• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you Keep a Messy or Tidy Desk?

Do you Keep a Messy or Clean Desk?

• Total voters

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Do you keep a messy desk? Clutter and disorganized, papers and items stacked all over it. Computer cluttered with pics and stickies. Or do you keep a desk Neat and clean, tidy and organized. Is it a desk with drawers and or a hutch? Organizer that sits on top of the desk as part of the desk? Credenza attached and are these clean and tidy. Or Messy and cluttered too?

What do you keep on your desk?

The reason I ask is there has been a Study done on those with desks.

Does a Spotless or Messy Desk Influence Behavior?

Odd Couple is a mixture......My desk is neat and clean. But my organizer on top is not.

Last edited:
Do you keep a messy desk? Clutter and disorganized, papers and items stacked all over it. Computer cluttered with pics and stickies. Or do you keep a desk Neat and clean, tidy and organized. Is it a desk with drawers and or a hutch? Organizer that sits on top of the desk as part of the desk? Credenza attached and are these clean and tidy. Or Messy and cluttered too?

Mostly organised, gets messy after a bit but then I just tidy it again. It has just got a surface and no drawers.
I keep my Laptop, Books and Folders in general along with a lamp.
I think it doesn't make much of a difference. I know a guy who has a mess of a desk who is clever but lacks common sense, and the exact opposite for another guy :lol:
And Yourself?

Mostly organised, gets messy after a bit but then I just tidy it again. It has just got a surface and no drawers.
I keep my Laptop, Books and Folders in general along with a lamp.
I think it doesn't make much of a difference. I know a guy who has a mess of a desk who is clever but lacks common sense, and the exact opposite for another guy :lol:
And Yourself?

Mornin' Spriggs. :2wave: I too keep my desk part neat and clean. I only have the puter sitting on that part. My coffee cup and small radio. Now my Organizer on top Has some photographs, nick naks, stuff thrown all in the little compartments. Plus I throw my hats on top, which I have an Oriental Tray which I throw my keys, glasses, and money in.

I had to keep a spot cleared for My kitten when she was little. Now I keep a chair next to mine. Actually two. As I have one on the side too. Which I set up for her so she could lay next to me.

They have a study out saying both have their own strengths, and identifiers.

Clean & tidy.

My desk has drawers.

My good sized desk top has my monitor, my pc, a clock, a drink coaster, and an ash trey on it. I do not like clutter in my house;).

Do you Keep a Messy or Clean Desk?

Yes, no...

Uh, I have some trouble answering this one. Yes to a messy or yes to a clean desk? :thinking

Yes, no...

Uh, I have some trouble answering this one. Yes to a messy or yes to a clean desk? :thinking

Morning Canell and btw welcome back, been awhile since I have seen ya. :2wave: Care to elaborate.

Here is what Einsten's desk looked like.

article-0-0F835DA100000578-658_235x425.jpg

My desk at work is very tidy.

Clean & tidy.

My desk has drawers.

My good sized desk top has my monitor, my pc, a clock, a drink coaster, and an ash trey on it. I do not like clutter in my house;).

Mornin Baralis. :2wave: I am the same when it comes to the rest of the house. Specially my kitchen. I like the kitchen to be dialed in clean and spotless at all times. No dishes on counters or pans sitting on stoves. When I get up to get my coffee without overhead lights on, I like seeing it gleaming in what other little light sources we have. Kitchen counters shining with no junk all over them. Kitchen table cleaned and cleared no stuff thrown all over or coats on the backs of chairs etc. Same with my vinyl tile flooring. Clean enuff to eat off the floor. :lol:

Use to be a time in my life with the OL.....she had to be vary wary walking in the kitchen in the morning. Wearing nothing but a t-shirt , my shirt, or a robe.
love4.gif
Just saying.
yo2.gif

Mornin TGND.
hat.gif
Do you keep a desk or computer station at home?

messy-desk-man-office-SS.jpg

At home? A computer desk, but I rarely use it. I have a crappy laptop that was given to me, so the computer desk is now a homework desk for the kids.

It's not mixed, it's clean. Anyway, I leave the rest to you. :)

Alright and Thanks.....Here is some info on those that keep a desk neat and clean.

Working at a clean and prim desk may promote healthy eating, generosity, and conventionality, according to new research.

“Prior work has found that a clean setting leads people to do good things: Not engage in crime, not litter, and show more generosity,” Vohs said.

“We used 6 different locations in our paper – the specifics of the rooms were not important. Just making that environment tidy or unkempt made a whopping difference in people’s behavior,” said Vohs.

The researchers are continuing to investigate whether these effects might even transfer to a virtual environment: the Internet. Preliminary findings suggest that the tidiness of a webpage predicts the same kind of behaviors.

These preliminary data, coupled with the findings just published, are especially intriguing because of their broad relevance.

“We are all exposed to various kinds of settings, such as in our office space, our homes, our cars, even on the Internet,” Vohs said. “Whether you have control over the tidiness of the environment or not, you are exposed to it and our research shows it can affect you.”.....snip~

At work, it starts tidy, as the day wears on it gets quite cluttered, but it's neat and tidy again at the end of the day.

At home, that runs spells. There is a pile of stuff: receipts, paid bills, assorted what-ever, but it's all in one corner. When I have absolutely nothing better to do, like get a root canal, I do all my personal bookkeeping (yes, I use an accounting program at home) and it all goes away. Then it will buildup for another couple of months. But other than that pile, it's clean and tidy.

At work, it starts tidy, as the day wears on it gets quite cluttered, but it's neat and tidy again at the end of the day.

At home, that runs spells. There is a pile of stuff: receipts, paid bills, assorted what-ever, but it's all in one corner. When I have absolutely nothing better to do, like get a root canal, I do all my personal bookkeeping (yes, I use an accounting program at home) and it all goes away. Then it will buildup for another couple of months. But other than that pile, it's clean and tidy.

article-2088359-0F836EE100000578-171_472x630.jpg

Accounting stuff eh GG.....Mornin! :2wave: Here is what they have to say on those that keep messy desks.

Messy desks in the office can actually lead employees to think more clearly, say researchers

Being surrounded by mess forces people to 'simplify' thoughts
People make clear, simple choices at messy desks
Effect works less on liberals, who are less worried about mess

Managers and office busybodies might be keen on a clean desk - but it seems that in terms of productivity, they could have it all wrong.

A messy desk can actually lead people towards clearer thinking, say researchers from Germany.

The researchers found in a series of linked studies - using a messy desk and a messy shop front - that people actually thought more clearly when all around was chaos, as they sought to simplify the tasks at hand.

Visual and mental clutter forces human beings to focus and think more clearly.

'Messy desks may not be as detrimental as they appear to be, as the problem-solving approaches they seem to cause can boost work efficiency or enhance employees' creativity in problem solving,' say the authors.

Oddly, the effect seems to work most on conservatives - political liberals are less liable to be worried about mess in the first place, say the researchers.

'Business and government managers often promote 'clean desk' policies to avoid disorganized offices and messy desks, for the purpose of boosting work efficiency and productivity,' write lead Jia Liu of the University of Groningen in a paper published in the Journal of Consumer Research.

'This practice is based on the conventional wisdom that a disorganized and messy environment can clutter one's mind and complicate one's judgments.'

The authors found in the series of six studies tended towards simplicity in their thinking.

Read more: Messy desks in the office can actually lead employees to think more clearly, say researchers | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Odd couple. Half my desk is clean and tidy, it's where my laptop and a lot of the programming documentation is. The other half is for everything else and it's an organized mess.

Neat freak here. 'cept when I'm tired.

Mornin' WCH.....nothing wrong with that. As for some Simplicity comes into play with ones own environment. ;)

Here is another piece on this. ;)

Does having a neat or sloppy desk influence the way you think?

woman_at_desk.jpg

There seem to be two types of people in the world: those who keep their desks neat and those who don’t. Now, new research shows that whether your desk is messy or tidy may influence how you think.

In a study published in the journal Psychological Science, researchers found that working at a clean and tidy desk promotes socially acceptable behaviors, like generosity and healthy eating, whereas working at a sloppy desk promotes out-of the-box thinking and an openness to new ideas.

While previous research has indicated that different personality types lean towards order and disorder, researcher Kathleen Vohs and her colleagues at the University of Minnesota wanted to see if different types of work environments would promote different behaviors, regardless of personality type. Specifically, researchers wanted to examine whether order encouraged people to act in a more socially acceptable, conventional way - or if disorderly environments would encourage people to seek novelty and display unconventional behavior.

As the researchers predicted, those in the tidy room donated more than twice as much of their money to charity than those in the messy room. Eighty-two percent of those in the neat room donated some money, versus 47 percent of those in the disorderly room. People in the tidy room were also more likely to choose the apple over the candy bar, compared to those those in the messy room. Researchers believed the clean room encouraged people to do what was socially expected of them, Vohs said.

In a second experiment, the researchers sought to test creativity. Participants were asked to think up as many as 10 new uses for ping pong balls.

Those in the messy room came up with the same number of ideas as their clean-room counterparts. But the ideas of the people in the messy room were rated as more interesting and creative when evaluated by impartial judges.

"Being in a messy room led to something that firms, industries and societies want more of: creativity," Vohs said.

"Disorderly environments seem to inspire breaking free of tradition, which can produce fresh insights," said Vohs. "Orderly environments, in contrast, encourage convention and playing it safe."

Read more: Does having a neat or sloppy desk influence the way you think? | Fox News

Odd Couple is a mixture......My desk is neat and clean. But my organizer on top is not.

My desk is messy as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore! Hahah. I will take it. I organize by piles. Scientific papers in some piles, design review notes in another, coffee stains where my coffee mug goes, equipment scattered in between. I have drawers, one holds a variety of papers which actually are organized in folders. I think I have a pair of shorts in another. Whatever, I can find everything just fine.

So i have a good excuse to tell the bosses :lol:
article-2088359-0F836EE100000578-171_472x630.jpg

Accounting stuff eh GG.....Mornin! :2wave: Here is what they have to say on those that keep messy desks.

Messy desks in the office can actually lead employees to think more clearly, say researchers

Being surrounded by mess forces people to 'simplify' thoughts
People make clear, simple choices at messy desks
Effect works less on liberals, who are less worried about mess

Managers and office busybodies might be keen on a clean desk - but it seems that in terms of productivity, they could have it all wrong.

A messy desk can actually lead people towards clearer thinking, say researchers from Germany.

The researchers found in a series of linked studies - using a messy desk and a messy shop front - that people actually thought more clearly when all around was chaos, as they sought to simplify the tasks at hand.

Visual and mental clutter forces human beings to focus and think more clearly.

'Messy desks may not be as detrimental as they appear to be, as the problem-solving approaches they seem to cause can boost work efficiency or enhance employees' creativity in problem solving,' say the authors.

Oddly, the effect seems to work most on conservatives - political liberals are less liable to be worried about mess in the first place, say the researchers.

'Business and government managers often promote 'clean desk' policies to avoid disorganized offices and messy desks, for the purpose of boosting work efficiency and productivity,' write lead Jia Liu of the University of Groningen in a paper published in the Journal of Consumer Research.

'This practice is based on the conventional wisdom that a disorganized and messy environment can clutter one's mind and complicate one's judgments.'

The authors found in the series of six studies tended towards simplicity in their thinking.

Read more: Messy desks in the office can actually lead employees to think more clearly, say researchers | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

My desk is messy as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore! Hahah. I will take it. I organize by piles. Scientific papers in some piles, design review notes in another, coffee stains where my coffee mug goes, equipment scattered in between. I have drawers, one holds a variety of papers which actually are organized in folders. I think I have a pair of shorts in another. Whatever, I can find everything just fine.

:lol: Mornin Ikari :2wave: .....oh yeah. I have one of those drawers too. From tools, pens, cards, flashlights, pins, tape measures, and all kinds of junk. The tradional junk drawer. :2razz:

Last edited:
Tidy. I try to generate as little paper as possible. I was never good at filing papers, I can never find something when I need it so I keep as much as possible in electronic form. That goes for at home as well, any papers I really need to keep get scanned and stored on a PC that gets backed up regularly.

My PC desktop is also clean. The only icon on it is the Recycle Bin that's only because I can't find a way to get rid of it.

Here is a piece from Huff-Po.

What Real Women's Desks Look Like -- Submit Yours!

Office Organization: In Defense Of Messy Desks

This summer, we asked successful women what's in their desk. Now we want to know about what's in -- and on -- yours! Are you a proud organizer of pencils or a hoarder of post-its?

HuffPost Women Assistant Editor Emma Gray

slide_206392_641185_large.jpg

Besides the essentials (obviously my laptop, monitor, books), I like to have something fun to look at throughout the day. Putting up old Harlequinn book covers did the trick! Nothing says motivation like a circa-1949 novel entitled "No Nice Girl."

-Emma Gray, associate editor, HuffPost Women and HuffPost Parents

Chrissybornes Desk.....

slide_206392_641529_large.jpg

Here is a piece from Huff-Po.

What Real Women's Desks Look Like -- Submit Yours!

This summer, we asked successful women what's in their desk. Now we want to know about what's in -- and on -- yours! Are you a proud organizer of pencils or a hoarder of post-its?

HuffPost Women Assistant Editor Emma Gray

slide_206392_641185_large.jpg

Besides the essentials (obviously my laptop, monitor, books), I like to have something fun to look at throughout the day. Putting up old Harlequinn book covers did the trick! Nothing says motivation like a circa-1949 novel entitled "No Nice Girl."

-Emma Gray, associate editor, HuffPost Women and HuffPost Parents

Chrissybornes Desk.....

slide_206392_641529_large.jpg

Morning MMC !! My workstation to me is odd couple,some might think its messy
but to me it all makes sense.Sticky note on computer for login,
folder rack right next to it with my brains written on the folder.

I suffer from CRS!!:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom