• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you invest?

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I'm interested in what people might be investing in these days. Are you into Bitcoin, gold, mortgage equity, something else? How has your investment performed compared to the overall market in the past year?

For comparison's purpose the Dow has grown 7.84% in the past year and the S&P has grown 16.4%.

I invested in AMZN early and have diversified into ETFs (Vanguard's VTI and MGK). I wanted to avoid the eggs all being in the Amazon basket so went with ETFs as a way to spread risk. AMZN is up 69.1% in the last year, VTI up 20% and MGK is up 34.72%

Do you think you'll have enough to retire comfortably?

I have 300 000 in various mutual funds most in conservative monthly income funds as the stock markets are vastly overvalued

I have a rental property that is worth approx 170 000

70 000 in cash bank accounts

and equity in two homes equal to 600 000

I lost a lot of paper wealth on the homes in the last 3 years (and would lose approx 50 000 on one if I sold it now)

Not enough to retire yet but I have 20 years left to work and the wife has 25

Last edited:
I have 300 000 in various mutual funds most in conservative monthly income funds as the stock markets are vastly overvalued

I have a rental property that is worth approx 170 000

70 000 in cash bank accounts

and equity in two homes equal to 600 000

I lost a lot of paper wealth on the homes in the last 3 years (and would lose approx 50 000 on one if I sold it now)

Good safe investments. How close are you to retirement? I'm thinking if your runway is long enough the housing market will bring you above water on the properties eventually.

Good safe investments. How close are you to retirement? I'm thinking if your runway is long enough the housing market will bring you above water on the properties eventually.

20 years or so. No company pension, as the company’s I have worked at have down the matching Rrsp contributions

20 years or so. No company pension, as the company’s I have worked at have down the matching Rrsp contributions

I retired with a defined benefit pension from a US Fortune 500 (Evil American Multinational Inc). They only offer a defined contribution now but I was grandfathered in.

You're going to have a very comfortable retirement as you'll easily weather any flux in the markets.

I'm interested in what people might be investing in these days. Are you into Bitcoin, gold, mortgage equity, something else? How has your investment performed compared to the overall market in the past year?

For comparison's purpose the Dow has grown 7.84% in the past year and the S&P has grown 16.4%.

I invested in AMZN early and have diversified into ETFs (Vanguard's VTI and MGK). I wanted to avoid the eggs all being in the Amazon basket so went with ETFs as a way to spread risk. AMZN is up 69.1% in the last year, VTI up 20% and MGK is up 34.72%

I do not presently have enough to retire comfortably. However, I just purchased my Mega Millions Lottery ticket. Once I get that $850 million (Well, $600 million for the cash payout), I intend to invest it every single penny into Tesla call options.

I like to play it safe.

I do not presently have enough to retire comfortably. However, I just purchased my Mega Millions Lottery ticket. Once I get that $850 million (Well, $600 million for the cash payout), I intend to invest it every single penny into Tesla call options.

I like to play it safe.

If I had the guts I would short Tesla stock as it is vastly overvalued. But the idiocy of people could drive it even higher

Small caps and the 10year

If I had the guts I would short Tesla stock as it is vastly overvalued. But the idiocy of people could drive it even higher
Is it possible to short Bitcoin? That's a house of cards of epic proportions.

I have a handful of investments in a portfolio I built and it includes pot, medical, real estate and renewable energy. I started this portfolio a little over 3 months ago and I'm around 15% up. I was banking on the Dems winning and relaxing pot regulations and pushing renewables. Those have done quite well for me.

Last edited:
Is it possible to short Bitcoin? That's a house of cards of epic proportions.
I dunno. I put a very small amount into it at somewhere around when a bitcoin was $16,000 and then sold it after it was well over $20,000. I made like... $7 because I had so little in it. I don't trust it so l sold it. It doesn't make sense to me. It's so volatile and I can't read what makes it act the way it does which smacks of insider trading creating pump and dumps.

I dunno. I put a very small amount into it at somewhere around when a bitcoin was $16,000 and then sold it after it was well over $20,000. I made like... $7 because I had so little in it. I don't trust it so l sold it. It doesn't make sense to me. It's so volatile and I can't read what makes it act the way it does which smacks of insider trading creating pump and dumps.

How would you like to be this guy who can't remember his password.

This 10th grade drop is doing OK. I never trusted putting money into any retirement funds/accounts/plans/stocks, so I invested in property. I started out small by using my Navy pension back in 1997 which more than covered the mortgage on a 3 BR rental house and slowly built things up from there. The wife went totally opposite of me and has been a 401K hound for the past 35 years. She took a beating during the housing bubble, but it came back.

I keep saying every year that I'm going to stop driving the dump and shut down my home improvement business and retire. The wife just laughs and says..... "ya right" We have a nice home that's been paid for, and we got a nice bump at the end of 2020 from dumping two properties we no longer needed the headache of. I still keep a small 4 bay warehouse that I might sign over to my son for his business as he uses it more than I do these days. I haven't done many projects for the past year and a half, so I let a few trusted associates use my contractors license on some projects that are low drag and low risk.

The wife and I could shut everything down right now and have 4 sources of income without touching our savings, but she wants to keep working until she no longer enjoys it.

My biggest stress these days is deciding whether or not to pull the trigger on a Beneteau or Nordic Trawler/Cruiser. I'm getting to old to be scrambling over the decks of sailboats to mess with rigging.

I keep going back and forth on this one with Nordic Tug's sales guy.
boat-26-img.png

Back
Top Bottom