• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you have a fag?

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
While I was walking today, a twentysomething male stopped and asked me that question. I answered no. He then reminded me that the word "fag" in the U.K. refers to a cigarette. (I had faintly known that.)

Some words have a different meaning in both countries. If we say that "Mona is quite beautiful," that is a compliment. In England, it might mean that she is fairly beautiful but nothing to rave about.

While I was walking today, a twentysomething male stopped and asked me that question. I answered no. He then reminded me that the word "fag" in the U.K. refers to a cigarette. (I had faintly known that.)

Some words have a different meaning in both countries. If we say that "Mona is quite beautiful," that is a compliment. In England, it might mean that she is fairly beautiful but nothing to rave about.
Soo very many examples for you to choose from to make this incredibly obvious point our middle school children grasped by 7th grade. Are you looking for attention from us today, or making a point to moderators enforcing a no slur policy?

‘England and America are two countries separated by a common language.’
-George Bernard Shaw (We think)

Where you looking for an excuse to write "fag"?

A friend's 90 plus year old mother told us to keep our peckers up 😆
I faintly remember reading something about that, so I googled it and discovered that some Brits use that expression to mean keep your courage up!

I faintly remember reading something about that, so I googled it and discovered that some Brits use that expression to mean keep your courage up!
Awesome lady who lived through the bombing of London and married an American hero of WW2.

Talking fags, English Public (private) residential schools used to have a system where the junior kids essentially acted as manservant/slave to a senior student. The servant was a "fag". Given the reputation of the products of the system, maybe that is the origin of the homosexual slur!

Back
Top Bottom