• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you like to eat Americans?

Black-and-white cookies, half-and-half cookies, and half-moon cookies?

• I like to eat them all

• I only like the black ones

• I only like the white ones

• I only like to eat the black-and-white ones

• I like all of them, but prefer the white ones

• I like all of them, but prefer the black ones

• I like all of them, but prefer the black-and-white ones

• I like none of them

• I do not know any of them

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd rather go for an Indian or a Chinese. Mexicans are OK but heavy on the cheese!

You know that Berliners are also edible?
Maybe John F. Kennedy did not know when he declared: "Ich bin ein Berliner = I am a Berliner!"

Names for the Berliners:

The jelly-filled krapfen were called Berliners in the 1800s, based on the legend of a patriotic baker from Berlin who was a field baker for the Prussian regiment after he was turned down for military service. When the army was in the field, he "baked" the doughnuts the old-fashioned way, by frying them over an open fire. According to the tale, the soldiers called the pastry Berliner after the baker's hometown. The term Bismarcken (for Otto von Bismarck) came into use by the end of the 19th century.[1]

Immigrants from Central Europe settled in the United States in large numbers during the 19th century, and jelly doughnuts are called "bismarcks" in some parts of the Midwestern United States, Boston, and Alberta and Saskatchewan in Canada.[1]

The terminology used to refer to this delicacy differs greatly in various areas of modern Germany. While called Berliner Ballen or simply Berliner in Northern and Western Germany, as well as in Switzerland, the Berliners themselves and residents of Brandenburg, Western Pomerania, Saxony-Anhalt and Saxony know them as Pfannkuchen, which translates literarily and wrongly to "pancakes". A pancake in the rest of Germany is indeed a Pfannkuchen, in Southern Germany sometimes called Palatschinken. The people of Berlin call their pancakes Eierkuchen, which translates to "egg cakes".

More about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_(doughnut)

Known in many languages :)

berliininmunkki or piispanmunkki in Finland, berlinerbolle in Norway, sufganiyot in Israel, Berlínarbollur in Iceland, šiška in Slovakia, and gogoși in Romania. In Denmark it is called "Berliner". In Turkey, they are known as Alman Pastası (German Pie).

John F. Kennedy urban legend​

John F. Kennedy's words "Ich bin ein Berliner" are standard German for "I am a Berliner". Mentioned in Len Deighton's 1983 novel Berlin Game, an urban legend has it that due to his use of the indefinite article ein, Berliner is translated as "jelly doughnut", and that the population of Berlin was amused by the supposed mistake. This is incorrect, insofar as when leaving out ein, the meaning only changes slightly (compare I am Berliner and I am a Berliner). The normal convention when stating a nationality or, for instance, saying one is from Berlin, would be to leave out the indefinite article ein. Throughout the 1980s, the legend was spread even by reputable[weasel words] media like The New York Times, The Guardian, BBC and NBC.[citation needed]

However, Kennedy used the indefinite article here correctly to emphasize his relation to Berlin.[10][11] Additionally, the word Berliner is not used in Berlin to refer to the Berliner Pfannkuchen. These are simply called Pfannkuchen there[12] and therefore no Berliner would mistake Berliner for a doughnut.

Back
Top Bottom