• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you carry a knife for self-defense?

Do you carry a knife for self defense?

• Total voters
I don't carry a knife specifically for self-defense, but I always have one in my pocket. If it happened to be all I had, I'd use it for defense. The infection caused by all the bacteria and other nasty **** growing on the blade would probably be worst than a gunshot wound.

I carry a knife for all sorts of reasons. If it came to using it for self-defense, I could easily use it for such.

I carry a knife for all sorts of reasons. If it came to using it for self-defense, I could easily use it for such.

Mostly why I carry it. Boxes, tape, strapping, cleaning off parts to get part numbers, opening up my crackers.

Well then, obvioulsy knives are not the best weapon to kill someone with. Otherwise, these mass shooters would be using knives instead of guns. The point is, there are more restrictions on many less lethal weapons then there are on guns. How many mass stabbings have you heard of that killed 20+ people?

Actually, depending upon the circumstances, knives are very good weapons. They simply serve totally different purposes, and are generally for much more personal attacks. My theory is, there aren't a lot of innocent bystanders with knives and if someone does kill me with a knife. . . I probably had it coming.

Also, it would be good to note that primary weapon used during the September 11th attacks were knives, just saying.

Im not saying it can't prevent a crime, I am saying that the prevailance of guns that makes it so easy for criminals to get ahold of them and commit crimes far outnumbers the instances where a legal owner thwarts a crime. There is nearly 1 firearm for ever person in the U.S. yet we rarely hear of instances where a crime is thwarted by someone with a firearm.

I'm sure that someone has already covered this, but prevented crimes rarely make the news.

Who's got time to report a crime that hasn't happened?

I agree. My thing is though, the attacker must be the one to flee IMO, only because to flee I have to turn my back, I'm not doing it. However I would prefer the attacker get the message that if he wins, he still loses in that he will be hurting for a long time. And yep, I will weaponize anything I have to in the worst case scenario.

I totally get where you are coming from and for most people that makes sense.

I typically spend a lot of time people watching and counting who goes where around me.

Do you carry a knife for self-defense?

I do. Well, I actually carry it for work, for, you know.....cutting things, like mule tape and p-line. In all actuality a cheap box-cutter would be a better tool for the job, but I have a military issued knife (yes it was actually issued to me by the military. I didn't just go buy something at Wall-Mart that said "military grade" or some bull**** on the package) instead.

I have the tanto:
Military-Approved Gerber Autos
View attachment 67153994

Ooo and look at that, it's an auto, too. A "military-style" auto :shock: AND it's black! Scary!

See related:
"Hoah!-Knife" reactions.

I usually carry a knife somewhere on my person, and I've done so since I was about 16 years old. I've never actually had to use it for self-defense, but it comes in pretty handy for day-to-day chores and hassles.

My favorite knife by far, was a CRKT M16 - 13SF, which I bought for about $60 during AIT in 2008, and actually carried around with me until 2011.

m16-13sf_xl.jpg

It was a great knife. It was nastily sharp, sturdy, and always kept it's edge. The only reason I don't still have it is because my unit leadership forced me to part with the thing while flying from the US to Kuwait, and the sergeant responsible for keeping track of it ran off with everyone's knives when half the unit split off to go to Afghanistan.

Since then, I've run through a couple of gerbers and leathermans, but I always seem to misplace them after a couple of months. :shrug:

Last edited:
I totally get where you are coming from and for most people that makes sense.

I typically spend a lot of time people watching and counting who goes where around me.
There is no right answer as long as you ultimately survive the situation unharmed. I don't believe in giving an attacker any indication that I'm unaware of him, but as long as you stay aware of the situation at hand you're good.

Definitely agreed.

Situational awareness is super important, regardless of where you are or what you are doing. I can easily mean the difference between life or death. . . or at least a good day or bad day.

Definitely agreed.

Situational awareness is super important, regardless of where you are or what you are doing. I can easily mean the difference between life or death. . . or at least a good day or bad day.

Self defense begins with situational awareness. I preach it in all my classes. It is practically the sine qua non of self-protection: without this, nothing. A fifth degree black belt and a Glock .45 are unlikely to save you if you wander around oblivious and unthinking.

Based on your background, I'd guess Bram Frank's Common Sense Self-Defense System? Biomechanical cutting?

No idea. I call my system, "My Dad." My dad is the last person in the world anyone wants to meet in a dark alley.

We're a family of pirates. We don't do classes. :lol:

If I find myself on the way to work and that I have forgotten my pocket knife , I will go back to get it. It is that essential and important a tool.
However I have never, ever, considered using it to cut or stick a person under any circumstances.
I have never thought of it as a weapon.

Bosses in Albania carry concealed weapons and make no fuss about it. I use to carry a knoyfe back at that time. As a lecturer it is entirely out of context now though. I droped using my knoyfe long ago.

For common usage I would prefer having scissors instead. Non sharp, curvy, light, that one can hold with comfort would be fine.

I dont carry one for protection. I DO carry one all the time and have since I was a young kid. I carry a Spyderco. I also carry concealed and will almost always carry companion items (non-lethal defensive means such as tear gas or a collapsible baton.

If I find myself on the way to work and that I have forgotten my pocket knife , I will go back to get it. It is that essential and important a tool.
However I have never, ever, considered using it to cut or stick a person under any circumstances.
I have never thought of it as a weapon.

I keep spares in my truck.

I keep spares in my truck.

My car serves as an additional palace for me to keep all of my spare emergency items. . . some of it is duplicative of what is in my backpack, but I figure that it is exceedingly rare that I'll be far out of both my car and my back pack.

Hopefully I'll never use any of the stuff I keep in there (although my jumper cables have been used more than enough times), but I like knowing that it's all there.

I used to when I worked with troubled teen boys. I worked with them at night, and my husband was the one that suggested I carry one. However I only carried it about three weeks b/c I started considering that any of them could have gotten to it and used it on someone else. Also if I HAD to use it, it would have most likely been used against me since I was considerably smaller!

Back
Top Bottom