• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you know what causes climate change, odds are ya don't

A study in my home town (of San Diego) asked if people could identify the scientific reason why man made climate change is happening,... the findings, seems no one could correctly answer the question.

Thinking the findings were a fluke did my own informal survey (last year in 2019) about what causes climate change at two venues (a startup conference AND a gathering of people advocating for environmental issues).

Figured individuals at a tech startup conference AND a gathering of people advocating for the environment would be more "scientifically" knowledgeable about climate change.

Sadly found only one individual at the startup conference could correctly identify the scientific idea behind the greenhouse effect.

Since like many others I am stuck at home "social distancing" to prevent the spread of the virus, figured I would use the time off to learn how to use image editing software.

Long story short came up with a group of images that hopefully makes understandable the scientific mumbo jumbo behind the greenhouse effect AND mercifully also will lay to rest the politically motivated idea that climate change is a hoax invented by the Chinese.

2e425653119757c74fdf5bb43eea81d1e2464673.png

749d8409268bd2cdf44964c9a3acb4eb12d73df6.png

6ed11d0c0a027d5c35b884e54a7c298774401eb3.png

a6b9b175d19c1e43b02e142bc42fbeb2a8ac00ea.png

eb27af6786adb809f4778c54b35eeab039c9033d.jpeg

PS FWIW feel the need to do this because "Most Teachers Don’t Teach Climate Change; 4 In 5 Parents Wish They Did"

Robertinfremont;bt5257 said:
Artwork does not = science.

True artwork is no substitute for a formal scientific explanation; however the simple info graphics I put out there for comment is based on well understood science that people shy away from because science AND math are topics which individuals sadly really don't understand (this fact is reflected by various surveys and formal studies)

(Putting things in context) in order to solve a problem it has to be acknowledge and understood.

Fact of the matter is people don't understand the basic reason why climate change happens AND ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away.

The harsh reality is things are not going to magically fix themselves!

Basically what exists is a chicken or egg problem,... in other words teachers don't teach what causes climate change because it requires an understanding of various branches of science.

From what I have seen of people trying to teach or bring attention to the issue of climate change, is they pointing out of various effects like sea level rise, loss of ice which is polar bear habitat, etc.

Sure it is important to point out symptoms like sea level rise, loss of ice which is polar bear habitat, etc. but if the root cause is not understood or addressed,... the problems will only grow bigger AND the symptoms will continue unabated.

FWIW the reason I think more fact based artwork is needed is because it gives people not familiar with the subject a basic mental image to focus on (so that when people learn the details they have context)

There is no way to sugar coat the problem of climate change, but an image might put things into context!!

c401e16b649f2cb150fc8c9282630cf6fcc49796_2_702x1000.jpeg

Last edited:
Germinator;bt5259 said:
True artwork is no substitute for a formal scientific explanation; however the simple info graphics I put out there for comment is based on well understood science that people shy away from because science AND math are topics which individuals sadly really don't understand (this fact is reflected by various surveys and formal studies)

(Putting things in context) in order to solve a problem it has to be acknowledge and understood.

Fact of the matter is people don't understand the basic reason why climate change happens AND ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away.

The harsh reality is things are not going to magically fix themselves!

Basically what exists is a chicken or egg problem,... in other words teachers don't teach what causes climate change because it requires an understanding of various branches of science.

From what I have seen of people trying to teach or bring attention to the issue of climate change, is they pointing out of various effects like sea level rise, loss of ice which is polar bear habitat, etc.

Sure it is important to point out symptoms like sea level rise, loss of ice which is polar bear habitat, etc. but if the root cause is not understood or addressed,... the problems will only grow bigger AND the symptoms will continue unabated.

FWIW the reason I think more fact based artwork is needed is because it gives people not familiar with the subject a basic mental image to focus on (so that when people learn the details they have context)

There is no way to sugar coat the problem of climate change, but an image might put things into context!!

c401e16b649f2cb150fc8c9282630cf6fcc49796_2_702x1000.jpeg

Man has to stop this ego driven notion he is in charge of climate. He is puny compared to global climate.

Work on personal attitude first and then give others a try by trying to fix them. But expect resistance.

Robertinfremont;bt5261 said:
Man has to stop this ego driven notion he is in charge of climate. He is puny compared to global climate.

Work on personal attitude first and then give others a try by trying to fix them. But expect resistance.

Sadly human nature is a big problem

People have big egos and all too often individuals think they know it all (when in fact they are idiots who actually know very little)

9c87b99c3aeb20ac52327fe4dd48c72dd8b75761_2_750x750.jpeg

I thing I am thankful for is before going to a public university went to catholic schools which helped me appreciate that PRIDE is a sin (w/ consequences)

Because the subject of climate change is not really taught in schools, I've outlined the basic science of the greenhouse effect AND to make the info easy to access, registered a domain name (that redirects a user to a PDF on GoogleDocs)

ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org​

Have a look pretty sure you will find the PDF pitch deck informative (and to make it interactive the PDF links to sites like NASA that go into details)

Last edited:
Democrat decaying bullshit causes climate change.

Sent from Hillary's private email server.

Back
Top Bottom