in the Middle East and understands the people and culture. Wow, we could use a guy like that in the White House...at least one would be nice anyway. I highly recommend his books.
He wrote in one of his columns that we should have shut down Abu Ghraib and turned it into a school to teach Iraqis information technology w/ equipment donated by Microsoft. To show the Iraqis that we have vision and understand humility. I thought it was a brilliant idea.

mixedmedia said:
FAIR is a fairly liberal organization yet they do not reserve their criticism for FOX news. Their overriding bias is for the truth. I would rather look for truth from an organization that is checking up on all media outlets rather than one singling out the Times. You can't count on truth about bias from a source that is only out to expose only one paper's bias for biased reasons of their own. And let us not confuse the word 'bias' with 'fabrication.'
My suggested references were not for my own benefit, but simply to point out to you some of the quotes from the Times upon which you could, if you wished, opine. I soak up as much news as I can from as many sources as I can. My favorite source is the TV appearances and news clips of politicians making their own statements and media print sources that, in addition to their own analyses which I ignore, furnish complete transcripts of speeches made. I've been exposed to far too many instances where the analysis, or partial, or out of context quotes have made a 'yes' sound like a 'no' and vice versa.
I suppose by now you've heard about the USA Today reporter allegedly paid $240,000 by the Bush Administration to support No Child Left Behind in his reportage. Hmmm....and I'm sure that is solely an isolated incident, right? Oh, I love it when the teflon-coated smarmy ones get the 'ole public depants-ings.
Since the media does nothing but pummel the No Child Left Behind Program, Secretary of Education Rod Paige engaged political writer and TV personality Armstrong Williams to counter all of the negativity and attempt to inject some positive coverage into the mix. Would you expect him to work for nothing? When you consider all of the other public relations work and commercial advertising that is done by the federal govermnent, $240,000 is a spit in the ocean. The error, if there was one, was The failure of Secretary Paige, who was working well within his authority, to fill in the White House press secretary, who was blindsided by a reporter's question and responded off the cuff when he should have deferred an answer until he understood that the actions of Secretary Paige were correct. Instead, he inadvertantly opened the gates for a 'gotcha'.
I didn't say that ALL the Times was good for was the magazine & the crosswords, but I'm glad you're able to appreciate the obvious high standards of those two Times features. And I think Will Shortz has passed on.....sadly.
Why the 'passed on' euphemism? If Will Shortz died, why not say so? I can take it. :)
As far as fish-wrapping goes, I fully support the recycling of newspaper by our multitudinous and environmentally conscious fishmonger population.
Amazing how you tortured that into a point of agreement. Congratulations on your verbal dexterity. ;)
Holy smokes, how could I forget? Tom Friedman is at the Times & I would even read the Washington Times to enjoy his columns. He is pragmatic and moderate. Unlike myself, he supported the war in Iraq, but is very disenchanted with the way it has been carried out. He's also a man who has spent a lot of time in the Middle East and understands the people and culture. Wow, we could use a guy like that in the White House...at least one would be nice anyway. I highly recommend his books.
Are you flacking for Friedman by flogging his fables?
He wrote in one of his columns that we should have shut down Abu Ghraib and turned it into a school to teach Iraqis information technology w/ equipment donated by Microsoft. To show the Iraqis that we have vision and understand humility. I thought it was a brilliant idea.
Nice guy. Generous, too. At least with Bill Gates' bucks. :rofl

I deeply regret his disenchantment. :(

The only Iraqis who don't comprehend our vision and our understanding of humility together with our resolve to lift the yoke of tyranny from their necks are the remnants of the toppled Saddam Hussein regime who do, on the other hand, comprehend that their days of power are gone forever unless they can disrupt the upcoming elections.

Abu Grhaib -- I understand that the troops are quite ticked off at the the antics of the group of six clowns who, they say, almost lost the war through public, as well as sexual, relations with each other. BTW, now that PVT Lynndie England has had her baby, by SPC Charles Graner whose trial started today, is ready for trial, herself, and two others have already been jailed for reasonable terms, I wonder how much longer the lefty-lib media is going to keep wagging this banner?

Back
Top Bottom