• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you hold any “weird” beliefs?

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
What is something that you believe that would be considered odd by most people? We’ll steer clear of religious beliefs for this particular thread.

As for me, I believe we have at least even odds of living in a computer simulation. :)

The Browns will win the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

Reincarnation. I am convinced and have been since I was 7 or 8 years old.

Does buying lottery tickets and expecting to win (a big prize) someday count?

Does buying lottery tickets and expecting to win (a big prize) someday count?

I think it is odd but most people, including my wife, seem to disagree with me.

What is something that you believe that would be considered odd by most people? We’ll steer clear of religious beliefs for this particular thread.

As for me, I believe we have at least even odds of living in a computer simulation. :)

How about "truth, justice, and the American way?"

That seems at odds with many American citizens these days. ;)

have you listened to The End of the World with Josh Clark? it's a podcast about existential risks, and it's not bad. the epilogue episode is about a simulated universe. he argues that there's a 99.9 percent chance that our universe is simulated. it's a pretty interesting topic, and would probably make a good thread. someone would ruin it with a Trump reference at around post 4, though. there's a 99.2 percent chance that person would be me, unfortunately. :lol:

have you listened to The End of the World with Josh Clark? it's a podcast about existential risks, and it's not bad. the epilogue episode is about a simulated universe. he argues that there's a 99.9 percent chance that our universe is simulated. it's a pretty interesting topic, and would probably make a good thread. someone would ruin it with a Trump reference at around post 4, though. there's a 99.2 percent chance that person would be me, unfortunately. :lol:

Yeah, when Trump was elected I “jokingly” made the comment, “well, the programmers are just f-in with us now.”

Yeah, when Trump was elected I “jokingly” made the comment, “well, the programmers are just f-in with us now.”

sGwK68P.jpg

Given that everything we perceive is but a "simulation" created in the head, I'd say it's 100%. :)

Given that everything we perceive is but a "simulation" created in the head, I'd say it's 100%. :)

Ok, but in that case we claim to know and understand the source of the simulation: human neurology. But simulation theory speaks to a higher level program/programmer that we can’t know or observe.

Ok, but in that case we claim to know and understand the source of the simulation: human neurology. But simulation theory speaks to a higher level program/programmer that we can’t know or observe.
Maybe not yet.... but maybe WE'RE the artificial intelligence that's going to someday doom those who created US!? :2razz:

If you mean in this life, then you are a very slow learner.

Indeed. I knew something was different early on. My previous life was during WWII. In fact I died in an airplane, over Europe, I think, as an American fighting in the Canadian Army. Obviously there's a great deal more to it than that. But when you are a child your parents don't want to hear that ****. LOL!

At around 7 or 8 I figured it out on my own.

Indeed. I knew something was different early on. My previous life was during WWII. In fact I died in an airplane, over Europe, I think, as an American fighting in the Canadian Army. Obviously there's a great deal more to it than that. But when you are a child your parents don't want to hear that ****. LOL!

I’m not religious but one of the most aesthetically pleasing religious interpretation of “reincarnation” is the Daoist one. That there is only one “soul” manifesting itself over and over throughout time. Basically we are all God, playing hide and seek with itself. Or something like that.

Wow!!! For a guy who died in a war

I’m not religious but one of the most aesthetically pleasing religious interpretation of “reincarnation” is the Daoist one. That there is only one “soul” manifesting itself over and over throughout time. Basically we are all God, playing hide and seek with itself. Or something like that.

I am familiar with that and I like it as well. I don't disagree. Yes, I too believe we are all God. There are no "parts" or divisions. I've always believed that. This time around anyway. ;)

Something to do with writing, I remember having dreams of huge scrolls as a three year old.
It's one of the only memories I have from that long ago and it stayed with me.
I know that I was three because one of the only other memories I have from that age is when we first moved into our new house and my mother was holding me up and showing me the back yard through the kitchen window.
I have ONE single memory from before that, a flood on our old street, and again my mother was holding me up and showing me the water rushing through the front yard in our old house.

But again, the images of those scrolls, I can see them today just as clearly as I saw them as a wee tot.
I was somehow involved with writing them or reading them.

I think that there must be a long gap between my life now and whatever my previous life had been, if there is any nugget of truth to the idea at all. I don't know if I fully believe in reincarnation but if I do, I don't necessarily believe it is entirely linear. I believe that some "souls" might remain dormant for a long time.

As the thread suggests, this is just a weird belief of mine, and I am open to the possibility that it's nothing more than that however my memories of very early childhood go well beyond the odd dreams about those scrolls, too much to go into in a debate thread. None of it is related to television either, because our TV watching was strictly limited back then, and the images were far too detailed to have come from some blurry black and white television program anyway.

Have you read The Game Is Life series?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

That’s just plain old solipsism. Yes, living in a simulation would imply a higher power but not necessarily a “god” or supernatural power. Clarke’s Third Law comes to mind.

That’s just plain old solipsism. Yes, living in a simulation would imply a higher power but not necessarily a “god” or supernatural power. Clarke’s Third Law comes to mind.

I agree, it wouldn’t imply the existence of a god or anything supernatural.

Back
Top Bottom