• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you have a right to stop working?

DarkWizard12

Sir Poop A lot
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Early in the labour movement, many factory went on strike across the midwest for better working conditions. While this had some success, it didn't succeed everywhere. in factories in which this failed, many people just....quit working.

and the result after the stress on businesses, and stresses on prices that customers had to deal with, was that higher wages and weekends were achieved for future workers from then on, as well as other benefits.

Probably the most recent example of this has been the "great resignation" during the pandemic, in which many minimum wage workers just quit their jobs from places like mcdonalds, dollar general, etc straining business costs until pay, for many locations, was raised to 15 dollars and hour, or even more.

other businesses offered other benefits like promotions, greater job security, better treatment, etc.

one could also point to occupy wall street, but that didn't result in much benefits, if any.

So the question for the left is, if the won't stand with truckers when they're in ottawa, will they stand with truckers if they just choose not to go to work? Maybe, if the canada gov forces them to work, they can...idk, lose their commercial driver's licenses, fail their company requalifications, stay home and not show up to work.....basically, just give the government a hard time about it, using their own systems.

no one has an obligation to drive a truck if they don't want to, and while contractual truckers do exist, most are independent freelancers. Their work starts when they arrive at the shipyard and get their delivery assignment. Any trucker can just sleep in that day and not show up.

interesting if the left recognizes such a right.

LOL, wondering if the left recognizes its own movement.

LOL, wondering if the left recognizes its own movement.
well, the left doesn't seem to think a trucker's protest is its own.

some have called to force them to work, so that businesses in canada can still recieve their goods.

Thing is, you can't force people to work if they don't want to....that's called slavery

Uhh, what? Yes we do.

some have called to force them to work, so that businesses in canada can still recieve their goods.
Ok, and? Are you personally responsible for every random ass idea that any conservative ever has? I've never once seen someone "call to force them to work," so it sounds like you're grabbing some bullshit off Twitter.

Thing is, you can't force people to work if they don't want to....that's called slavery
No shit, sherlock.

Let me clear it up for you: Yes, "the left" absolutely recognizes the right for these truckers to quit their jobs. If you're unwilling to get vaccinated to the point you are willing to quit your job over it, then quit your job over it. That's win win.

I haven't seen anyone calling for them to be forced to work. Any links?

Early in the labour movement, many factory went on strike across the midwest for better working conditions. While this had some success, it didn't succeed everywhere. in factories in which this failed, many people just....quit working.

and the result after the stress on businesses, and stresses on prices that customers had to deal with, was that higher wages and weekends were achieved for future workers from then on, as well as other benefits.

Probably the most recent example of this has been the "great resignation" during the pandemic, in which many minimum wage workers just quit their jobs from places like mcdonalds, dollar general, etc straining business costs until pay, for many locations, was raised to 15 dollars and hour, or even more.

other businesses offered other benefits like promotions, greater job security, better treatment, etc.

one could also point to occupy wall street, but that didn't result in much benefits, if any.

So the question for the left is, if the won't stand with truckers when they're in ottawa, will they stand with truckers if they just choose not to go to work? Maybe, if the canada gov forces them to work, they can...idk, lose their commercial driver's licenses, fail their company requalifications, stay home and not show up to work.....basically, just give the government a hard time about it, using their own systems.

no one has an obligation to drive a truck if they don't want to, and while contractual truckers do exist, most are independent freelancers. Their work starts when they arrive at the shipyard and get their delivery assignment. Any trucker can just sleep in that day and not show up.

If you don't mind living without assets you can always get your SSI or SSD.

You got to be smart though, the doctor may be able to tell if you're really crazy or just faking it.

Go hand out at the missions and shelter in Honolulu, SSA sends somebody by there periodically to see if there's not someone who should be getting their disability.

Do you have a right to stop working?​

Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are.

Damn right

How about those off grid peppers. They don't have jobs. But from what I have seen they work pretty hard just surviving

Lots of poor folks suck off the government teat. I want more out of life than that.

I am retired and collecting social security. But l am working every day cause l like what I do. I would be bored if all I had to do was go fishing. I like the money too!

But if you don't want to work nobody will make you.

In a 'free market'? Of course.

IMO it's fine not to work. There can be many circumstances that lead to that but sure, as long as you dont take from employer or taxpayer-funded programs. Unsure about religious charities.

Back
Top Bottom