• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you carry one in the chamber?[W:26]

Do you carry with one in the chamber?

• Total voters

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
To any that Open an/or Conceal carry. When you do, do you have your weapon Condition 1 ( round in the chamber) or condition 3 ( no round in the chamber). I always carry one in the chamber just because makes my draw all the more smoother since I all I have to do is disengage the safety with my thumb.

Re: Do you carry one in the chamber?

I voted no because I don't carry. But I do think citizens should be allowed to do so, and if I did, I would keep one in the chamber.

To any that Open an/or Conceal carry. When you do, do you have your weapon Condition 1 ( round in the chamber) or condition 3 ( no round in the chamber). I always carry one in the chamber just because makes my draw all the more smoother since I all I have to do is disengage the safety with my thumb.

I don't carry yet. But it's been my observation that those that do? If they have a safety, they carry one in the chamber. If they don't have a safety, they don't carry one in the chamber. That makes sense to me.

I don't carry yet. But it's been my observation that those that do? If they have a safety, they carry one in the chamber. If they don't have a safety, they don't carry one in the chamber. That makes sense to me.

very few guns do not have a safety though in some cases its a passive safety like Glock's safe action trigger that has been copied by several other makers. Revolvers never have safeties per say but the long double action trigger is the safety feature. back in the old days of six shooters, people carried the chamber under the hammer empty because a blow to the hammer could fire the weapon. and other than limiting your ammo capacity to five shots, it didn't slow your shooting down because to fire a SA revolver you had to **** the hammer which rotated the cylinder to a live round.

the IDF often carries their Browning Hi Powers (Kareens) with the chamber empty and practicing drawing while yanking back the slide in the same motion. Reason-IDF personnel are often in crowded urban environments and this practice was seen as a safety measure against Jihadists grabbing IDF pistols and then shooting the Israeli with it.

Pistols are reflexive defensive weapons. They need to be ready for instant use

if one is going to carry i think it defeats the purpose to not have one in the chamber read to go

when i do carry its a Walter p99 DA
theres no manual safety and its always ready to go

now the first trigger pull of course is harder you have to want to fire the gun it just wont go off and the internal safeties in it wont let it accidentally fire. Ive seen videos where they throw it down stairs etc, it cant fire because there is a wall blacking the firing pin.

I mean say im carrying and something happens where i only have use of one arm, one hand? then what?

How is the process of getting your Conceal coming along Maggie?

I don't keep a round in the chamber regardless of a safety, as I don't think it's a safe practice, but I tend to be overly cautious, since that's what I was taught.

How is the process of getting your Conceal coming along Maggie?

I'm waiting. If I understand it correctly, the State Police (who'll be processing the permits) won't be ready to accept applications until January 1st. Ha! Just another stall tactics, but . . .

I'm not in a hurry, though. The classes should be fun -- I'm looking forward to the 16 hours of instruction.

One in the chamber. For me, it defeats the purpose if I don't.

I'm waiting. If I understand it correctly, the State Police (who'll be processing the permits) won't be ready to accept applications until January 1st. Ha! Just another stall tactics, but . . .

I'm not in a hurry, though. The classes should be fun -- I'm looking forward to the 16 hours of instruction.

Make sure to bring an apple for your Teacher. :)

I don't keep a round in the chamber regardless of a safety, as I don't think it's a safe practice, but I tend to be overly cautious, since that's what I was taught.

that must be from someone trained on the old six shooters that didn't have a transfer bar and the firing pin was attached to the hammer and rested on the primer of the live cartridge.

if one is going to carry i think it defeats the purpose to not have one in the chamber read to go

when i do carry its a Walter p99 DA
theres no manual safety and its always ready to go

now the first trigger pull of course is harder you have to want to fire the gun it just wont go off and the internal safeties in it wont let it accidentally fire. Ive seen videos where they throw it down stairs etc, it cant fire because there is a wall blacking the firing pin.

I mean say im carrying and something happens where i only have use of one arm, one hand? then what?

Seriously? This is a consideration in your life? Or is it just an indulgence of macho juvenile fantasies.

that must be from someone trained on the old six shooters that didn't have a transfer bar and the firing pin was attached to the hammer and rested on the primer of the live cartridge.

That- and I tend to be paranoid about doing something stupid with a weapon in my possession. ;)

very few guns do not have a safety though in some cases its a passive safety like Glock's safe action trigger that has been copied by several other makers. Revolvers never have safeties per say but the long double action trigger is the safety feature. back in the old days of six shooters, people carried the chamber under the hammer empty because a blow to the hammer could fire the weapon. and other than limiting your ammo capacity to five shots, it didn't slow your shooting down because to fire a SA revolver you had to **** the hammer which rotated the cylinder to a live round.

the IDF often carries their Browning Hi Powers (Kareens) with the chamber empty and practicing drawing while yanking back the slide in the same motion. Reason-IDF personnel are often in crowded urban environments and this practice was seen as a safety measure against Jihadists grabbing IDF pistols and then shooting the Israeli with it.

Pistols are reflexive defensive weapons. They need to be ready for instant use

Yeah. Reflexive. Life requires hair-trigger responses to immediate lethal threats when you're trying to make a safe way through the Matrix.

Seriously? This is a consideration in your life? Or is it just an indulgence of macho juvenile fantasies.

so you came here to spew anti gun insults or is it your goal to derail this thread?

That- and I tend to be paranoid about doing something stupid with a weapon in my possession. ;)

fair enough. but having had to shoot someone after two thugs jumped me in an alley, I sure wouldn't have had time to rack the slide

so you came here to spew anti gun insults or is it your goal to derail this thread?

Was I talking to you? Scroll down and reply in your turn.

I carry and always do so with a round in the chamber. A firearm without a round in the chamber is nothin more than a fancy rock. I will not have a gun in my home that is not loaded. I also do not carry firearms with manual safeties. Anything that would impose a barrier to immediate use of the firearm is not something I care to deal with.

Was I talking to you? Scroll down and reply in your turn.

Last I checked, there wasn't a rule that you can't reply to whomever you wish on the forum.

I carry and always do so with a round in the chamber. A firearm without a round in the chamber is nothin more than a fancy rock. I will not have a gun in my home that is not loaded. I also do not carry firearms with manual safeties. Anything that would impose a barrier to immediate use of the firearm is not something I care to deal with.

many of us grew up shooting 1911 style pistols in competition so for us wiping off the safety is rather second nature. The reason why almost every police department either when to a Glock style (Glock MP or XD) or a decocker style (Beretta, HK, SIG) is that cops don't have the time to make that action reflexively

Yes. Damned useless otherwise.

Except at gun shows where they won't let me.

yes practicing common sense is a consideration in my life, weird huh LMAO

ive also made sure my daughter and i know first aid and CPR, we also have action plans for house emergencies and if she turns up in trouble/missing.

also just for further entertainment, whats "macho" about only having one arm? doesnt sound to macho to me lol

I mean i doubt any of this ever happens but say a dog is biting the other one or im grabbed from behind or injured some how? what good would my gun be then?

guess the "smarter" thing to do would be to not use common sense, you know like when people have heart pills in their glove box 300 yards away in their car, or mace with a child proof lid on it, buried in a purse LOL

you fail

yes practicing common sense is a consideration in my life, weird huh LMAO

ive also made sure my daughter and i know first aid and CPR, we also have action plans for house emergencies and if she turns up in trouble/missing.

also just for further entertainment, whats "macho" about only having one arm? doesnt sound to macho to me lol

I mean i doubt any of this ever happens but say a dog is biting the other one or im grabbed from behind or injured some how? what good would my gun be then?

guess the "smarter" thing to do would be to not use common sense, you know like when people have heart pills in their glove box 300 yards away in their car, or mace with a child proof lid on it, buried in a purse LOL

you fail

Plus if you have small children you might be carrying one when you need to shoot. I attended what was billed as the most realistic "Practical match" held in the Midwest about 18 years ago and one of the courses involved carrying one of those large stuffed animals (the course designer's daughter had won it at some circus) in one arm to simulate having to carry a small child out o a home being besieged by a bunch of doper-bikers.

I won the stage because the rules allowed you to carry two guns (I had my IPSC Limited para Ord as the main gun and a glock 21 as a backup) and most guys lost points "dropping" the kid trying to reload. I merely holstered the Para when it was close to dry and pulled the Glock which of course had no manual safeties etc)

Plus if you have small children you might be carrying one when you need to shoot. I attended what was billed as the most realistic "Practical match" held in the Midwest about 18 years ago and one of the courses involved carrying one of those large stuffed animals (the course designer's daughter had won it at some circus) in one arm to simulate having to carry a small child out o a home being besieged by a bunch of doper-bikers.

I won the stage because the rules allowed you to carry two guns (I had my IPSC Limited para Ord as the main gun and a glock 21 as a backup) and most guys lost points "dropping" the kid trying to reload. I merely holstered the Para when it was close to dry and pulled the Glock which of course had no manual safeties etc)

nice

i do admit it does make me a little paranoid it not having a manual safety but the alternative is POSSIBLE rendering it useless so i just got over it

I still need a smaller gun though, its big for concealed all the time, probably just gonna go with the same gun just compact version

nice

i do admit it does make me a little paranoid it not having a manual safety but the alternative is POSSIBLE rendering it useless so i just got over it

I still need a smaller gun though, its big for concealed all the time, probably just gonna go with the same gun just compact version

I have the luxury of owning lots of carry guns and the further luxury of being able to shoot 2-4 times a week including weekly "Steel matches" and a glock match here and there where I shoot (among other things) one of the small G 26. SO I can transition between my SW revolver (pure double action), my SIG 380 (Pure single action cocked and locked), Smith and wesson semis (safe action as they call it but my carry pieces -a SHIELD and a MP Compact both have the manual safeties on them) and a SW Bodyguard (the safety is so small I don't use it but the trigger is LONG and heavy like a revolver)

Back
Top Bottom