• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you know any Christians?

Jkca1

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Not just people that say the believe in Jesus but actually walk the walk day in and day out?

Not just people that say the believe in Jesus but actually walk the walk day in and day out?
For the most part, nobody walks the walk day in and day out - perhaps with the exception of a relative handful of ascetics on the planet, most of which would not even identify as christian.

An intelligent Episcopal priest once said that when you don't act intelligently you are not following God plan for mankind. He gave us brains for a reason and we are expected to use them.

Yes I know people that act intelligently. They are not, however, fundamental ideologues, Bible thumpers, tongue-talkers, prosperity evangelicals, Mariologists, or anti-abortion fanatics.

Yes.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

What do you mean by "walking the walk"?
For the purpose of this discussion let's say;

Practice what you preach

Walk a mile with your enemies

Practice forgiveness

Sell your possessions and give to the needy

Do not toil to acquire wealth

For the purpose of this discussion let's say;

Practice what you preach

Walk a mile with your enemies

Practice forgiveness

So doing all the stuff that Jesus taught?

An intelligent Episcopal priest once said that when you don't act intelligently you are not following God plan for mankind. He gave us brains for a reason and we are expected to use them.

Yes I know people that act intelligently. They are not, however, fundamental ideologues, Bible thumpers, tongue-talkers, prosperity evangelicals, Mariologists, or anti-abortion fanatics.
But do they handle rattlesnakes?

For the purposes of this discussion "all" seems a little broad.

Some of the things that Jesus taught can be dismissed?

Yup.

Granted that number N is smaller than the number X, where X is those who profess Christianity.

Yup.

Granted that number N is smaller than the number X, where X is those who profess Christianity.
Would you mind jdescribing how they live and act.

Would you mind jdescribing how they live and act.

First of all let's be clear: nobody is perfect. The Bible is quite clear on that, and it is the reason we needed a savior and not just a list of rules.

But yes, I know plenty of people who are "walking Christians". When faced with a dilemma they try to do the right thing, even if it isn't convenient. They pray for God's guidance when they have a major decision before them. They strive to interact with others, even strangers, in a caring and compassionate way as much as humanly possible. They strive to live as morally as they can, while realizing as a mortal human being that they, like everyone, will fail in that at times.

But more than any laundry-list of do's and don'ts it is a matter of sincerely trying to follow God and letting His spirit within be your guide.

They don't generally wear sackcloth and ashes or live in a grass hut. They look like your neighbors and don't wear robes and beat themselves with rods. They work and raise kids and go on vacations like anyone else.

What's different about them is on the inside, and while yes that inner change causes outer change in behavior if the person is truly converted, it isn't about fulfilling anyone's laundry-list of specifics. Everyone is called to serve in different ways. Some are called to be preachers teachers or missionaries; others are called to be homemakers and otherwise-ordinary-Joes. You also have to realize that following Christ is a lifelong process, and different people are at different points in their "walk". Again, perfection is not something you will find in any Christian; only one was perfect, Jesus.

Jesus said (paraphrase) love the Lord with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself; on this hang all the laws and prophets. That's the goal, but getting there is a process, with steps and stages. If you're looking for perfect Christians, who never fail and have no flaws, congratulations they don't exist.

Finally let me say I doubt your intentions in asking this question. I doubt you want an honest answer, though I gave you one. I expect the whole purpose of this thread is simply to criticize and proclaim that there are no true Christians. If I misunderstand you then I apologize.

But my guess is you want to use whatever laundry-list you've come up with to discredit Christians and Christianity, and if so your problem is that not being one yourself, you're not going to understand what it is like. You probably don't want to understand, is my guess: you just want to criticize.

First of all let's be clear: nobody is perfect. The Bible is quite clear on that, and it is the reason we needed a savior and not just a list of rules.

But yes, I know plenty of people who are "walking Christians". When faced with a dilemma they try to do the right thing, even if it isn't convenient. They pray for God's guidance when they have a major decision before them. They strive to interact with others, even strangers, in a caring and compassionate way as much as humanly possible. They strive to live as morally as they can, while realizing as a mortal human being that they, like everyone, will fail in that at times.

But more than any laundry-list of do's and don'ts it is a matter of sincerely trying to follow God and letting His spirit within be your guide.

They don't generally wear sackcloth and ashes or live in a grass hut. They look like your neighbors and don't wear robes and beat themselves with rods. They work and raise kids and go on vacations like anyone else.

What's different about them is on the inside, and while yes that inner change causes outer change in behavior if the person is truly converted, it isn't about fulfilling anyone's laundry-list of specifics. Everyone is called to serve in different ways. Some are called to be preachers teachers or missionaries; others are called to be homemakers and otherwise-ordinary-Joes. You also have to realize that following Christ is a lifelong process, and different people are at different points in their "walk". Again, perfection is not something you will find in any Christian; only one was perfect, Jesus.

Jesus said (paraphrase) love the Lord with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself; on this hang all the laws and prophets. That's the goal, but getting there is a process, with steps and stages. If you're looking for perfect Christians, who never fail and have no flaws, congratulations they don't exist.

Finally let me say I doubt your intentions in asking this question. I doubt you want an honest answer, though I gave you one. I expect the whole purpose of this thread is simply to criticize and proclaim that there are no true Christians. If I misunderstand you then I apologize.

But my guess is you want to use whatever laundry-list you've come up with to discredit Christians and Christianity, and if so your problem is that not being one yourself, you're not going to understand what it is like. You probably don't want to understand, is my guess: you just want to criticize.
I don't know why you doubt my intentions but in these time I can understand why you might. You gave me exactly what I wanted and I thank you for doing that.

Well said. 👍

I don't know why you doubt my intentions but in these time I can understand why you might. You gave me exactly what I wanted and I thank you for doing that.

I find few on this forum who ask such a thing with honest intentions; thus my suspicions.

But as stated, if I mischaracterized your intent, I apologize.

I find few on this forum who ask such a thing with honest intentions; thus my suspicions.

But as stated, if I mischaracterized your intent, I apologize.
Agreed, Goshin....motives on this forum are so seldom pure, it sure is nice to see it...:)

In addition to Goshin's description - I'm mindful of how Paul described elders in the church - those men who are charged with overseeing the church and by their example leading it.

Their qualifications I believe readily address your question:

"...if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. For the overseer must be above reproach as God’s steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict." Titus 1:6-9

and,

"An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?), and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain, but holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. I Timothy 3:2-9

I've know many such men (and women) and look up to them for their example in how they live and treat others. None are perfect, but when you encounter them, you just know they're different somehow and are drawn to them.

Were that me? I wish, and pray...

I would like to say that yes I do know many Christians who walk the walk.
But that's simply basing it on what I see at some time, or what I heard about them.

If a Christian falls into temptation and sins, does that mean he's no longer a Christian who "walks the walk?"
No.

How do we really know "day in and day out," unless we are with them all day, everyday? :)
Only God knows who His true disciples are.

Last edited:
How do we know "day in and out," unless we are with them 24/7? :)
Christianity is a brotherhood...do you know your brothers?

God had also use wealth as a favour given to some prophets like Abraham, Job.....therefore, there is nothing wrong with being rich.
However, money can easily corrupt a person thus it's quite harder for a wealthy person to follow God.

God never condemned anyone for having riches, but He does give grave warnings to those who seek after riches more than they seek after God. First Timothy 6:17 says that the rich should not “put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but . . . put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.” Having wealth (whether we have $25 or $25 million) is not a bad thing if we keep our hope in God and use those resources for His glory. God’s desire is for us to set our hearts on things above and not on things on this earth (Matthew 6:19–21).

The principles in John’s message are still in force today. When our hearts are right with God, we will be quick to sacrifice and give to others. “God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7). We should pray daily to seek the Lord’s guidance for how we can best use the money and other resources He has entrusted to us.

Christianity is a brotherhood...do you know your brothers?
:rolleyes:

He's talking specifically of a Christian who "walks the walk, day in and day out."

Now that you stated that - just for the record:
do you consider Christians who are not Jehovah's Witnesses your brothers and sisters?

:rolleyes:

He's talking specifically of a Christian who "walks the walk, day in and day out."

Now that you stated that - just for the record:
do you consider Christians who are not Jehovah's Witnesses your brothers and sisters?
I consider those who follow Jesus and his teachings to be my brothers and sisters...

Back
Top Bottom