• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you have a right to own a pet?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Do you have a right? Or should you? What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As in an explicit right granted by the Constitution? No.

Is there a law against it? For the most part... no.

(WTF are you really asking? Are you wanting to have a moral conversation on this?)

No. Looks like we are done here.

No. I think the idea of owning animals is absurd and has resulted in all sorts of harms to the animals being done.

(WTF are you really asking? Are you wanting to have a moral conversation on this?)

Yep. Moral. Sorry I meant to clarify. Should you have some distinct legal protections when owning a pet.

No. I think the idea of owning animals is absurd and has resulted in all sorts of harms to the animals being done.

I think the biggest harm to befall an animal is tasting good. From there...dogs wouldn't exist without us. They have done exceedingly well too.

Really? Is owning a dog harming it is some way?

Do you have any idea how much humans have screwed up the genetics of the animals they own? Do you know how many animals a day are fixed or get declawed?

Do you have any idea how much humans have screwed up the genetics of the animals they own? Do you know how many animals a day are fixed or get declawed?

Getting fixed or declawed are good things for animals. Cats can then live inside and be protected from the elements. They live longer as a result. And getting fixed reduces the complications that come from pregnancies, cancer, and so on.

How is getting a animal fixed or declawed screwing with it's genetics?

And honestly, I don't even have much concern for that because them getting fixed or declawed, is way better than those animals getting put to sleep.

Getting fixed or declawed are good things for animals. Cats can then live inside and be protected from the elements. They live longer as a result. And getting fixed reduces the complications that come from pregnancies, cancer, and so on.

So getting the ends of your fingers cut off is a good thing? Being stuck inside and never allowed out is again a good thing? So basically, cutting off the end of your fingers and cages are good things.

As for your other argument, come on, there is no reason to even bother with justification arguments. You know it causes the animals harm, but you want to justify it by saying, but wait, it has benefits. I have no ability to tolerate such foolishness.

How is getting a animal fixed or declawed screwing with it's genetics?

They are unrelated points.

And honestly, I don't even have much concern for that because them getting fixed or declawed, is way better than those animals getting put to sleep.

Ok?? I guess?

my two dogs would vehemently disagree as to not being allowed to be pets

as they are both spoiled beyond belief

with my wife being a chef, there are notoriously scraps left over from catering orders (a lot of them go to our dogs)

both dogs also go to doggie daycare 5 days a week....to play and romp with other dogs

between food, daycare, vets, and general visits for baths & nails....i hate to think what i spend on those two dogs annually

but what i get in return is unconditional love....and i double dog dare anyone to try and come into my house at night

between my 120 lb choc lab, and my 100 lb rottie....i guarantee there are easier places to try and rob

They are unrelated points.

Ok, so how exactly are we harming animals genetics? The only thing we've done with animals (like dogs and cats) is just domesticate them over time.

Last edited:
my two dogs would vehemently disagree as to not being allowed to be pets

Mine too. They absolutely go bonkers with happiness when any of us comes home after being gone for more than 10 minutes.
They spend hours and hours curled up in our laps at night as we wind down from the day.

I've often said if reincarnation was a thing, and I was to come back as an animal, I'd want to come back as one of our pets.

They are kept safe, warm, fed, healthy, and loved beyond all reasonable scales of measurement.

I would argue one has a right to own whatever it is they'd care to, unless there's a compelling societal reason for them to not! :cheers:

[I've got two adorable dogs I really love!]

Since he posted under 'Law & Order', rather than 'Philosophical Discussions', it would seem to be a discussion in terms of legality.

My take on it, anyway ...

Ehh, I don't know.
What I do know is that there are a lot of ****ty owners/former owners.
My biggest complaint is those that let their pets run wild.

Maybe on some remote land, but in neighborhoods, next to roads, etc, deserves at least a fine, if not some type of restriction on ownership.

Ok, so how exactly are we harming animals genetics? The only thing we've done with animals (like dogs and cats) is just domesticate them over time.

To be fair, we have selectively bred dogs for all sorts of reasons, which is definitely genetic alteration. We have inserted colorful genes into fish. We bob tails and ears. We definitely can be accused of unnecessarily messing with animals in order to domesticate them. That being said, I'm not supporting the claim that our influence is always detrimental. I think most domesticated pets have it much better than their wild counterparts. But not all. Most humans prefer to sit on the couch and have food brought to them, why would other animals be any different?

Define pet.

We talking dogs & cats? Fish? Lizard? Snake? Rat? Hamster? Cricket? Spider?
Larger cats? Horses? Rabbits?

What about a pet monkey? That didn't end well for one lady not long ago did it?

What about wild animals? Squirrels? Raccoons? Ducks?

It's illegal to own plenty of animals as pets. Endangered species come to mind. Plenty of exotic animals.

Remember the little painted turtles you could buy in the pet stores with the see-through plastic container you could fill with water. Had a little island in the center with a plastic palm tree. Can't have those anymore.

So what exactly are we talking about here?

To be fair, we have selectively bred dogs for all sorts of reasons, which is definitely genetic alteration. We have inserted colorful genes into fish. We bob tails and ears. We definitely can be accused of unnecessarily messing with animals in order to domesticate them. That being said, I'm not supporting the claim that our influence is always detrimental. I think most domesticated pets have it much better than their wild counterparts. But not all. Most humans prefer to sit on the couch and have food brought to them, why would other animals be any different?

I can agree with that.

This statement is absurd, as it is bad owners - not the fact that owners exist - that cause harm.

My cat just finished her lunch, curled up on my lap, and started purring. She follows me around all day (I work out of a home office). She'll sleep on the bed. She is decidedly not being "harmed".

With rights comes responsibilities and owning a pet is no exception.

Yep. Moral. Sorry I meant to clarify. Should you have some distinct legal protections when owning a pet.

That water has already passed under the bridge - the right has been granted by the ADA. All you have to do is say that the animal is a service animal. You don't need paperwork, licensing or any medical condition, you just need to say it's so and landlords, store owners and the like have to take you at your word. They can't even question it.

Back
Top Bottom