• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do You Have a DECENT Barber?

I used to pay a ton for my hair cuts, they were worth it for a good cut, now I just shave it smooth, sorry cannot help ya.

Not so fast........are you happy with the road you took?

What is the worst thing about going Kojack style?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Not so fast........are you happy with the road you took?

What is the worst thing about going Kojack style?

Thanks in advance for your help.
100% Happy.

You get to the point where you do not like even having a little hair growing out, irritating.

I've been going to my barbershop for a solid 12 years now. The barber is apt; he delivers the haircut I ask for to the hair. The place is nice enough; clean couches and decent tools. He always has some meat showing on TV, and everybody is smoking and talking trash. I don't interact with anyone, but sometimes, I find myself involuntarily smirking. The barber is nice to me and he appreciates my loyal patronage.

Overall, I like it very much. I'm really finicky about who does my hair, and I can't imagine myself entrusting it with any other barber.

I have lived in Olympia since 04, during that time I have tried about 20 different places, but found not a single good one in the bunch. The Korean clipper ladies smell like kimchi and dont even try to make convo as they skim my scalp with their clipper/vacuum units on the way to completing their 5 min cuts. The non-koreans are even worse.....the shops tend to be dumps and the cuts terrible, though I do tend to get conversation attempts. The last OK Barber I has was in Sierra Vista AZ, an ex-con (murder) who always had preachers in the TV, but he was a nice guy and could cut hair. The last really good Barber was in Monterey (early-mid 1990's), a real old timer italian (About ready to retire) who was super, and charged super but that was OK.

I would pay $25 or so per cut to the right person, but all I find are crap $10 barbers.

What gives? Any ideas?

Am I the only guy who is willing to pay for quality?

Thanks in advance.

Try Great Clips. If you don't have those in your area, go to a beauty salon and let a stylist cut your hair instead of a lawn maintenance service. $25 ought to do it, I think.

I get my hair cut seasonally. This has been so since I retired from a 60+ hour work week. My hair grows incredibly fast and is thick. Takes a brave soul to tackle it. I let these old, fat, hippy chicks cut it. They are undeterred, and they charge $15.00. I give 'em twenty or more for their trouble. They don't see me all that often.

Try Great Clips. If you don't have those in your area, go to a beauty salon and let a stylist cut your hair instead of a lawn maintenance service. $25 ought to do it, I think.

Maybe, my daughters used those kinds of places for years, and my son for a spell. Seems to be the trick of finding the stylist that listens to you and know what they are doing, and not letting anyone else touch your head.

A bit over the top given the price, plus I loose the barbershop experience that I want.

Shaved head is looking better and better.

I've been going to my barbershop for a solid 12 years now. The barber is apt; he delivers the haircut I ask for to the hair. The place is nice enough; clean couches and decent tools. He always has some meat showing on TV, and everybody is smoking and talking trash. I don't interact with anyone, but sometimes, I find myself involuntarily smirking. The barber is nice to me and he appreciates my loyal patronage.

Overall, I like it very much. I'm really finicky about who does my hair, and I can't imagine myself entrusting it with any other barber.

Wait what.....meat on the tv?

Is this some slang IDK?

Lucky you.

After having had to suffer at the hands of the inept for far too long I finally figured out the secret.

#3 guard on top #1 on sides and back. Winter cut (Nov-April)

#2 guard on top No Guard on sides and back. Summer. (May-Oct)

And I tell them to take their time.

Now I can get almost any drooling idiot to cut it perfect EVERY time.

I have lived in Olympia since 04, during that time I have tried about 20 different places, but found not a single good one in the bunch. The Korean clipper ladies smell like kimchi and dont even try to make convo as they skim my scalp with their clipper/vacuum units on the way to completing their 5 min cuts. The non-koreans are even worse.....the shops tend to be dumps and the cuts terrible, though I do tend to get conversation attempts. The last OK Barber I has was in Sierra Vista AZ, an ex-con (murder) who always had preachers in the TV, but he was a nice guy and could cut hair. The last really good Barber was in Monterey (early-mid 1990's), a real old timer italian (About ready to retire) who was super, and charged super but that was OK.

I would pay $25 or so per cut to the right person, but all I find are crap $10 barbers.

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Near military bases.

Even in inflated So Cal the rate is $7-10 for a basic haircut.

The only time I was less than satisfied was with a new (and she admitted it) barber who was having problems with evening the sides. Just told her to relax and keep going until it was either right or I was bald. We chuckled and she finished without too much gone.

After having had to suffer at the hands of the inept for far too long I finally figured out the secret.

#3 guard on top #1 on sides and back. Winter cut (Nov-April)

#2 guard on top No Guard on sides and back. Summer. (May-Oct)

And I tell them to take their time.

Now I can get almost any drooling idiot to cut it perfect EVERY time.

At my kimchi cuts I get 4 on top, 2 sides, but this is not what I want. I want a styled scissors and comb cut, hair first misted with water, then a straight edge on the neck, then hopefully witch hazel at the end. A hot towel before the witch hazel will impress me.

I will pay $25-$30 for a good job.

Clearly I expect too much

At my kimchi cuts I get 4 on top, 2 sides, but this is not what I want. I want a styled scissors and comb cut, hair first misted with water, then a straight edge on the neck, then hopefully witch hazel at the end. A hot towel before the witch hazel will impress me.

I will pay $25-$30 for a good job.

Clearly I expect too much

I suppose you want egg in your beer too! Prima donna...

;)

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The best barbershops by far are going to be Mexican Barbershops. If you have one in your area, go to it. Its going to be more reasonable than most barbers, and they will do a better job. For example, they are one of the few barbers anymore that will take a straight razor to the back of your neck and around your ears. Some of those Mexican barbers only speak Spanish, but at a barber all you are telling basically is blocked or tapered so you can get that across either way.

The only barbers I ever liked were on military bases because, well, that is the style of cut I like. But when the baldness started kicking in I said screw it and now I just shave my own head.

The best barbershops by far are going to be Mexican Barbershops. If you have one in your area, go to it. Its going to be more reasonable than most barbers, and they will do a better job. For example, they are one of the few barbers anymore that will take a straight razor to the back of your neck and around your ears. Some of those Mexican barbers only speak Spanish, but at a barber all you are telling basically is blocked or tapered so you can get that across either way.

None that I know of, the Koreans seem to have a lock on the market, as they do in the nail salons. I dont know why that happened but I have only been here since 04. We have a lot of asians here (6%) but even more mexicans (9%). I suspect some racism is going on, like "the koreans are not good for much, but they can do my hair and my wife's nails"....like an affirmative action set aside.

For some years I went to a local shop where I went since I was a kid, though I still often cut my own hair, as uncoordinated as it was. For a few years now, I've gone to a Vietnamese shop. They're great clippers, vacuum and all, but only the manager really speaks English and has to translate. Clumsy. Other than when I cut my own, I'm going back to the Iraqi guy down the street I used to go to years ago. Affordable and does exactly what I ask/want.

The only barbers I ever liked were on military bases because, well, that is the style of cut I like. But when the baldness started kicking in I said screw it and now I just shave my own head.

This is apparently where I am headed, even though my dad assured me that I will die with a full head of hair because I have some indian blood.

For about a year or so I went to a Mexican biker barber shop. They were really good. Atmosphere was tops. Fun and easy.

I hated the bases. They only knew one way to cut hair. My hair was straight, and like spring steel. It stuck up everywhere. I'd cry as a little kid. But my Dad only had to pay 60 cents.

None that I know of, the Koreans seem to have a lock on the market, as they do in the nail salons. I dont know why that happened but I have only been here since 04. We have a lot of asians here (6%) but even more mexicans (9%). I suspect some racism is going on, like "the koreans are not good for much, but they can do my hair and my wife's nails"....like an affirmative action set aside.

If you got 9% Mexicans, then you got to have some Mexican barbershops because that is all they will go to.

If you got 9% Mexicans, then you got to have some Mexican barbershops because that is all they will go to.

We have one new guy who looks to be half black half mexican, who specializes in black heads.

But he cuts with Nitrile gloves on, which will not work for me.

Ya, I should look for a mexican.

Racist that I am.

Back
Top Bottom