• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do You Have a DECENT Barber?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I have lived in Olympia since 04, during that time I have tried about 20 different places, but found not a single good one in the bunch. The Korean clipper ladies smell like kimchi and dont even try to make convo as they skim my scalp with their clipper/vacuum units on the way to completing their 5 min cuts. The non-koreans are even worse.....the shops tend to be dumps and the cuts terrible, though I do tend to get conversation attempts. The last OK Barber I has was in Sierra Vista AZ, an ex-con (murder) who always had preachers in the TV, but he was a nice guy and could cut hair. The last really good Barber was in Monterey (early-mid 1990's), a real old timer italian (About ready to retire) who was super, and charged super but that was OK.

I would pay $25 or so per cut to the right person, but all I find are crap $10 barbers.

What gives? Any ideas?

Am I the only guy who is willing to pay for quality?

Thanks in advance.

It's because folks don't want to go into career that requires school, but pays less than waiting tables.

I have lived in Olympia since 04, during that time I have tried about 20 different places, but found not a single good one in the bunch. The Korean clipper ladies smell like kimchi and dont even try to make convo as they skim my scalp with their clipper/vacuum units on the way to completing their 5 min cuts. The non-koreans are even worse.....the shops tend to be dumps and the cuts terrible, though I do tend to get conversation attempts. The last OK Barber I has was in Sierra Vista AZ, an ex-con (murder) who always had preachers in the TV, but he was a nice guy and could cut hair. The last really good Barber was in Monterey (early-mid 1990's), a real old timer italian (About ready to retire) who was super, and charged super but that was OK.

I would pay $25 or so per cut to the right person, but all I find are crap $10 barbers.

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Right now no. but I haven't cut my hair in about 9 months.. my last attempt at longer hair before I really get the grey coming in. it prob wont last long.
But anyway back to the point. in my 20s I was very picky about the hair I had long hair then. I did go out with a girl a few times who was at a school.
She talked me into going there and honestly that worked out great. The gals there loved my hair and as this girl was trimming it over came the owner of the cosmetology academy she was going to and he kinda ended up pushing her aside and trimming my hair personally. and I was pretty happy with it. they always seem to want to trim off a lot but he didn't.
My point is maybe try a school like that as they are carefully supervised and maybe you find one you like. They generally charge very little. since you haven't found anything else nothing to lose.

Years ago I found an old style barber shop, complete with pole. Unfortunately over the years all but one of the barbers there have died. My son in law and grandson still go there. I'm busy growing my hair down to my knees. I suppose you could get one of these:

flowbee-hair.jpg

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I bought me a set of clippers and guards about 30 years ago, and haven't been to a barber since. I'm on my third set of clippers and second set of guards. Each clipper cost me about $60 to $85, and lasted me ~10 years each.

If I roll my window down on my truck, while driving on the interstate at 70-75 mph, and if my hair moves - it's too long.

Right now no. but I haven't cut my hair in about 9 months.. my last attempt at longer hair before I really get the grey coming in. it prob wont last long.
But anyway back to the point. in my 20s I was very picky about the hair I had long hair then. I did go out with a girl a few times who was at a school.
She talked me into going there and honestly that worked out great. The gals there loved my hair and as this girl was trimming it over came the owner of the cosmetology academy she was going to and he kinda ended up pushing her aside and trimming my hair personally. and I was pretty happy with it. they always seem to want to trim off a lot but he didn't.
My point is maybe try a school like that as they are carefully supervised and maybe you find one you like. They generally charge very little. since you haven't found anything else nothing to lose.

Maybe, But I am not sure we have one. Tacoma has a big one but 5 (I-5, nobody from here calls it that) around here is one of the worst congested interstates in the country, and because of FT Lewis a big stretch has zero alt routing, so I would need to be super motivated to spend sometimes over an hour one way to get to Tacoma for a haircut. There is a place in Tacoma that is doing $30ish cuts and is trying to be what I want, but I am told that they have had staff issues the last two years and suck a lot of the time now. I am NOT spending maybe 2-4 hours to spend $30 for a bad cut and bad experience, not me.

I bought me a set of clippers and guards about 30 years ago, and haven't been to a barber since. I'm on my third set of clippers and second set of guards. Each clipper cost me about $60 to $85, and lasted me ~10 years each.

If I roll my window down on my truck, while driving on the interstate at 70-75 mph, and if my hair moves - it's too long.

Ya, for what I get I could save 90% of my money and get the same result. But here is the thing, my mom cut my hair with clippers, really badly, and would not listen to me AT ALL. I looked like a freak and I knew it. I was bullied a lot and by stupid haircut was always part of it (the clothes she made me wear too), I promised myself that once I got a job and could pay a barber never in my life again would my head be sheared at home (which I did summer before 5th grade, got a big paper route. I went to Matt the Country Barber for awesome cuts and conversation (nudie mags in the cabinet under the coffee pot, old old time Coke machine (little bottles)). I bought my own clothes after that too, with my mom, mom insisted that was the way it had to be) .

See the problem?

No.

Note:Thanks for participating!
:thumbs:

Last edited:
Maybe, But I am not sure we have one. Tacoma has a big one but 5 (I-5, nobody from here calls it that) around here is one of the worst congested interstates in the country, and because of FT Lewis a big stretch has zero alt routing, so I would need to be super motivated to spend sometimes over an hour one way to get to Tacoma for a haircut. There is a place in Tacoma that is doing $30ish cuts and is trying to be what I want, but I am told that they have had staff issues the last two years and suck a lot of the time now. I am NOT spending maybe 2-4 hours to spend $30 for a bad cut and bad experience, not me.

Yea I was up in Redmond about 18 months ago ( do some contract work for msoft ) navigating that area it was kinda bad although at least the roads are in good condition.

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

You need to go to Vancouver, to Commercial Drive, for those Italian barbers. Tailors, too, if you like silk and thin lapels and shoes with paper-thin soles.
My wife gives me my semi-annual haircuts with a number 1 shield on the electric clipper so take my advice for what it's worth.

It's because folks don't want to go into career that requires school, but pays less than waiting tables.

Waitresses make about 3 times what cooks make per hour, so that is off. And we have barbers that get what ever kind of permit they need, I dont know what the law is here, we have TONS of barbershops, Just cant seem to locate a good one. And I wonder why. Is it cheapness? Is it cultural? Is it that men are fine with so-so to poor cuts and bad customer service? Do men now not want to have barber shop conversations and a meeting of men?

Serious questions here.....

You need to go to Vancouver, to Commercial Drive, for those Italian barbers. Tailors, too, if you like silk and thin lapels and shoes with paper-thin soles.
My wife gives me my semi-annual haircuts with a number 1 shield on the electric clipper so take my advice for what it's worth.

It's been a while since you've been here. There hasn't been any Italian barbers, Italian restaurants or Italian anything along Commercial drive in more than a decade. Commercial Drive has become for the Lesbian/Transgendered what the West End was for gays.

If you want a great suit at reasonable prices you go to "the other Chinatown" upper Victoria Dr. You want a decent haircut you either pay for the "atmosphere" at around $40 a head, or you take a chance on a blind guy.

I quit cutting my hair when my home buzzer quit working. Don't shave either. Screw it, you can do anything you like after 65.

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The only good barbers I have found were next to military posts. This is because they have high volume due to the militaries strict hair requirements, so people cutting hair can actually make a killing and accell at it. Outside military areas, the money is lackluster, and anyone who puts that effort into being a barber for crap wages would rather put the effort into another profession.

I just got back from one...damn....its very very very short.

Now it only feels like its 106 degrees out there.

The only good barbers I have found were next to military posts. This is because they have high volume due to the militaries strict hair requirements, so people cutting hair can actually make a killing and accell at it. Outside military areas, the money is lackluster, and anyone who puts that effort into being a barber for crap wages would rather put the effort into another profession.

There are tons of military in my town. When I first got here in 04 I found one that was not too bad, but then less than two years later I stopped because I and my kid both had a really bad cut. The staff had changed, owner did not want to pay up.

I went to Okie's for a couple of years for kimchi cuts, at least there I get a hot towel on the neck and a mini massage, but then they started adding a $2 fee for debt card and I was out of there. THe cuts were not that good anyways. Nor anything else but the magazines and the waiting chairs.

I got a kimchi cut today and the woman whined loudly that I wanted to use a debit card, which is why this subject is on my mind.

:boohoo:

Last edited:
There are tons of military in my town. When I first got here in 04 I found one that was not too bad, but then less than two years later I stopped because I and my kid both had a really bad cut. The staff had changed, owner did not want to pay up.

I went to Okie's for a couple of years too for a kimchi cut, at least there I get a hot towel on the neck and a mini massage, but then they started adding a $2 fee for debt card and I was put. THe cuts were not that good anyways. Nor anything else but the magazines and the waiting chairs.

I got a kimchi cut today and the woman whined loudly that I wanted to use a debit card, which is why this subject is on my mind.

:boohoo:

Then do like me and shave your head bald once a month, costs 10 dollars for a cheap hair trimmer set at walmart, then you can buy any damn wig you want, today you can have a hipster hairdo, tomorrow the joe dirt mullet.

Then do like me and shave your head bald once a month, costs 10 dollars for a cheap hair trimmer set at walmart, then you can buy any damn wig you want, today you can have a hipster hairdo, tomorrow the joe dirt mullet.

Been seriously considering that...the shaving part.

I think I would be as hot as Kojak.

Maybe I need a sucker.

:2dance:

Last edited:

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

This may feel uncomfortable for you at first, but try a salon. There are actually lots of guys that get their hair cut at salons and I used to not only because my mom always worked at one as I was growing up, but also because most women know what looks good on a guy, and there aren't a lot of women barbers.

With that said, we have a new barber shop in town here that is excellent, so we're blessed that way. Two cool guys in their 30's who started out maybe a year ago and already have all the business they can handle. If they weren't here, I'd probably be going to a salon.

This may feel uncomfortable for you at first, but try a salon. There are actually lots of guys that get their hair cut at salons and I used to not only because my mom always worked at one as I was growing up, but also because most women know what looks good on a guy, and there aren't a lot of women barbers.

With that said, we have a new barber shop in town here that is excellent, so we're blessed that way. Two cool guys in their 30's who started out maybe a year ago and already have all the business they can handle. If they weren't here, I'd probably be going to a salon.

See this is what I am wondering, if "build it and they will come" applies to a good barbershop.

But it does not usually happen.

so what does that say?

:thinking

Last edited:
It's been a while since you've been here. There hasn't been any Italian barbers, Italian restaurants or Italian anything along Commercial drive in more than a decade. Commercial Drive has become for the Lesbian/Transgendered what the West End was for gays.

If you want a great suit at reasonable prices you go to "the other Chinatown" upper Victoria Dr. You want a decent haircut you either pay for the "atmosphere" at around $40 a head, or you take a chance on a blind guy.

I quit cutting my hair when my home buzzer quit working. Don't shave either. Screw it, you can do anything you like after 65.

Yeah, it's been awhile. I used to go down to the Drive when the right teams were playing in UEFA Champions League. Much as I hated the diving and histrionics of AC Milan or Inter, the atmosphere in the bistros when they were playing was amazing.
Don't tell me that those Italian delis with the chalkboard olive menus and paper-thin prosciutto have disappeared. I'll deny what you're telling me and never go back in case you're right.
I've got three years to go 'till 65 but maybe I'll start the hair and beard thing now. We'll look like those two prisoners with their heads through the windows in 'Papillon'.

See this is what I am wondering, if "build it and they will come" applies to a good barbershop.

But it does not usually happen, so what does that say?

:thinking

It sounds like a great opportunity for a good barber to start a business and put those other bums out of business. I think most folks tolerate mediocrity or even worse until something really good comes along, which is why the current crop are surviving.

It sounds like a great opportunity for a good barber to start a business and put those other bums out of business. I think most folks tolerate mediocrity or even worse until something really good comes along, which is why the current crop are surviving.

Ya, for sure a part of this is that we are overwhelmed with too many choices needing to be made and not enough time, that this is a path of least resistance problem. That means people dont want have to put out socially at the barbershop, that they WANT the so-so kimchi cut with as little yaking as possible...."just give me mags and a tv". ....JUST DONT MAKE ME THINK TOO MUCH!!

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I can relate. My barber for the last ten years just retired. The kid who took his place just isn't as good, doesn't know how to cut my hair and doesn't know anything about me. Dan was great and I really miss him....

Been seriously considering that...the shaving part.

I think I would be as hot as Kojak.

Maybe I need a sucker.

:2dance:

Then I second the suggestion to find a military barber. I've been two ways in my life, high and tight crew cut and down to my knees.

Yeah, it's been awhile. I used to go down to the Drive when the right teams were playing in UEFA Champions League. Much as I hated the diving and histrionics of AC Milan or Inter, the atmosphere in the bistros when they were playing was amazing.
Don't tell me that those Italian delis with the chalkboard olive menus and paper-thin prosciutto have disappeared. I'll deny what you're telling me and never go back in case you're right.
I've got three years to go 'till 65 but maybe I'll start the hair and beard thing now. We'll look like those two prisoners with their heads through the windows in 'Papillon'.

You need to know where to go to get that stuff these days, Chinese, Thai, and Japanese have replaced many European foods on grocery store shelves, your basic Safeway sells sushi [say THAT five times fast]. My biggest bitch food wise and has always been since I crossed the Rockies was getting real rye bread with caraway seeds. After living in Montreal for five years I came to see rye bread as a freakin' right. The other thing I had to get used to was pizza; no one can make a Montreal pizza here, it's simply beyond their comprehension. Deep crust, thin crust, just give me the damn pizza and put a hand roll of dough in the center to suck up the oil.

Other than that, I have no reason to cross the Rockies.

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I used to pay a ton for my hair cuts, they were worth it for a good cut, now I just shave it smooth, sorry cannot help ya.

Back
Top Bottom