• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you know any anti-vaxxers?

Yeah, well. When no more people under 65 dies from Ciovid than they do from the flu, it is crazy.
Another one dismissing a whole generation.

There's a lot of things not everyone gets and not everyone dies from. Reasonable precautions to prevent death from risks (especially a preventable disease) make sense.
yeah. like all the vaccines that Texas mandates.

I've never met anyone IRL who goes around telling people they shouldn't get the vaccine. Not one.

So no, I don't know an "anti vaxxer."

I wouldn't want to know one if they were as obnoxious in propagating their beliefs as many vaccine insisters are.

I know many vaccine hesitant people and the reasons they give are the lack of data on long term effects and distrust of the government.

Given how often Fauci and friends have been wrong and how slippery the are in refusing to admit that they were just plain wrong, that mistrust has been earned in spades.

I have two brothers who are anti-vaxxers, one conservative, watches too much Tucker, one a far right nutter who is also very racist, which is odd, because we grew up in suburban Detroit with many black friends and schoolmates. I doubt there is anything I could say to change their minds.

I'm curious about forum members' experience with people who are vaccine hesitant. Do you know people refusing the vaccine and what reasons are they giving?

I know two. One is a member of a breakaway Penticostal group who's refused as he was told God would protect him.

The other is refusing because he "heard" (undoubtedly read on Facebook) that a lot of people were ending up in wheelchairs after getting the shot.

I've got a friend who resigned a pretty nice salaried position over the fact that her company was requiring that everyone get vaccinated. She let me read her letter of resignation and... wow. To be honest, it read a lot like much of the far right bickering we get here at DP.

My brother was pretty anti-vax but, when his company started floating the idea that it would be required, he went ahead and got it.

On the flip-side, I also know some uber-vax types; those people who don't even want to be in the same zip code as someone who's not been vaccinated...

Sorry but I'm sticking with the term. We're talking about people who are anti-vaccination so "anti-vaxxers" works.
You couldn't change it now if you wanted to. Thanks!!

dems_vs_reps_covid_vaccinations.jpg

Correlation does not imply causation.

So your assertion is that specifically Democrats in Republican states are the majority of Anti-vaxxers? Really?

Do you need a county-by-county breakdown?

ss1.jpg

Still correlation?

How do you then explain all the polls that say the same thing - Republicans are much more likely to be unvaccinated?

Here is just one:

ss2.jpg

Last edited:
I know a few, an old friend that I've known for over 50 years, she had Covid and refuses to be vaccinated, she nearly lost her job over it. And, my GF's son and fiance, he keeps saying he will get it, but doesn't, his father is an over the top right wing fundamentalist nut (he even flew to London to protest at a mosque over there. He is so christian, but he has now cheated on two wives because he is a hypocritical asshole).

The majority of people I know who are vaccine hesitant are so because of media presentation of the disease. All that's ever presented are the worst case scenarios because if "it bleeds it leads" gets ratings and not "Joe down the street had it, recovered, and was just fine."

If you've ever had someone in your life who only speaks in exaggerations - you really get numb to them. Same can be said of the media.

The vaccine hesitant I know know many people who have had Covid and recovered. Most of the people they know didn't even require a hospital visit. They were the people who continued to work (or knew people who continued to work) during the shut down without the benefit of a vaccine - and they were fine. They don't have personal experience with Covid deaths or people with serious covid issues. Like the Hunger Games - the odds are forever in their favor and they know it.

I've convinced 4 that I know of to get the vaccine. I've talked to more but don't know the outcomes of those discussions. I can tell you now it wasn't from calling them names. I work in an ER - we know better to think a patient will listen to some raving lunatic doctor or nurse who is calling them names, cussing them, or (worst yet) telling them they don't care about them. It isn't an effective method to get a message through.

Pretty much I go back to that Hunger Games message - the odd are forever in your favor. Until they aren't. The vaccine will just help to keep them that way. It's a simple, honest, and non drama queen way to communicate.

You're not crass - just indifferent to deaths of older individuals. You complain about my terminology then a few posts later you write off a whole generation.
Stating the science is considered "writing off" an entire generation? 30+ million Americans were diagnosed with heart disease in 2018 - 2019 (that's roughly 10% of the population), and nearly 650K Americans die each year from these outcomes. That's fact .. science .. and when you add a catalyst, it only intensifies what we already know. death.

Call it "writing off" a generation, and I'll counter with "using the science" to identify the inevitable outcomes of a catalyst.

Call it "writing off" a generation, and I'll counter with "using the science" to identify the inevitable outcomes of a catalyst.
The 'catalyst' is easily preventable.

Everyone is going to die. So let's not do ANY preventative measures. /s

Also, death is not the only negative impact of a covid infection.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
True statement .. now .. what long term effects have we seen from those contracting COVID? Do tell? And what percentage of infected people experience these long-term effects?

Get over this abject fear of cigarettes. Not everyone gets cancer and not everyone dies.
Want to make a law that people can't be obese anymore or drive then?

I hate false analogies.

Did you know that far more kids get killed each year driving to a from school than do from COVID? Do we now stop that?

Another one dismissing a whole generation.
How is that? How is posting the truth "dismissing a whole generation"?

If you are worried about people over 65 or people over 65 are, YOU stay away from them or if they are worried, they stay home.

I’m sure that gives family members of the dead great comfort

It probably doesn't, but it doesn't change the facts.

A lot MORE families are pissed about their loved ones dying that did NOT get the vaccine and will forever wonder if they could have saved them by maybe pushing a little harder.

For the families of vaccinated, they get a lot of comfort knowing that they did all they could.

Finally a lot MORE families of vaccinate are super happy getting vaccine before covid and surviving it.

True statement .. now .. what long term effects have we seen from those contracting COVID? Do tell? And what percentage of infected people experience these long-term effects?
Start a new thread and we'll chat. I think this thread topic is interesting and I'm not going to be a part of sending it down an off-topic rabbit hole.

I'm afraid I do, my own oldest son and his girlfriend...does it worry me? Yes...is there anything I can do about it? No...I haven't seen him in person since this pandemic started and I have no plans to in the future...he thinks I'm the crazy one...

I'm curious about forum members' experience with people who are vaccine hesitant. Do you know people refusing the vaccine and what reasons are they giving?

I know two. One is a member of a breakaway Penticostal group who's refused as he was told God would protect him.

The other is refusing because he "heard" (undoubtedly read on Facebook) that a lot of people were ending up in wheelchairs after getting the shot.
Yes I've come across several, you can tell because the unvaccinated had to mask indoors while double vaxxed could freely roam with no mask (that has now changed). It was easy to see who was who. I didn't ask them why, I figure that's their business.

One of the reasons I left my previous position was that there were several of my collogues who refused to get vaxxed. Then when the mask mandate was lifted a few months ago (it's now been reinstated) they then started running around the shop without masks.

I didn't discuss their reasoning with them, didn't feel it was my business, but it really angered me.

You know, just calling people "anti-vaxxers," is so off putting that it's reason enough for people to resist. I can think of half dozen respectable ways of describing people who are not vaccinated without resorting to some polarizing label. It's a leftie term, Allan. Thanks!!

Pouting and putting off vaccines because someone may or may not have called them antivaxxer on a political forum is childish, petulant and frankly stupid.

An idiot looking for a "reason" to antivax.

It isn't a "leftie" term. It is an equal opportunity term to describe idiots.

If we could stop obesity and car accidents with a vaccine, hell yes.

If we could stop it with a vaccine, hell yes.

Care to discuss false analogies now?
So we sotp life because of a vaccine cause we can? Tell me why we don't stop driving kids to school then? We can do this.

So we sotp life because of a vaccine cause we can? Tell me why we don't stop driving kids to school then? We can do this.
What are you talking about? If we could stop obesity, car accidents and kids getting killed on school buses by a vaccine, we should, I said. You feeling okay?

Back
Top Bottom