• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you have a right to own a pet?

including poor behaviour that may lead to it's destruction and the increased number of animals bred since there are clearly many people who take pets in only to release them to a hellish survival and early death
Fix - To restore to proper condition or working order; repair

Go ahead and tell me what is broken with the testicles of a healthy male puppy.
it was your word not mine

and while it may increase their risk to certain health conditions that is more than balanced by the health conditions that it prevents
That is just empty rationalizing.
it is most definitely rational and most definitely not empty

and I linked it for you with testimony from two experts in the industry but it is a known given for any responsible person owned by a pet

including poor behaviour that may lead to it's destruction and the increased number of animals bred since there are clearly many people who take pets in only to release them to a hellish survival and early death
That literally applies to all mammals.

I agree with you here

Getting fixed or declawed are good things for animals. Cats can then live inside and be protected from the elements. They live longer as a result. And getting fixed reduces the complications that come from pregnancies, cancer, and so on.

Declawing is not good for cats. It's the equivalent to amputating our fingers at the outside joint. There is no need for it and more and more vets are refusing to do it. In some places, it is illegal.

I agree about spaying/neutering, though.

Do you have a right? Or should you? What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On your own property? Yes, unless you have been legally forbidden to have pets/animals.

In a rented house? Yes, unless the landlord has a very good reason for banning it.

In a rented apartment or a bought apartment? Only if the lease or the home owners by-laws allow it (depending on rent or ownership).

But it also depends on the kind of animal. Because I doubt there is any reason at all to ban someone from owning fish in a bowl or aquarium (unless you plan to have a fish tank of thousands of gallons in a flat, on any level except the ground level ;))

20b174ef-70bb-4689-bce2-54fcfa91281f.jpg

2b9586da-5c10-447d-bddb-55e1cf4eff1b.jpg

I don't have cats so I don't know but declawing cats does seem cruel and I've heard the recovery is pretty painful.

my cat was quite rough to play with, so he put holes in my arm that made people confuse me with a heroin addict. I also came back twice and saw him stuck high up on a screen he jumped into (which he did cause of birds)

i can see reasons other than cruelty

my cat was quite rough to play with, so he put holes in my arm that made people confuse me with a heroin addict. I also came back twice and saw him stuck high up on a screen he jumped into (which he did cause of birds)

Oh, I don't think people have it done to be cruel at all.

I have to wonder if society lacks the ability to rationally understand harm. Castration is clearly a harm by the fact that it causes hormonal and functionality changes, but I'm going to guess that isn't good enough for you. Ok, what about the increase risk of bone, urinary tract, and prostate cancer, increased risk of obesity, increased risk of hip dysplasia, increased risk hemangiosarcoma, a higher instance of cranial cruciate ligament rupture, increased risk of lymphoma, an increased risk urinary tract disease, an increase in kidney stones, and an increased instance of urethral sphincter incontinence. Should I go on?

Haven't read the entire thread but the alternative of having hordes of dogs and cats overrunning cities and towns and starving, being run over etc etc seems worse.

No. Looks like we are done here.

but the federal government has no power to involve itself in this area unless it means someone is keeping a protected species in violation of CITES etc.

Yup, concerns over the furniture, children, themselves and other pets in the house is common.

Depends what the pet is.

A pet frog? I dunno.

A pet rock? Sure, I guess.

A pet Playboy Playmate? Unfortunately NO.

Rights are generally defined as activities which do not cause others to give anything up or experience interference with their own activities. So, yes, owning a dog is a natural right. That is not say it is a legal right.

Being owned by a human is the natural life of a dog. They were bred from early wolves to provide companionship to humans in return for food and care. Without humans, dogs would likely go extinct before they could evolve into something else. So not only is it a right but it is natural.

Back
Top Bottom