• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you hold any “weird” beliefs?

I have been a reincarnationist for at least 50 years. It just is.

Some buddhists believe in reincarnation, but it never made sense to me. Becoming "one" with something means merging. The next level of development would be a single mind of all minds. If that were true, then why would we retain our individuality forever? If we are all "little pieces of God" that rejoin/become one when we die, then it's possible that other pieces temporarily broken off remember the other past lives, but in reality we're all one.

My belief is like the cycle of water; there's the great ocean. Water is evaporated off the ocean and ascends into the atmosphere. Some forms clouds, some turn into individual rain drops and falls back into the ocean. Some goes over land and falls as rain drops, snowflakes, ice and may even remain for awhile but eventually all of it comes back to the ocean.

The Browns will win the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

Prior to 1 year ago, I used to 'believe' in the same thing as you, regarding the Philadelphia Eagles. I made my beliefs known to others over the years, only to be ridiculed as a crazy person, by flat-Earthers, Scientologists, Sqeaky Fromme, and the Heaven's Gate-ers even criticized my belief in an Eagles super bowl win just 3 days before they drank the poison kool-aid, and greeted the Hale-bopp spaceship!

Although I used to be super impressed by accomplishments of ancient human civilizations, now I'm actually more confused as to why humans took so long to develop technology.

have you listened to The End of the World with Josh Clark? it's a podcast about existential risks, and it's not bad. the epilogue episode is about a simulated universe. he argues that there's a 99.9 percent chance that our universe is simulated. it's a pretty interesting topic, and would probably make a good thread. someone would ruin it with a Trump reference at around post 4, though. there's a 99.2 percent chance that person would be me, unfortunately. :lol:

And who exactly is running the simulated universe? Would his name by any chance be GOD??

Just joking...

And who exactly is running the simulated universe? Would his name by any chance be GOD??

Just joking...

i'm not arguing against belief in God. i'm saying that it's interesting to consider that we might be several layers down the rabbithole of a simulated universe inside another that has vastly more computing power than we do. as for the 99.9 percent chance, it was explained pretty well in the podcast, but i have my own opinions about that part of it.

Although I used to be super impressed by accomplishments of ancient human civilizations, now I'm actually more confused as to why humans took so long to develop technology.

Maybe because they thought it wasn't important. Values change.

Some buddhists believe in reincarnation, but it never made sense to me. Becoming "one" with something means merging.

Fair enough. I am no authority but I have an answer. We don't become one. One is all there is. There is nothing to become. In fact, "one" in and of itself is incorrect. One is a comparison and thus the concept of all things being one is not possible. We can't become one or part of one.

We don't become one but we can become enlightened to the understanding that there is no "one". There are no parts. It is beyond language and words, and even thoughts limit our enlightenment.

Some Buddhists do believe in reincarnation but some do not. In the scheme of things it doesn't matter either way.

The next level of development would be a single mind of all minds. If that were true, then why would we retain our individuality forever?

We don't.

If we are all "little pieces of God" that rejoin/become one when we die, then it's possible that other pieces temporarily broken off remember the other past lives, but in reality we're all one.

That's a good question. But there are no pieces. There is no separation and nothing to rejoin.

My belief is like the cycle of water; there's the great ocean. Water is evaporated off the ocean and ascends into the atmosphere. Some forms clouds, some turn into individual rain drops and falls back into the ocean. Some goes over land and falls as rain drops, snowflakes, ice and may even remain for awhile but eventually all of it comes back to the ocean.

I agree. Water is hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen and oxygen can and do change forms but they remain hydrogen and oxygen.

Clear as mud, isn't it? :) My explanation no doubt makes it more confusing.

I don't believe that it is something we figure out or learn. We experience it and the experience and understanding is much greater than words or thoughts.

Last edited:
What is something that you believe that would be considered odd by most people? We’ll steer clear of religious beliefs for this particular thread.

As for me, I believe we have at least even odds of living in a computer simulation. :)

I don't think "stepping on cracks will break my mother's back" but I still avoid them nonetheless.

Just joking...
George Oscar Davidson

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

My best friend just sent me this pic and said it reminded him of me. :)

89019FBB-F791-49AA-9833-264738A1A934.jpg

Just realized I never really answered the OP.

Mine is more that few accept what is than a belief itself. Unicorns are and we're real. I state that in that same vein that some claim that Jesus was real, but was never a Divine/Supernatural/what have you being and legends just developed around him. Unicorns are simply one horned goats. Bred in such a way that their two horns twined around each other to make the single horn. A breeding farm out west somewhere used to breed them for circuses back when traveling circuses were big. I don't make claim that all the magical stuff in the legends are real. Just that there is a real animal that is the origin of the legends.

The intelligence of all animals from lizards and birds to cats dog and horses is way beyond conceptualization.

I used to have a superstition. When I would step on an airplane, I would discretely rub/pet the fuselage as I stepped on and whisper encouragingly ‘be a good plane!’. And then stepping off the plane at the end of the flight, I would pet it again and whisper ‘good plane!’.

It was about a year after I became an atheist that I just felt so silly continuing my bizarre nod to a very peculiar dualism that I forced myself to stop... I kid you not, on that first superstition free trip I spent the first weekend grounded due to being flown into an ice storm on a connection, and then spent an overnight in the airport on the return trip because the foreign ground crew broke the door of the airplane trying to force it shut (thud! thud! thud! as the stewardess screamed ‘stop!’). It was almost enough to make me reconsider my methodological naturalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the number 13 because so many others are stupidstitious about it.

Besides, it's a great prime number to play with. So is 43.

True enough, but 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything.

I have a history of good luck on Friday 13ths.

Since only humans make claims of gods and the supernatural, I fail to see how the programmers would be doing it. They’d just be running the simulation according to the parameters of their test or experiment.

Have you ever heard of B.F. Skinner’s superstitious pigeons?

That you know of. Perhaps there are other life forms on other planets/solar systems etc that make claims of gods and the supernatural

Maybe not yet.... but maybe WE'RE the artificial intelligence that's going to someday doom those who created US!? :2razz:

Could that mean my mortgages and margin calls...were artificial too ? If so, I want my money back.

Unless of course..that's artificial too.

Indeed. I knew something was different early on. My previous life was during WWII. In fact I died in an airplane, over Europe, I think, as an American fighting in the Canadian Army. Obviously there's a great deal more to it than that. But when you are a child your parents don't want to hear that ****. LOL!

At around 7 or 8 I figured it out on my own.

Sounds rather like a dream.

sGwK68P.jpg
Is this Chuck Schumer before he moisturizes?

Back
Top Bottom