• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you prefer divided government?

How do you like your congress and president?

• Total voters

99percenter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
What do you guys think about divided govt?

I would prefer the Congress match the president, then things might have a slight chance of being done.

Having the party of a big federal government or the party of huge federal government in power is not much of a division.

I would prefer the Congress match the president, then things might have a slight chance of being done.

Done as in added to the federal level is the likely outcome. When was the last time that the federal government did not grow more powerful and expensive?

Done as in added to the federal level is the likely outcome. When was the last time that the federal government did not grow more powerful and expensive?

They might actually pass legislation, heaven forbid.

Like more collectivization of health care? more gun bans? more income redistribution? we have more government and more laws than we have ever needed. Its time to start rolling government back

Like more collectivization of health care? more gun bans? more income redistribution? we have more government and more laws than we have ever needed. Its time to start rolling government back

Funny I seem to remember bushcare and a growing govt with when bush was in power with a gop congress.

Funny I seem to remember bushcare and a growing govt with when bush was in power with a gop congress.

yeah that was bad and I was upset about that. but that was only possible due to the mutations of the federal jurisprudence that were created under FDR and then LBJ.

You also need a working legislature for that as well.

You also need a working legislature fro that as well.

our a few judges with some balls and an understanding of the tenth amendment

yeah that was bad and I was upset about that. but that was only possible due to the mutations of the federal jurisprudence that were created under FDR and then LBJ.

So you blame FDR for a gop president and congress 60 years after he is dead and LBJ 40 years after he left office. Damn. Is there anything you blame anyone with and R next to their name for? Your love for the GOP is mind boggling.

So you blame FDR for a gop president and congress 60 years after he is dead and LBJ 40 years after he left office. Damn. Is there anything you blame anyone with and R next to their name for? Your love for the GOP is mind boggling.

you are obviously unlearned about the jurisprudential mutations created by the FDR administration that allowed the federal government to act in dozens of areas that it had never ever been able to act prior to the FDR administration . Your ignorance of that fact is staggering. Stuff like Medicare, Medicaid, social security, etc never would have survived a court that existed prior to the start of the second FDR term. Back then, the tenth amendment was used by the supremes to strike down lots of FDR's first wave of "New Deal" collectivism.

you are obviously unlearned about the jurisprudential mutations created by the FDR administration that allowed the federal government to act in dozens of areas that it had never ever been able to act prior to the FDR administration . Your ignorance of that fact is staggering. Stuff like Medicare, Medicaid, social security, etc never would have survived a court that existed prior to the start of the second FDR term. Back then, the tenth amendment was used by the supremes to strike down lots of FDR's first wave of "New Deal" collectivism.

you missed the point entirely. Did FDR come back from the dead to force bush and the gop congress to pass bushcare, no child left behind, and grow the govt?

A divided government that engages in debate and reaches a compromise, however unsatisfactory the outcome, is preferable to unilateral decision making or complete and utter stagnation (the latter happens because they have the aspiration to acquire unilateral decision making and will tolerate nothing less).

you missed the point entirely. Did FDR come back from the dead to force bush and the gop congress to pass bushcare, no child left behind, and grow the govt?

both parties pander. and the pandering this way was made possible by FDR's massive change of governmental powers.

BTW why are you mad about Bush and the congress acting like Democrats? Its hilarious watching you fluff Obama and his health care while whining about Bush doing what he did

both parties pander. and the pandering this way was made possible by FDR's massive change of governmental powers.

BTW why are you mad about Bush and the congress acting like Democrats? Its hilarious watching you fluff Obama and his health care while whining about Bush doing what he did

Point is you don't seem to be mad. You blame a dem 60 years after he is dead for what bush and gop congress did that you deem to be collective. And why would I be mad at dems acting like dems?

Point is you don't seem to be mad. You blame a dem 60 years after he is dead for what bush and gop congress did that you deem to be collective. And why would I be mad at dems acting like dems?

why should I get mad. I just laugh at your hypocrisy. and pretending you are very conservative

Later dude, I have a very early flight to catch tomorrow

Yeah, I'm fine with a divided Congress. Neither party deserves to have both branches rubber stamping everything through though. 2002-2006 gave us a horrible legislature and 2008-2012 wasn't much better.

Considering how much each party has changed over the last few decades, I would prefer a government that is not divided.

Would that passing of legislation cede federal power (to the states and/or the people) and reduce the cost of the federal government? It seems that many only see passing legislation as a means to add to federal power and expense.

I suppose that depends on what things you want done.

I've never liked the idea of a majority forcing their will upon a minority, especially when that idea increases the tax burden for the minority. On either side of the aisle. yet, we need to make progress on many fronts. Having a divided government helps ensure that ideas that are passed are done so with all views taken into consideration. Even if I personally support an agenda of the majority, I'm empathetic to those who disagree.

I prefer divided government, but which direction the divide goes isn't as important to me. Division creates a check and balance.

Historically, at least. In today's world, it's all effed up.

I fear when both legislative and executive branches are the same. "Get more done" usually means what they're going to do *to* me. We've been a country for well over 200 years, we should have the vast majority of what needs to be done done. We should be more in caretaker mode by now.

Back
Top Bottom