• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you like this kind of music ?

?

• Total voters
I'd listen to some albums of it.

You ever heard of a group called The Beatles? Some dudes named Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Frank Sinatra, Elvis? A lady named Billie Holiday? And my favorite of all - a deaf musical composer named Beethoven?

You ever heard of a group called The Beatles? Some dudes named Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Frank Sinatra, Elvis? A lady named Billie Holiday? And my favorite of all - a deaf musical composer named Beethoven?
Wow, way to broaden your musical horizons. All people whose music has been around for decades 🙄

Yes, very good tunes.

And while I hate Austrian country music, I absolutely like US country music !

😎🕺

Yeah.

I like it.

Of course I have a very eclectic music palette.

Very little out there that I can't take or tolerate.

Vulgar Rap and most uber Metal Head Banger music are definite turn off sounds.

Yes, very good tunes.

And while I hate Austrian country music, I absolutely like US country music !

😎🕺

My playlist includes many types of music. I've found that the genres that I just don't get are 1-'twangy' country 2-opera (which bums me out because I feel like I should like it) 3-thrash metal and
4-jazz fusion.

You wanna see my Top 1000? There aren't many, but there are a few from the 2000s. It goes back to 1880. Tread lightly my friend or prepared to be embarrassed.
You assume that I embarrass easy. You are the one that mentioned nothing but older musicians. I'm just quoting your own words.

...my "friend".

Love all of them.

Listening to classically composed music right now on the local Boise university radio station.

What I love about them is they are classical during the day which goes well with anything I might be doing around the house while puttering, then in the evenings and weekends they dive into all sorts of other genres.

Also on the weekends I like it that they have a programming block dedicated to artists and bands just from Idaho.

Really a great listen and keeps me away from watching too much TV like I did before I discovered the radio station.

You wanna see my Top 1000? There aren't many, but there are a few from the 2000s. It goes back to 1880. Tread lightly my friend or prepared to be embarrassed.
;)(y)

I think it would be impossible for anyone to profile me as a singular individual based on my CD collection.

;)(y)

I think it would be impossible for anyone to profile me as a singular individual based on my CD collection.
It is very easy to profile you. I'd profile you as a "music" lover, not a "country" lover, "classical" lover, "older music" lover, or any other lover.

My playlist includes many types of music. I've found that the genres that I just don't get are 1-'twangy' country 2-opera (which bums me out because I feel like I should like it) 3-thrash metal and
4-jazz fusion.
I did not grow up on twangy country but twangy country was very much around when I grew up. My late teen years to late 20's had me in so many twangy country bars across Southern Missouri, Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana that I should have been a twangy country aficionado.

Still getting my opera wings as it were. I like a lot of them but I do not like not knowing what they are singing. I think that is why it is still taking me a long time to get to be a big fan. It doesn't make sense though cause I can listen to music in other languages that I definitely do not speak and love it all. Perhaps it is because I mentally know there is a bigger picture, grander play and or story in an opera and my mind feels it is missing something really important?

Jazz, Jazz Fusion and the Blues are some of the genres that the Boise University radio station play that I have been listening too and have in the last year or so gone from not a fan of them to a big fan of them, I have learned a lot about the artistry of those genres as well as some about the artists.

Thrash Metal (n)

I don't think there will ever be a day I would care for that.

It is very easy to profile you. I'd profile you as a "music" lover, not a "country" lover, "classical" lover, "older music" lover, or any other lover.
Well I'll be damned!

You dood it in one swell foop!

Patsy Cline is the only one I listen to of that genre.

My musical tastes are Mozart, swing, old school R&B, 90s Rap (Tupac my fav), punk, ska, alternative rock (from the 80s & 90s) goth and more.

My current favorite artists are Fantastic Negrito, Florence and the Machine, Leon Bridges, and Billie Holiday.

As of now my favorites are Orden Ogan, Billy Joel, Dream Theater, and Carl Czerny (I use many of his finger exercises when I teach my piano students).

Tom Waits, Utah Phillips, Woody Guthrie, Buddy Holly, Dock Boggs, Gil Scott -Heron, Hendrix, Taj Mahal Dr. John, etc
A totally incomplete list…
I like to say from Arlo to Zappa.

Love all of them.

Listening to classically composed music right now on the local Boise university radio station.

What I love about them is they are classical during the day which goes well with anything I might be doing around the house while puttering, then in the evenings and weekends they dive into all sorts of other genres.

Also on the weekends I like it that they have a programming block dedicated to artists and bands just from Idaho.

Really a great listen and keeps me away from watching too much TV like I did before I discovered the radio station.
Is it Boise State University? Is there a link? I sometime listen to Jazz88 in Minneapolis. I'm sure there are stations all over the world to listen to great old and original music. Someday not do far off, I'll retire and do almost nothing but listen to music.

Tom Waits, Utah Phillips, Woody Guthrie, Buddy Holly, Dock Boggs, Gil Scott -Heron, Hendrix, Taj Mahal Dr. John, etc

I usually say AC/DC to ZZ Top, although in the right mood I can maybe stand an ABBA song. Once in a while.

That leaves out ABBA! And ZZ Top! :)

Woody & Arlo, Buddy, Hendrix are all on the Top Grande. I need to listen more to Tom Waits as he is very highly critically rated. Definitely have to investigate further into Boggs. Bill Monroe, The Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, Lead Belly, Flatt & Scruggs, original Cajun artists, all have prominent spots on the Top Grande. I could spend a couple of years strictly dedicated to discovering and learning more of Taj Mahal's discography, and I probably should. Tried but I haven't been able yet to appreciate Zappa. I recognize his musical talent and pay the man his due respect, but I haven't yet warmed to his music. I went to one of his concerts here in Houston back in the late 70s and we walked out after 4 songs. (Sorry!) Dr. John was extremely talented but again, I'm not intimately familiar with his catalog. I remember his 70s single "Right Place, Wrong Time." I guess I need to dedicated an additional year to his music. I know I'll enjoy it. Phillips sounds like an interesting character, in a similar vein as W Guthrie politically.

I tried hard to steer GSH's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" into my Top 1000, but it just couldn't be squeezed in. It is spoken word so it's hard to even call it a song though it does obviously have musical and percussion elements. But I love it greatly, and it was so appropriate that it was inducted into the National Recording Registry in 2005. I'm not familiar with his other music, so he'll have to get in line. I'm on a classical music renaissance binge right now.

Back
Top Bottom