• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do You Owe Your Employer Loyalty?

Do You Owe Your Employer Loyalty?

• Total voters

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Whenever I see articles about the "Great Resignation", "Big Quit" or whatever the hell the media has decided to call it this week a big part of the commentary is some old manager or executive commenting that employees just aren't loyal anymore.

That is because employees do not owe their employer any amount of loyalty. Employees are not loyal anymore is just code for "I treat my employees badly and/or underpay them but I don't know why they keep leaving". If they want "loyalty" they should treat their employees better, pay them what they will find elsewhere, don't give them a reason to leave. It is not an issue with young workers or the labour force at large, it is employers creating the issue.

Whenever I see articles about the "Great Resignation", "Big Quit" or whatever the hell the media has decided to call it this week a big part of the commentary is some old manager or executive commenting that employees just aren't loyal anymore.

That is because employees do not owe their employer any amount of loyalty. Employees are not loyal anymore is just code for "I treat my employees badly and/or underpay them but I don't know why they keep leaving". If they want "loyalty" they should treat their employees better, pay them what they will find elsewhere, don't give them a reason to leave. It is not an issue with young workers or the labour force at large, it is employers creating the issue.

To an extent.

If someone is contractually obligated to an assignment, then they should see it through if at all possible.

But just because someone has worked at a company does not mean that they should continue. Especially if they're being underpaid or mistreated.

That's what I love about this economy that favors employees. If they can get a better deal elsewhere, they'll take it.

Loyalty is given to people, for the most part, not companies.

And who the hell is going to be loyal to a business that considers them a cost center rather than a revenue center? There is no percentage in being loyal to that sort of idiocy.

Owe? Not really. I'm in a state in which anti-labor Republicans decided that I should be eligible for being shitcanned for any reason or for no reason at all. Am I loyal anyway? Yes. That's how I roll. If I'm in a position to find something better long term, I'll consider it, but I'm not much of a job jumper.

How about a for instance?

What do you mean for instance?
An example?

I had to include the internet dictionary definition because you know, Canada.
  1. as an example.
    "take Canada, for instance"

I chose "other" because it all depends on if you are working for the employer, or you have lost the job.

If you've lost the job, then absent a non-compete agreement entered into at time of hire, there is no requirement that you give your ex-employer any further consideration. You are a free agent seeking a new job.

If you are still working for the employer, then yes you owe them duties and responsibilities outlined in both your hiring agreement and published company policies. Thus, the prime duty (of such loyalty) is to do the job you were hired to do to the best of your ability and insure you take no actions that harm or reflect negatively on your employer while an employee.

Either that or quit.

It depends on the circumstances. Obviously.

My take on employment is like this:

I go show up to work on time and do the job I signed on to do for the amount of money previously agreed upon. And after whatever time that pay period is-- a week, maybe two weeks, then I get a paycheck from the employer for the work I have already done and then his (the employer's) debt to me is paid in full. Then next week we starts it all over again, and I again provide the agreed upon work to the employer, and then again he pays me.

Loyalty??? That to me is a term which applies to family and friends. A job is a business transaction, there is no need for "loyalty" not beyond what is agreed upon. Which for me means I show up and to an above and beyond job for my employer because that is just my nature. And when he pays me for my work, I am happy if he is happy that the salary he pays me, he believes was well worth it.

Bosses are not heroes for paying you for what they owe you. And workers are not heroes for showing up to do the job they signed up for, and do that job well. Any morality involved in this transaction all has to do with sticking by your agreement. This philosophy has always worked for me, and I am happy to report that every employer I had was happy to have me, and that I was always more than well compensated for my efforts. And even in jobs where I was laid off due to business needs, I never took in personally.

my two cents

An example?

I had to include the internet dictionary definition because you know, Canada.
  1. as an example.
    "take Canada, for instance"

An example of loyalty to your employer would be despite being offered better pay or not looking for a better job because you are "loyal" to your employer and would not want to leave despite better opportunities elsewhere.

An example of loyalty to your employer would be despite being offered better pay or not looking for a better job because you are "loyal" to your employer and would not want to leave despite better opportunities elsewhere.
That’s not much of an example. Loyalty is a two-way street. Loyalty would be more about not stealing money or proprietary information while in the employment of the firm. Are you saying that you would not consider leaving your current employer if you were offered ”better opportunities elsewhere?”

I chose "other" because it all depends on if you are working for the employer, or you have lost the job.

If you've lost the job, then absent a non-compete agreement entered into at time of hire, there is no requirement that you give your ex-employer any further consideration. You are a free agent seeking a new job.

If you are still working for the employer, then yes you owe them duties and responsibilities outlined in both your hiring agreement and published company policies. Thus, the prime duty (of such loyalty) is to do the job you were hired to do to the best of your ability and insure you take no actions that harm or reflect negatively on your employer while an employee.

Either that or quit.

I owe my employer X amount of labor at Y dollars per hour.

That's all I owe them.

That’s not much of an example. Loyalty is a two-way street. Loyalty would be more about not stealing money or proprietary information while in the employment of the firm. Are you saying that you would not consider leaving your current employer if you were offered ”better opportunities elsewhere?”
What you describe is just doing your job properly. The latter is exactly what I meant and what these employers in these articles complain about. They can't seem to figure out why their employees keep leaving.

What you describe is just doing your job properly. The latter is exactly what I meant and what these employers in these articles complain about. They can't seem to figure out why their employees keep leaving.

Further proof that they're too dumb to employ anyone.

Imagine thinking the market will always be in your favor.

The grass was greener?

Your poll doesn’t give much to work with.

I voted yes. I work for myself though, technically now for my wife now that I am mostly retired.
Employees should always work in their long term interests. In good situations the interest of the employer are compatible. Not always the case short term.

The grass was greener?

Your poll doesn’t give much to work with.
That is exactly what I mean. Should you continue to work for your employer out of "loyalty" despite better opportunities existing? My dad is an example of this, he has received job offers and could make much more elsewhere but he doesn't want to rock the boat.

Further proof that they're too dumb to employ anyone.

Imagine thinking the market will always be in your favor.
I mean that is just what is causing the reckoning the actual problem is just how most businesses treat their employees.

It can be a relationship.

I mean that is just what is causing the reckoning the actual problem is just how most businesses treat their employees.

Which is more or less what I said.

No.
And by the same token your employer owes you no loyalty.

The days of having that type of agreement between an employer and employee went out of fashion in the mid 70s, I believe.

That is exactly what I mean. Should you continue to work for your employer out of "loyalty" despite better opportunities existing? My dad is an example of this, he has received job offers and could make much more elsewhere but he doesn't want to rock the boat.
Well, there's more to a job than just money. Talk to your dad about what his thinking was, if you can.

Back
Top Bottom