• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you consider this a form of child abuse.

Is the scenario described a form of child abuse or mistreatment?

• Total voters
Oh.......

Being "free" in America has limits then? You embrace a government telling you what to wear? Or just 'those people' who flaunt their religion.

Ah, sister Mary Maggot you're going to have to lose the habit, it offends some people. And you, with the cross...lose it, it makes Jews nervous. And Jews, you can keep the funny hat...Trump likes hats

And that boy scout uniform? Has to go. Too militaristic!

...and you, you in the yellow bathing suit! Get some clothes on now, you know Mr. Trump hates yellow!

If you're OK with laws on what to wear, how about laws on what you can say? You OK with that?

Same old, same old. I got MY freedom, everyone else can go suck...
The poll doesn't address the issue of adults. Children dressed like that in 100 degrees F can faint or even die. It's child abuse.

A man in Houston, Texas requires his daughters to cover themselves head to toe in heavy garments all summer long. They can only expose their eyes, and must keep even their hands covered. In contrast, his sons may wear whatever they want. In fact, he would likely encourage them to wear shorts and t-shirts for the extremely hot and humid summers that Houston is known for.

Do you believe the above scenario would be a form of child abuse or mistreatment?
It’s child abuse and I would report them to CPS if I saw it.

If the females don't like being forced to do something uncomfortable, and it's not being done to correct them for their own good, but just for cultural/religious reasons, then it's abusive.

If it is part of their religious belief it is none of our damn business....why is it so hard for some people here to mind their own damn business?
Thermal injury has no place in religion. If it’s 40 degrees out sure. But kids have a relatively high surface area to body mass (I think I have that right) and are more subject to heat prostration and heat stroke. Child abuse is our business.
As an aside pediatricians and other professionals who deal with kids are required to report all suspected child abuse in CA and if they don’t they a can get sued. There is no penalty for being wrong. We report it then let others investigate.

Last edited:
A man in Houston, Texas requires his daughters to cover themselves head to toe in heavy garments all summer long. They can only expose their eyes, and must keep even their hands covered. In contrast, his sons may wear whatever they want. In fact, he would likely encourage them to wear shorts and t-shirts for the extremely hot and humid summers that Houston is known for.

Do you believe the above scenario would be a form of child abuse or mistreatment?
I thought you were for making people cover their faces?

It's hijab, not hajib. Note: The poll doesn't address this. A hijab is something that covers the hair, ears, and neck. One word for what the poll addresses is chaderi (Afghanistan, Parsi, I think). Another is burka.
I apologize for my spelling error.

So, by that argument, the FLDS Polygamist Cult in Texas should get it's ranch back. https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-...us-cult-loses-texas-ranch-faces-huge-judgment

Almost all of these women would have told you that they were very happy and that being married in their teens to 60 year old polygamists was their choice and their religion:

keepsweet.jpg

So why is it any different?
In the movie Inglourious Basterds, the following dialogue took place between the SS officer known as "the Jew Hunter" and a French civilian:

Col. Hans Landa: The feature that makes me such an effective hunter of the Jews is, as opposed to most German soldiers, I can think like a Jew, where they can only think like a German... more precisely, German soldier. Now, if one were to determine what attribute the German people share with a beast, it would be the cunning and the predatory instinct of a hawk. But if one were to determine what attributes the Jews share with a beast, it would be that of the rat. The Führer and Goebbels's propaganda have said pretty much the same thing, but where our conclusions differ is I don't consider the comparison an insult. Consider, for a moment, the world a rat lives in. It's a hostile world, indeed. If a rat were to scamper through your front door right now, would you greet it with hostility?

Perrier LaPadite: I suppose I would.

Col. Hans Landa: Has a rat ever done anything to you to create this animosity you feel towards them?

Perrier LaPadite: Rats spread diseases. They bite people.

Col. Hans Landa: Rats were the cause of the bubonic plague, but that's some time ago. I propose to you, any disease a rat could spread, a squirrel could equally carry. Would you agree?

Perrier LaPadite: Oui.

Col. Hans Landa: Yet I assume you don't share the same animosity with squirrels that you do with rats, do you?

Perrier LaPadite: No.

Col. Hans Landa: But they're both rodents, are they not? And except for the tail, they even rather look alike, don't they?

Perrier LaPadite: It's an interesting thought, Herr Colonel.

Col. Hans Landa: Ha! However interesting as the thought may be, it makes not one bit of difference to how you feel. If a rat were to walk in here right now, as I'm talking, would you greet it with a saucer of your delicious milk?

Perrier LaPadite: Probably not.

Col. Hans Landa: I didn't think so. You don't like them. You don't really know why you don't like them; all you know is you find them repulsive.
This basically describes your reaction to Muslims and fundamentalist Mormons, no?

The poll doesn't address the issue of adults. Children dressed like that in 100 degrees F can faint or even die. It's child abuse.

Abuse?

That's your interpretation. Maybe HE thinks sending your son out to play football is sadistic? Having kids bash each other head to head? Barbaric!
I wear a kilt on occasion. Some people think it's effeminate (It's a utility Kilt designed for construction work. It goes well with hiking or work boots) Does anyone have the right to tell me I can't? Some people think they do! (Women love it! But ALWAYS sit with your knees far apart!)

"Don't Tread on Me" used to be an important motto in the US. It seems now though it's changed to say "I tread on you". Stay out of other people's lives if you don't want anyone in yours.

I find it hard to believe . . . I find it hard to believe . . . I find it hard to believe . . .
With all due respect, what you find plausible isn't very interesting to people who aren't you.

With all due respect, what you find plausible isn't very interesting to people who aren't you.
With all due respect,
Deleting all of the words of my post, and using just a phrase to "make" your point, you avoid any responsibility to actually make an argument, and are also not very interesting.

In the movie Inglourious Basterds, the following dialogue took place between the SS officer known as "the Jew Hunter" and a French civilian:

This basically describes your reaction to Muslims and fundamentalist Mormons, no?
No, not at all.

Abuse?

That's your interpretation. Maybe HE thinks sending your son out to play football is sadistic? Having kids bash each other head to head? Barbaric!
I wear a kilt on occasion. Some people think it's effeminate (It's a utility Kilt designed for construction work. It goes well with hiking or work boots) Does anyone have the right to tell me I can't? Some people think they do! (Women love it! But ALWAYS sit with your knees far apart!)

"Don't Tread on Me" used to be an important motto in the US. It seems now though it's changed to say "I tread on you". Stay out of other people's lives if you don't want anyone in yours.
When you chose to wear a kilt, were you beat as a child if you refused to wear it? Were you told you would burn in hell if you refused to wear it? How many people in the modern world have been murdered because they refused to wear a kilt?

Reactions: JMR
Actually I am using the more commonly seen niqab as an example of oppression.

Is it more commonly seen, though? It might be more commonly recognized since a scarf to protect the hair has been used by Western women for generations. Nothing religious about it, just that hot dry air spoils a nice hairdo.

It's remarkable that no-one thinks twice about cars with heavily tinted windows. Privacy of the occupants is reason enough. But when women assert the same level of privacy while walking about, they or their menfolk are suspected of oppression. Like it's natural and right for women to show their faces ... unless they're in a car?

Men with beards are not suspected of trying to hide in public. Even if they wear dark or reflective sunglasses and show nothing but the nose. Are men still more free than women, even in our supposedly nonsexist societies?

I agree with Nicholas Humphrey, Richard Dawkins, the late Christopher Hitchens that religions are abusive, particularly to children, in that they teach you must have faith and believe in an unseen entity who loves you, tells you what you must believe and how you must behave using fear of eternal damnation (at least in the Abrahamic religions) to keep the flock in thrall. Women are demonized as wanton harlot temptresses and men are portrayed as being too weak to control their sexual desires, hence the clothing restrictions and restrictions on living conditions that are seen in some sects. For those who are easily brainwashed by religious dogma, the choice to leave the flock isn't easy and in some cases it's impossible. We might have freedom of religion but there is no freedom within religion.

I get out and run over lunch a lot.
My first thought was, "Do you live in KY?" 🤔

Sorry couldn't resist.....continue with poll.
I voted yes BTW. Sounds unnecessarily hot.🥵

Oh.......

Being "free" in America has limits then? You embrace a government telling you what to wear? Or just 'those people' who flaunt their religion.

Ah, sister Mary Maggot you're going to have to lose the habit, it offends some people. And you, with the cross...lose it, it makes Jews nervous. And Jews, you can keep the funny hat...Trump likes hats

And that boy scout uniform? Has to go. Too militaristic!

...and you, you in the yellow bathing suit! Get some clothes on now, you know Mr. Trump hates yellow!

If you're OK with laws on what to wear, how about laws on what you can say? You OK with that?

Same old, same old. I got MY freedom, everyone else can go suck...
People must be free to wear what they like but not free to abuse their female children by forcing them to wear extremely uncomfortable clothing. Is that so difficult to understand?

People must be free to wear what they like but not free to abuse their female children by forcing them to wear extremely uncomfortable clothing. Is that so difficult to understand?
Women have worn "extremely uncomfortable clothing" throughout the history of people.

Right, everyone has the freedom to dress how they want. However, it doesn't mean that we should make it socially acceptable to treat women in that fashion. For example, in the city I live in we have one of the largest Somali and Sudanese communities in America. I get out and run over lunch a lot. Well, run or lift weights. When you are out walking or running, you will notice a lot that people in cars typically don't notice. For example, it is an very common occurrence for me to see Somali or Sudanese families walking down a sidewalk in 90 degree plus heat, extremely humid, the son's and the father dressed in shorts and a t-shirt or in some cases just a tank top, while the older daughters and wife is covered head to toe in a niqab.

Now, you might say that is their choice. Those women choose to dress that way. Well, is it really a choice when they are told their whole life that refusing to dress that way will mean they are whores and will burn in hell for all eternity? Is it a choice when they are beat as teens if they refuse to cover themselves head to toe?

I can't think of anything more antithetical to liberalism to think that Muslim women are different species than other women, and that they have different wants and needs in life than other women. Yet, that is exactly we effectively do in the west.
This is a lot of words for “we should discriminate against people”

That is what you are advocating for.

Forcing a 16 to 18 year old woman to marry a 60 year old man is different how? The point is, we know that despite their claims that they are happy, that they are actually being abused and its pure indoctrination. Yet you seem to think that an 18 year old woman wearing a niqab is different how? Do you think that is her actual choice? Do you honestly believe that any woman would choose to live her life like that without years of indoctrination, the threat of beatings if she refuses, and being told that if she doesn't dress this way, she is a whore and will burn in hell? Picture what it would be like to go through life where anytime you left your home, you were covered head to toe wearing a niqab or a burka. You experienced the entire world seeing it only - and barely seeing it at that.

As I pointed out in a different post, no one is saying that we should ban burkas - at least I am not. The argument is that we do not have to say as a society that this perfectly fine. For example, we don't ban the Klan. The Klan can hold rallies. However, as a society, we consider their beliefs to be abhorrent. So why, should a liberal society that supposedly values human rights and the right of women, not consider the beliefs that require a woman to live her life like this to be utterly abhorrent.
Use of force is off the table. I believe that anyone can wear what they please, as an adult. Her actual choice is what she claims to prefer as long as there are no threats, no physical force. If you don't dress as other's wish, they have every right to tell her she's a whore and will burn in hell, as she has the choice not to believe that.

Of course the beliefs that require a woman to live like that ARE abhorrent. My concern is that no one have the right to force it on children or, for that matter, on anyone. It's completely unhealthy and probably responsible for much poor eyesight and osteoporosis.

Women have worn "extremely uncomfortable clothing" throughout the history of people.
Yes. European corsets. Chinese footbinding. Japanese tooth blackening with lead paint.
PS: In traditional rules for Buddhist nuns, no tampons - how could anyone stand that? You couldn't go swimming.

Abuse?

American football IS sadistic, unless you actually want to do it, and it's responsible for brain injuries.

Kilts are completely different.

But the thread issue is definitely child abuse - impairment of sight because eyes are nearly covered and all the head/body covering prevents obtaining natural Vitamin D from the sun, necessary for calcium absorption, and so a hazard for osteoporosis.

What is the wildest dream of an Amish woman?

Two Mennonite.

Isnt this the fella that accuses others off "dodging" and "whataboutisms"?

LOL.

Back
Top Bottom