• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you have a right to own a pet?

No. I think the idea of owning animals is absurd and has resulted in all sorts of harms to the animals being done.

Dogs and apparently cats came to US. We didn't go catch them and tame them.

I worry that they'll just go get new dogs.

One of their dogs died (it was pretty old) and they had a replacement within the week.

I was thinking of building them a doghouse.

Please do something pards. I hate seeing animals abused like that. My wife and I were volunteers at the local SPCA for 20+ years. I have seen it all.

I just hate small yappy dogs. They have tiny brains and bark neurotically anytime something moves. In high density areas, these dogs are a real nuisance. They also get tired when you walk them or wimp out in bad weather, then you have to carry them home (from what I've seen).

Bad owners are worse than bad dogs though.

Please do something pards. I hate seeing animals abused like that. My wife and I were volunteers at the local SPCA for 20+ years. I have seen it all.

I'm sensitive to the idea of starting a war with my neighbors. I'm also worried that putting them up for adoption could be a death sentence.

I am a strong proponent to working with neighbors who i have a problem with.

We're on course to having another snowstorm this weekend. They let us take their dogs on a walk with our own dogs- if it gets cold, maybe we'll walk them into our warm house for a while.

So getting the ends of your fingers cut off is a good thing? Being stuck inside and never allowed out is again a good thing? So basically, cutting off the end of your fingers and cages are good things.

As for your other argument, come on, there is no reason to even bother with justification arguments. You know it causes the animals harm, but you want to justify it by saying, but wait, it has benefits. I have no ability to tolerate such foolishness.

Spaying and neutering do no harm...they prevent some diseases and animals spayed or neutered generally live longer.

The oddness never ends with you. It's like how you believe it harms minors, somehow, if their organs are donated (after they die) without their consent, just the parents'.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I feel it should be pointed out for the benefit of you and your pets that the behavior you are seeing is associated with separation anxiety issues that animals can suffer from.

Also false. The large majority of dogs dont have separation anxiety yet nearly all are very happy when owners return. Dogs feel happiness and sadness and guilt, among other things and they arent 'disorders.'

You have very limited knowlege of this subject it seems, yet are liberal with the statements.

Spaying and neutering do no harm...they prevent some diseases and animals spayed or neutered generally live longer.

Lol, how can you fix an animal and not harm it? Jesus people.

I just hate small yappy dogs. They have tiny brains and bark neurotically anytime something moves. In high density areas, these dogs are a real nuisance. They also get tired when you walk them or wimp out in bad weather, then you have to carry them home (from what I've seen).

Bad owners are worse than bad dogs though.

I'm a big fan of Cesar Millan, the dog whisperer. He believes that there are not good or bad dogs, but there are good and bad owners. In his mind, his job is not to train the dog, but to train the owner.

He says that dogs need exercise, discipline, and affection- in that order.

Personally, my impression is that the reason many American's small dogs are yappy/out of control is because of the owners. When a big dog barks all the time, or walks all over people, or jumps on people- it's a big disruption, so the owner is more likely to control the behavior.

So i think small dogs have a bad reputation because the owners are less willing to give proper exercise or discipline to their dogs. Discipline here doesn't mean beating the dog, it means providing calm, consistent boundaries. The reason those little dogs bark out of control is that the owner is failing to correct the behavior.

I know because i used to think the same thing about little dogs. Then we started foster caring for little dogs. Got three little ones. Well, one wouldn't get adopted, and each adoption event was getting more emotional for me because i was worried i wouldn't see the little guy again. We decided to adopt him ourselves.

And he is NOT a yappy, obnoxious little dog.

Also false. The large majority of dogs dont have separation anxiety yet nearly all are very happy when owners return. Dogs feel happiness and sadness and guilt, among other things and they arent 'disorders.'

You have very limited knowlege of this subject it seems, yet are liberal with the statements.

:roll:

Look at the time frame he mentioned and the amount of attention the dogs regularly require.

Lol, how can you fix an animal and not harm it? Jesus people.

Fixed animals are calmer, fight less, and live longer in general. Both sexes.

:roll:

Look at the time frame he mentioned and the amount of attention the dogs regularly require.

So? Most are just fine.

I adopted a dog with sep. anxiety...so I got another dog. She was then secure and happy.

Fixed animals are calmer, fight less, and live longer in general. Both sexes.

Do you think human males would live longer, be calmer and fight less if they were castrated when young?

Btw, the answer to all of these questions is yes.

Last edited:
So? Most are just fine.

So he said they freak out when they are gone for more than ten minutes and they need to be on their lap a good amount of time.

Do you think human males would live longer, be calmer and fight less if they were castrated when young?

Probably. Neutering males and removing so much testosterone does that. Are you questioning that? LOL

It works for ALL other male mammals that I'm aware of...you think men are different?

Probably. Neutering males and removing so much testosterone does that. Are you questioning that? LOL

It works for ALL other male mammals that I'm aware of...you think men are different?

It's not a probably, but a yes. What I'm curious about is if you would recommend human males be castrated for the same benefits that you listed. Of course, this would have to be done when they are really young to maximum the returns.

love

it's about love, and sharing and caring and companionship

I have had pets my whole life, all of which were rescues...how could one even question helping another being on this earth, where there is need, it should be filled

my animals have always chosen me, it is a bond that can not be broken

I have no apologies for that

It's not a probably, but a yes. What I'm curious about is if you would recommend human males be castrated for the same benefits that you listed. Of course, this would have to be done when they are really young to maximum the returns.

People have rights. There is a huge difference and it is not a subject I intend to go out on a tangent on. Suffice it to say that in the recent thread re: vasectomies being harmful...that is total bull**** as it only keeps a man from reproducing **which is what he wants...a positive thing.** If it's someone's opinion that not being able to reproduce is harm...that is no more than just that...an opinion. Not reproducing has many positive aspects.

(oh, and yes, it's 'yes.')

No.

My neighbor leaves their three little dogs outside, even in the snow, every day.

Greetings, Absentglare. :2wave:

Unless those little dogs have a heated pet house, that is animal cruelty where I live, and the police would be called! Dogs are warm-blooded beings, and they suffer from cold just like humans, and treating them so callously is wrong! :thumbdown:

People have rights. There is a huge difference and it is not a subject I intend to go out on a tangent on. Suffice it to say that in the recent thread re: vasectomies being harmful...that is total bull**** as it only keeps a man from reproducing **which is what he wants...a positive thing.** If it's someone's opinion that not being able to reproduce is harm...that is no more than just that...an opinion. Not reproducing has many positive aspects.

(oh, and yes, it's 'yes.')

What makes this all enjoyable for me is that you were being dishonest right from the start. You knew right when you made that post that it was crap, and you showed this was the case when you admitted that I was in fact right with by simple and yet short counter argument. What makes it funny is that now you are returning with another dishonest argument about rights. You and I both know that you believe rights is an artificial construct, and if that is true, then they can't be used in a discussion about objective reality. The only reason you even brought it up is that you know you're screwed here and you need an out for your failure.

Oh and btw, yes, vasectomies are objectively harmful.

46eb4249-b38b-4eeb-9e54-461584dc5e34.jpg

Not sure what the "right" part is in the OP. But it's a good question, should we take in pets to live with us? I think we have some sensible restrictions..wild animals, exotics, etc., are regulated. Domesticated pets..we allow them depending on state/city, under certain conditions. I think where I live you can max have 4 dogs? Not sure, I've only ever had 0 or 1. Puts one in mind of Blackfish about the orcas. Dogs and cats have lived alongside humans for thousands of years, bred specifically for it, etc. The idea that in most cases its some travesty seems absurd.

Getting fixed or declawed are good things for animals. Cats can then live inside and be protected from the elements. They live longer as a result. And getting fixed reduces the complications that come from pregnancies, cancer, and so on.

Castrating an animal absent medical necessity is definitely not good for the animal.

It is of course justifiable, since it's just an animal, but saying it's good for the animal is absurd.

I worry that they'll just go get new dogs.

One of their dogs died (it was pretty old) and they had a replacement within the week.

I was thinking of building them a doghouse.

Actually what they are doing may be a criminal offense.

Not sure what the "right" part is in the OP. But it's a good question, should we take in pets to live with us? I think we have some sensible restrictions..wild animals, exotics, etc., are regulated. Domesticated pets..we allow them depending on state/city, under certain conditions. I think where I live you can max have 4 dogs? Not sure, I've only ever had 0 or 1. Puts one in mind of Blackfish about the orcas. Dogs and cats have lived alongside humans for thousands of years, bred specifically for it, etc. The idea that in most cases its some travesty seems absurd.

Dogs definitely came to us. Beta types with no place in packs started hanging around our scrap heaps. Started breeding, reinforcing the docility. Then our weakness for "baby cuteness" made us take in puppies.

The dog has the most malleable DNA of any animal.

Almost as if they were made for us.

Back
Top Bottom