• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you hold any “weird” beliefs?

I agree, it wouldn’t imply the existence of a god or anything supernatural.
No more than a kid with an ant farm is “god” to the ants.

OTOH, inline with the solipsism idea, there is a theory that we’re all part of the greater whole. That “god” or whatever power that be has intentionally split off parts of itself (each of us) for entertainment purposes and that “heaven” would be rejoining as part of the whole.

That’s just plain old solipsism. Yes, living in a simulation would imply a higher power but not necessarily a “god” or supernatural power. Clarke’s Third Law comes to mind.
Wouldn't the programer(s) hold that role of supernatural and god(s) relative to the simulation? Given that they control the simulation even if they no longer control the people.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't the programer(s) hold that role of supernatural and god(s) relative to the simulation? Given that they control the simulation even if they no longer control the people.

Since only humans make claims of gods and the supernatural, I fail to see how the programmers would be doing it. They’d just be running the simulation according to the parameters of their test or experiment.

Have you ever heard of B.F. Skinner’s superstitious pigeons?

Since only humans make claims of gods and the supernatural, I fail to see how the programmers would be doing it. They’d just be running the simulation according to the parameters of their test or experiment.

Have you ever heard of B.F. Skinner’s superstitious pigeons?

I said that they held the role, not that they necessarily that they make the claim. But then again, if it is a single person, maybe they are popping in to play god. I know if I could run several such simulations, I would be throwing in things at various levels of activity to see how things developed differently.

I've not heard of the pigeons before.

I said that they held the role, not that they necessarily that they make the claim. But then again, if it is a single person, maybe they are popping in to play god. I know if I could run several such simulations, I would be throwing in things at various levels of activity to see how things developed differently.

I've not heard of the pigeons before.

If like weeds in the yard, if there is one programmer, that means there are more. :)

As for BF Skinner, his pigeon experiments were watershed behavioral psychology experiments. Here is an article about the superstitious pigeons: https://io9.gizmodo.com/5746904/how-pigeons-get-to-be-superstitious

Yeah, when Trump was elected I “jokingly” made the comment, “well, the programmers are just f-in with us now.”

Mine was "Do you ever feel like we've gone about two seasons past where everyone thought the show was going to go, and now the America writers are just going nuts?"

What is something that you believe that would be considered odd by most people? We’ll steer clear of religious beliefs for this particular thread.

As for me, I believe we have at least even odds of living in a computer simulation. :)

One of my favorite movies is "The Thirteenth Floor."

Well, I believe it is impossible to time travel, even in the distant future.

Well, I believe it is impossible to time travel, even in the distant future.

Traveling into the future is certainly possible. But yeah, getting back to the past looks to be problematic.

Traveling into the future is certainly possible. But yeah, getting back to the past looks to be problematic.

To slow down your own time to a snails pace it not time travel.

I do my best to base my opinions on testable provable hypotheses, preferably ones who have already been tested many times.

Judging by much on this site, this is a strange perversion of mine.

Last edited:
I believe in the Mandella Effect. Alternate Realities bleeding into each other causing changes that some people remember, and others don't.

For one, C3P0 never had a silver leg that I recall.

It's spelled Berenstein Bears.

Jiffy Peanut Butter is the peanut butter I ate.

And Vader said, "Luke, I am your father. "

Also Forest Said,"Life is like a box of chocolates."

I do my best to base my opinions on testable provable hypotheses, preferably ones who have already been tested many times.

Judging by much on this site, this is a strange perversion of mine.

yeah, you are a real pervert...

Reincarnation. I am convinced and have been since I was 7 or 8 years old.

reincarnation.jpg

I personally am in the process of traveling to the future. I am going one day at time, and it takes me approximately 24 hours to do it.

Just curious - do you have a good example of a reincarnated person, with evidence? I've never seen any credible evidence for reincarnation.

I personally am in the process of traveling to the future. I am going one day at time, and it takes me approximately 24 hours to do it.

Good on you, man. Some people keep returning to the past and it robs them of the present.

I think many here would agree a 6th sense is real.

Yes, I do.

I guess you don't want to share. So here's my take on reincarnation:

From a Biblical standpoint, reincarnation is a false doctrine: “It is appointed for man to die ONCE, and after that to face the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27).

“The most famous case of alleged reincarnation is that of Bridey Murphy. In 1952 one Virginia Tighe was hypnotized. She reported details of a previous life in Cork, Ireland, as ‘Bridey Murphy.’ While supposedly hypnotized, she spoke in a distinct Irish accent that she did not have normally and described her life in Cork in great detail. Her case was reported as proof of reincarnation in Bernstein’s (1956) best-selling book, "The Search for Bridey Murphy." The case was thoroughly investigated several years later. It was discovered, however, that as a child, Mrs. Tighe had had a neighbor across the street who had grown up in Ireland and used to tell her stories about life there. The woman’s maiden name? You guessed it – Bridey Murphy. Further, it was revealed that Mrs. Tighe had been involved in a theater in high school and had ‘learned several Irish monologues, which she had delivered in what her former teacher referred to as a heavy Irish brogue.'” - Pseudoscience and the Paranormal, Terrance Hines

In some Hindu teachings, if a person is "bad" in the present life, they may well wind up as a protected 'temple rat" in the next life. Which begs the question: If one is a 'bad' temple rat in that life, do they further regress to a temple cockroach, with an infinite regression back to a corrupted amoeba! What's more, who was the first person on earth reincarnated from, and which power on earth or in heaven facilitates those supposed rebirths?

Reincarnation voids the necessity of Christ for salvation and eternal life. If one can simply 'live again,' then what is the need to believe in Jesus? Therefore, the idea of reincarnation is Satanic.

The Bible makes it clear that Satan has been around since before the Garden of Eden. He knows what occurred in the lives of such people as Alexander the Great, Cleopatra, Hitler, and every other person who has lived since the creation of mankind. It is certainly not a “reach” then to believe that he and / or his demonic spirits can place false memories of “prior lives” into the unregenerated minds of modern man, especially when those individuals are making an effort – such as in a seance – to establish “contact” with a former self or higher spiritual powers.

Finally, there has never been any credible evidence that I've ever seen that reincarnation exists. If anyone has some I'd like to see it.

When I was that age, I kept having dreams of myself as a male cowboy, scraggly, moving from ranch to ranch herding beef to the nearest auction house. If my brain was making up past-life memories, I would have been much happier to imagine myself as someone with a bit more importance in the world, and considerably more personal hygiene! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom