• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you Keep a Messy or Tidy Desk?

Do you Keep a Messy or Clean Desk?

• Total voters
Morning MMC !! My workstation to me is odd couple,some might think its messy
but to me it all makes sense.Sticky note on computer for login,
folder rack right next to it with my brains written on the folder.

I suffer from CRS!!QUOTE]

:lol: Mornin Penn. :2wave: What I find funny is. They came up with a National Clean off Your Desk Day in January. :shock: Then gave out tips for people to tidy up their desks. :doh

If ya read the thread from the beginning. They also said liberals didn't care so much about having a messy desk. So I thought it was quite funny that Huff Po would try and get all of their flock into tidying up their desks. :lamo

I wanted to answer much earlier but I couldn't find the keyboard.

But seriously, folks ... it depends.

Things can get really really messy if I'm into something and it's
pigpen.gif

Then when the storm has passed it can be
tonyrandall1.jpg

Looking down at my desktop, I see various shreds of paper towels my dog got ahold of, a checkbook from an account I closed two years ago, envelopes from various bills I paid when overdue, three 8x 11 school pics of my kid I've been meaning to frame, scaps of paper with passwords written on them, a receipt for a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Seasonal Ale, some greek fusilli pasta and some grilled chicken with cilantro and lime, a cat toy saved from the marauding jaws of the aforementioned beastie, a snow globe, one pen and four pen caps, a book about daylilies, my headphones, two pairs of reading glasses each missing one temple and a sock torn to pieces.

I wanted to answer much earlier but I couldn't find the keyboard.

But seriously, folks ... it depends.

Things can get really really messy if I'm into something and it's
pigpen.gif

Then when the storm has passed it can be
tonyrandall1.jpg

Well, we can see how that creativity works with you.....my friend. ;) :2razz:

They have a study out saying both have their own strengths, and identifiers.

Do you have a link? Sounds interesting.

Office at work is neat.

The office at home, including but not limited to the desk, looks like a bomb hit it.

My desk is usually pretty messy, until I get sick and tired of it about every couple of months, and clean it up, at which point it starts to become messy once again. :lol:

My desk is messy as hell. I'm pretty sure there's a new lifeform that has adapted to its hostile environment which I have dubbed "Tuckerensis casenopium".

My office desk -

40a33a31-29b7-45fb-8c3f-0cd73fd8558c_zpsf9bee2f6.jpg

I do have another desk in another office where I'll meet clients.

May I suggest a shredder be placed in the lower left hand corner?

I no longer use shredders. Everything goes into boxes and gets stacked in the back room then once a year or so I call the shred truck. Costs me about $60/yr instead of going through 6 $300 shredders in the same amount of time.

I no longer use shredders. Everything goes into boxes and gets stacked in the back room then once a year or so I call the shred truck. Costs me about $60/yr instead of going through 6 $300 shredders in the same amount of time.

That would make a hellofa marshmallow roast..... :wink:

Everybody should know that the first law of psychodynamics states that the order of one's desk is inversely proportional to the order of one's mind.

Everybody should know that the first law of psychodynamics states that the order of one's desk is inversely proportional to the order of one's mind.

Lol- I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :lol:

Where in the hell does one find a $300 dollar shredder? I think I may want one. ;)

That would make a hellofa marshmallow roast..... :wink:

Yeah....that's just the desk. I also have a credenza behind the desk, file cabinets in front of the desk and bookshelves next to the desk.

This is actually a little exaggerated right now. The two piles to the right are an audit that just wrapped up and a tax return I was working on before the "emergency" job (purple binder) came in. The pile on the left is mostly "work in progress" and that's usually all that's on the desk. Everything else goes in vertical files and cycles pretty quickly.

Where in the hell does one find a $300 dollar shredder? I think I may want one. ;)

I was blowing out the $40-60 ones so fast that I decided to go commercial grade which got me a shredder that lasted weeks instead of days. When one went belly up the paperwork would pile up which then necessitated a whole day of shredding so I just stopped the whole process and went with my current plan which has been working fine.

Yeah....that's just the desk. I also have a credenza behind the desk, file cabinets in front of the desk and bookshelves next to the desk.

This is actually a little exaggerated right now. The two piles to the right are an audit that just wrapped up and a tax return I was working on before the "emergency" job (purple binder) came in. The pile on the left is mostly "work in progress" and that's usually all that's on the desk. Everything else goes in vertical files and cycles pretty quickly.

My infamous statement: My interruptions are only interrupted by more interruptions.
And to figure out what I was doing to begin with, I stop and say: What was I doing and who was I doing it to? :lol: and I'll mentally back track.

My desk is an L shape, and every surface has it's stacks, plus whatever flows through for that day. At end of day, I tidy it into neat little stacks, so I can forget where I put it all tomorrow. Oo

I generally keep my desk pretty messy. However, I prefer to think of it as being a form of "organized chaos" rather than a complete mess

I know exactly where everything is. I swear! :lol:

I generally keep my desk pretty messy. However, I prefer to think of it as being a form of "organized chaos" rather than a complete mess

Except for what you need at that moment...... :wink:

Do you have a link? Sounds interesting.

Sure Spriggs......here ya go.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org...desk-or-messy-desk-each-has-its-benefits.html

The new studies, conducted by psychological scientist Kathleen Vohs and her fellow researchers at the University of Minnesota are published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science.

Press Coverage of this Article Tidy or Messy Environment Can Impact Decisions and Behavior, Study Says - ABC News - August 11, 2013
Study: Messy desks get creative juices flowing - Minnesota Public Radio - August 7, 2013
Does having a neat or sloppy desk influence the way you think? - Fox News - August 7, 2013

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/08/01/0956797613480186

Last edited:
Do you keep a messy desk? Clutter and disorganized, papers and items stacked all over it. Computer cluttered with pics and stickies. Or do you keep a desk Neat and clean, tidy and organized. Is it a desk with drawers and or a hutch? Organizer that sits on top of the desk as part of the desk? Credenza attached and are these clean and tidy. Or Messy and cluttered too?

What do you keep on your desk?

The reason I ask is there has been a Study done on those with desks.

Does a Spotless or Messy Desk Influence Behavior?

Odd Couple is a mixture......My desk is neat and clean. But my organizer on top is not.

the 'Eathen in 'is blindness,
bows down to wood and stone;
'e don't obey no orders,
unless they is his own;
'e keeps his sidearms aweful,
leaves 'em all about...
... and then up comes The Regiment,
and pokes the 'Eathen out!
-R. Kipling

:)

That describes my desk. I almost always have multiple projects going, so there are stacks of papers and other bits, but I really do know where everything is.

My drawers, on the other hand, are the epitome of neat and orderly.

I have multiple desks. The one I usually use the most is half-way in between but do not ever open the drawers--Ever--evil things live in them. They are so scary I don't even open the drawers. They are each their own little Jack-In-The-Pandora's-Box

From afar, it looks tidy. But the drawers are a mess. I need to work on that.

Back
Top Bottom