• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you have a diet style?

What are your dietary habits?

• Anything I feel like eating, no style per se

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Vegetarian

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Vegan*

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Commercial diet (like Weight Watchers)

• Carnivore (if the BBQ flame didn't touch it, it ain't fit)

• Fast food junkie

• Mediterranean

• Traditional American (meat, starch & veggies)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Small portions

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
How do you eat generally speaking? You can choose more than 1 if you have two or more dietary habits.

*"These dishes are vegan, everything else is delicious" -Line in a movie I saw

I have worked intimately with dieticians as a dietary manager in long term care settings. I have succeeded at accomplishing my nutritional goals using a diet ( no concentrated sweet/ 3-4 grams of sodium restricted), but I eventually concluded that the benefit I sought, was simply not as important as my liberty from its chains. I don't drink, don't take drugs, and do not engage in self harm or promiscuous behavior that might endanger my health. My doctor has a very good patient. I eat whatever I want, and my idea of exercise is doing whatever is needed to work an 8 hour day, and keep my house relatively clean. My doctor has a very bad patient.

I hope that last thing I eat before my stroke or heart attack, is a home cooked quarter pound bacon cheese burger medium rare, and a chocolate malt milk shake with real whip topping and a maraschino cherry soaked in syrup and red dye sitting on top.

Last edited:
How do you eat generally speaking? You can choose more than 1 if you have two or more dietary habits.

My style is see food, eat food. It works fairly well, as long as I do not eat too much food.

I do avoid super sweet crap like processed donuts and cakes and stuff. I prefer oatmeal cookies made with banana sweetener and a few dark choc chips and pecans baked in them. I almost never eat white bread. And, you'd have to tie me down to get liver into me. BUt, that's about the end of the list of no-go foods.

I should have added a couple more that seem to be popular: whole foods (nothing processed) and DASH (recommended for heart disease/diabetes prevention).

I voted vegetarian. It's typically a healthy diet, but I have to admit it's been shite, lately. I need to eat more vegetables (go figure), and cut back on the whiskey (like, a lot).

Seafood. I see food, I eat it.

But seriously. I try to avoid highly processed foods but could do better with portion control.

That is my style:​

Anything I feel like eating, no style per se​

I have worked intimately with dieticians as a dietary manager in long term care settings. I have succeeded at accomplishing my nutritional goals using a diet ( no concentrated sweet/ 3-4 grams of sodium restricted), but I eventually concluded that the benefit I sought, was simply not as important as my liberty from its chains. I don't drink, don't take drugs, and do not engage in self harm or promiscuous behavior that might endanger my health. My doctor has a very good patient. I eat whatever I want, and my idea of exercise is doing whatever is needed to work an 8 hour day, and keep my house relatively clean. My doctor has a very bad patient.

I hope that last thing I eat before my stroke or heart attack, is a home cooked quarter pound bacon cheese burger medium rare, and a chocolate malt milk shake with real whip topping and a maraschino cherry soaked in syrup and red dye sitting on top.

You forgot the home-cooked fries!

Nice post, though.

Mostly paleo because it works with my food sensitivities and its getting more and more popular at restaurants.

3 out of 4 go for this: Anything I feel like eating, no style per se

Surely there are more?

3 out of 4 go for this: Anything I feel like eating, no style per se

Surely there are more?
Very few votes so too small a sample size.

I definitely have a different diet in summer than in winter. Today's lunch consists of cucumber salad with tomato and a bowl of fresh fruit. In winter, I'd be ordering a pizza.

I definitely have a different diet in summer than in winter. Today's lunch consists of cucumber salad with tomato and a bowl of fresh fruit. In winter, I'd be ordering a pizza.
Light meals in the summer is my thing too, except when the BBQ gets going.

Seems voting closed quite a long time ago. From 8th grade to about mid-junior year in college, I ran/lifted. Wrestling/football in HS. But then I lazily stopped and by the time the end of senior year rolled around, I was around 195lb and 6 ft. I saw the writing on the wall. Change it, or 10, 20 years down the road.....not so great. I'd definitely be obese by now if I'd kept up that diet and malaise.

So I introduced these:

- No soda; no caloric drinks other than those containing booze, milk, vegetable juices (and I am not a "juicer")
- No deserts, though guests that bring things usually beg me to try.
- Minimal processed carbs, as much as possible. (ie, pasta dishes are usually a mix of red lentil and edamame pastas.... tons of protein and fiber, especially the edamame or black bean kinds)

I also generally cleaned up on other fronts, since I went straight from college to law school and certain things *cough* are not entirely compatible.....at least not with how hard I ended up pushing myself. So I dropped that stuff from the diet permanently and resumed running and lifting with a fury. I've kept it up over the decades. It worked. Once I hadn't had the things I dropped for a month or so, I didn't want them. In fact, they taste nasty most of the time. (Same thing happened with cigarettes, which I also dropped simultaneously with everything else).

Other than that, anything I please. I have something else going in my favor: if I stuff myself, I actually feel bad. As in, fast light heartbeat for an hour and this cloud of anxiety. Just....not worth it.

The one thing many people do not seem to want to let themselves understand: a temporary diet only works if your goal is to lose 30 lbs so you can appear in a movie. The foolishness of the idea of dieting to lose weight then going back to normal seems head-slappingly idiotic, but it seems to be what happens with most people. "Oh, I've been on so many diets, but the weight came back after." Yeah, well, the only diet that's going to work is a permanent one.

You have to give things up. You really should move more as well. Don't let anyone tell you willpower is irrelevant. It is. It's just that the longer you let things slip, the harder and longer you'll have to struggle. Some need gastric bypass. But it's more than possible.

...life....

Just had a small bowl of homemade "ice cream," a tasty dish made from frozen ripe bananas, some peanut butter and a few flakes of dark chocolate.

Seems voting closed quite a long time ago. From 8th grade to about mid-junior year in college, I ran/lifted. Wrestling/football in HS. But then I lazily stopped and by the time the end of senior year rolled around, I was around 195lb and 6 ft. I saw the writing on the wall. Change it, or 10, 20 years down the road.....not so great. I'd definitely be obese by now if I'd kept up that diet and malaise.

So I introduced these:

- No soda; no caloric drinks other than those containing booze, milk, vegetable juices (and I am not a "juicer")
- No deserts, though guests that bring things usually beg me to try.
- Minimal processed carbs, as much as possible. (ie, pasta dishes are usually a mix of red lentil and edamame pastas.... tons of protein and fiber, especially the edamame or black bean kinds)

I also generally cleaned up on other fronts, since I went straight from college to law school and certain things *cough* are not entirely compatible.....at least not with how hard I ended up pushing myself. So I dropped that stuff from the diet permanently and resumed running and lifting with a fury. I've kept it up over the decades. It worked. Once I hadn't had the things I dropped for a month or so, I didn't want them. In fact, they taste nasty most of the time. (Same thing happened with cigarettes, which I also dropped simultaneously with everything else).

Other than that, anything I please. I have something else going in my favor: if I stuff myself, I actually feel bad. As in, fast light heartbeat for an hour and this cloud of anxiety. Just....not worth it.

The one thing many people do not seem to want to let themselves understand: a temporary diet only works if your goal is to lose 30 lbs so you can appear in a movie. The foolishness of the idea of dieting to lose weight then going back to normal seems head-slappingly idiotic, but it seems to be what happens with most people. "Oh, I've been on so many diets, but the weight came back after." Yeah, well, the only diet that's going to work is a permanent one.

You have to give things up. You really should move more as well. Don't let anyone tell you willpower is irrelevant. It is. It's just that the longer you let things slip, the harder and longer you'll have to struggle. Some need gastric bypass. But it's more than possible.

...life....

It's true. Diets are not permanent. The only thing that actually works is a life style change.

I eat very little meat though i have nothing against it. Lots of fruit and veggies and whole grain bread.

****here is my guilty pleasure and please keep it a secret. I think a Tastykake 4 oz chocolate eclair pie is totally yum!! They are to die for.

Back
Top Bottom