• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you carry a knife for self-defense?

Do you carry a knife for self defense?

• Total voters
I agree and recommend to essentially everyone, particularly women, to NOT have a knife for self defense. They do, though, have the ability to make a person seem dangerously crazy and that actually can work.

Yup. My knife is a much better weapon when combined with good acting skills, than it would be in actual combat.

Thank god for that Italian maniacal shriek I inherited.

What is curious is how people furiously defend gun rights, while don't for other weapons. The laws restricting knives (including as a felony offense) is extreme. Generally they can't be longer than 6 inches, can't be a danger, and can-not open by a spring.

So, while my wife can have a 42 round Nato 5.56 bullpup, an 38sp in her pocket with a .357 derringer up her sleeve, she can't have a $10 Mexican switch blade - and definitely not a cutlass.

THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER! Why doesn't anyone complain about that? Why isn't THAT ever challenged in court? Back then AND NOW, cutting weapons are STILL used and carried by most militaries (ie they have "militia" usage to this day.)

At close quarter a true cutlass would go a long way towards self defense! We have a vintage one ("for collection purposes only" of course :roll:) - and it's basically an 18 inch long meat cleaver. Why are GUNS the only "right to bear arms" people care about defending???
I firmly believe the second amendment protects them, the main problem is that "thug weapon" language has made it impossible to get enough people to agree to fight for giving these things the same protections. I'm personally looking into the legality of carrying a collapsible baton for CQC defense but can't figure out where it falls in my state. The knives I do own are highly illegal for street possession so they stay at my house, I have a four inch carbon coated double dagger and a six inch, both quite lethal, but state law prohibits the carry of double edged blades, switchblades, and anything over iirc 4".

I do. It's probably the worst of all possible weapons though.

I got used to it because I had no other choice when I was traveling. Guns? Illegal. Pepper spray? Illegal in some of the places I went. Taser? Illegal in some of the places I went.

I literally had no other option but a knife under 3 inches.

When you're small, female, and in my case, also have an upper body injury that affects strength, having to rely on a knife is a nightmare. I don't recommend it to anyone. Not only do you have to get close, but you also have to hope they won't take it out of your hand.

I just had no choice. And fortunately for me, I am capable of looking bat**** crazy on demand, and that has saved me from having to use it on more than one occasion. Because really... it's awful.
The first and only rule of self defense is win, and unfortunately, I don't think legislators take into account that some people absolutely need the best force multipliers they can get. Pepper spray is banned in some places because of a few random attacks with it which led to I think 1 or 2 deaths and a blinding, but that is certainly not a reason to take it out of an innocent person's hands.

The first and only rule of self defense is win, and unfortunately, I don't think legislators take into account that some people absolutely need the best force multipliers they can get. Pepper spray is banned in some places because of a few random attacks with it which led to I think 1 or 2 deaths and a blinding, but that is certainly not a reason to take it out of an innocent person's hands.

Yeah, exactly. Honestly, I carry the knife mainly just as a tool. It's a good thing to have.

But the restrictive laws most places have mean that it was also my only option for self-defense.

It's a really bad option. I won't win a confrontation with anything short of a complete moron, or someone who's physically disabled in some way. The knife works better as a prop than a weapon. And that's even considering that I actually know what to do with a knife.

The only time I've ever had to physically defend myself, I used my elbow. It was probably a smarter move than going for my knife.

I don't get what the hell these people expect me to do when I can't own anything that's effective. Not even a taser, in some places. Nothing that could even theoretically, in some crazy off-the-wall scenario kill someone is legal. Uh, what about someone who could kill me?

Yeah, exactly. Honestly, I carry the knife mainly just as a tool. It's a good thing to have.

But the restrictive laws most places have mean that it was also my only option for self-defense.

It's a really bad option. I won't win a confrontation with anything short of a complete moron, or someone who's physically disabled in some way. The knife works better as a prop than a weapon. And that's even considering that I actually know what to do with a knife.

The only time I've ever had to physically defend myself, I used my elbow. It was probably a smarter move than going for my knife.

I don't get what the hell these people expect me to do when I can't own anything that's effective. Not even a taser, in some places. Nothing that could potentially kill someone in some totally insane scenario is legal. Uh, what about someone who could kill me?
Agreed. Fortunately most criminals are a decent combination of cowardly and stupid, but that is not a rule set in stone. Hopefully you never are in a position again to have to protect yourself.

IMO if you didn't learn how to handle a knife by the time you were 10, your father failed as a parent.

Some of us had absolutely no reason or need to learn such a skill. It's a good skill to know, but still......:shrug:

I don't carry any weapons for self-defense. I am fairly fit and still confident of my abilities at hand-to-hand combat. Having said that, I recognize and accept others might do so and as long as they are proficient and safety trained that's fine with me.
I never take anything for granted personally, but that is based on a few bad experiences I had in my earlier years. I stand at 5'10" and about 195lb. mostly muscle, I train to protect myself in my own time. Sure, I can handle myself, but I always want that "just in case" backup. Personally, I find nothing wrong with people taking whatever measures they are comfortable with as per their self defense.

Some of us had absolutely no reason or need to learn such a skill. It's a good skill to know, but still......:shrug:
You never know when you'll need a knife. Not talking self defense but if the vehicle busts a hose and you have a knife and duct tape, you might be able to save it long enough to get to a shop, you may have to wedge something out, or even improvise the point as a screwdriver(has come in handy for me personally).

While I normally don't carry anything, if I go somewhere where I know it may be dangerous, or may be drawn into a dangerous situation I carry a knuckle duster and/or smth like this:
pumnal-undercover-twin-black-3365027_big.jpg

It's military grade stuff, not meant to shine in the moonlight.

While I normally don't carry anything, if I go somewhere where I know it may be dangerous, or may be drawn into a dangerous situation I carry a knuckle duster and/or smth like this:
pumnal-undercover-twin-black-3365027_big.jpg

It's military grade stuff, not meant to shine in the moonlight.
Knuckle dusters are legal where you're at? Over here basic brass knucks are a felony on the street, much less the knuckle duster.

You never know when you'll need a knife. Not talking self defense but if the vehicle busts a hose and you have a knife and duct tape, you might be able to save it long enough to get to a shop, you may have to wedge something out, or even improvise the point as a screwdriver(has come in handy for me personally).

That's a very good point.

I don't carry a knife, but can certainly appreciate that sentiment. One time in Guatemala we were driving from Quetzal to Antigua when one of the cabs broke down, it was a spraying leak from their radiator hose. We were in the middle of nowhere and didn't much feel like sticking around for AAA, so I took a rag that was in my backpack and tied it tightly around the hose and we all dumped what water we had into the radiator.

The rag slowed the leak and prevented it from spraying so that the cab could make it to the next town.

You never know when you're going to need something, that's why I always have a backpack full of stuff nearby.

That's a very good point.

I don't carry a knife, but can certainly appreciate that sentiment. One time in Guatemala we were driving from Quetzal to Antigua when one of the cabs broke down, it was a spraying leak from their radiator hose. We were in the middle of nowhere and didn't much feel like sticking around for AAA, so I took a rag that was in my backpack and tied it tightly around the hose and we all dumped what water we had into the radiator.

The rag slowed the leak and prevented it from spraying so that the cab could make it to the next town.

You never know when you're going to need something, that's why I always have a backpack full of stuff nearby.
It's rare to be in a complete jam, but never fun. Anything you have on you at the time is what gets you back in motion.

I've always been of the opinion that you should either carry a weapon always or never.

A while ago I made the commitment to never carry a weapon, I'd rather solve the problem with words.

It's rare to be in a complete jam, but never fun. Anything you have on you at the time is what gets you back in motion.

That's a fact.

I've got a good pack with a set of things I'd want in a pinch. Some of the stuff is real basic, but other things I've included based on bad experiences in the past. Sometimes it's a lot of weight to carry around, but I've used the stuff inside more times than I care to remember.

Usually it's at arms length.

Agreed. Fortunately most criminals are a decent combination of cowardly and stupid, but that is not a rule set in stone. Hopefully you never are in a position again to have to protect yourself.

That's been my experience. Elbow-to-the-throat guy? Drunk as a bum. The couple guys I've had to do the "crazy as hell" act on? Three times my size, but cowardly little punks all the same.

Thanks. I hope not too.

I've always been of the opinion that you should either carry a weapon always or never.

A while ago I made the commitment to never carry a weapon, I'd rather solve the problem with words.

Fair enough. Read the rest because it goes to what you are saying too.

Knuckle dusters are legal where you're at? Over here basic brass knucks are a felony on the street, much less the knuckle duster.

Nothing is legal where I'm at. Knuckle dusters are illegal. knives are illegal. guns are illegal (I live in Europe).
But so is attacking other people. Assault. battery. Murder. All these things are illegal. And yet, if someone goes on and attacks you, does something illegal, and with something that is illegal, and there is no way to escape from the situation, then you either end up in a hospital or in grave.

Now I live in a city where we basically have no real crime. Really, almost none. The only 'bad things' that happen in my city are the occasional bar fights or brawls if you will (usually started by teenagers, uneducated adults who hate their lives and are alcohoolics, or foreign exchange students from arab countries)and if you go out looking for trouble in a part of town which is heavily populated by gypsies. Other than that.. you're golden. No criminal activity or threat what so ever. You can walk the streets at night, at any time, almost everywhere, no problem.

But since I don't want to become a victim in any circumstance, always pays to be prepared. Better his mother cries rather than mine.

Nothing is legal where I'm at. Knuckle dusters are illegal. knives are illegal. guns are illegal (I live in Europe).
But so is attacking other people. Assault. battery. Murder. All these things are illegal. And yet, if someone goes on and attacks you, does something illegal, and with something that is illegal, and there is no way to escape from the situation, then you either end up in a hospital or in grave.

Now I live in a city where we basically have no real crime. Really, almost none. The only 'bad things' that happen in my city are the occasional bar fights or brawls if you will (usually started by teenagers, uneducated adults who hate their lives and are alcohoolics, or foreign exchange students from arab countries)and if you go out looking for trouble in a part of town which is heavily populated by gypsies. Other than that.. you're golden. No criminal activity or threat what so ever. You can walk the streets at night, at any time, almost everywhere, no problem.

But since I don't want to become a victim in any circumstance, always pays to be prepared. Better his mother cries rather than mine.
Gotcha. Here I have more to lose if I bring the wrong weapon on the street, I can lose the ability to carry anything so I pay close attention to the laws regarding carry weapons. It's actually worse to get caught here with brass knuckles or a knuckle duster than a blade, and even then if you're caught with a switchblade it's worse than a double edge. I don't agree with any of it, but it is the law.

That's been my experience. Elbow-to-the-throat guy? Drunk as a bum. The couple guys I've had to do the "crazy as hell" act on? Three times my size, but cowardly little punks all the same.

Thanks. I hope not too.
At least they ran, sadly they are more prone to pick on those they perceive as weak and fragile for that very reason.

No, but I've carried a Swiss Army knife with me since I was 17 for utility purposes. It's helped me more times than I can count.

Gotcha. Here I have more to lose if I bring the wrong weapon on the street, I can lose the ability to carry anything so I pay close attention to the laws regarding carry weapons. It's actually worse to get caught here with brass knuckles or a knuckle duster than a blade, and even then if you're caught with a switchblade it's worse than a double edge. I don't agree with any of it, but it is the law.

Welll, there is this law in my country that states that if you are attacked, you cannot respond with greater force than the attacker.

Technically speaking, this means that if he brings a 10cm long knife and I have a 12cm knife, I can be liable if I injure him and serve prison time.

It is illegal to carry anything... and that's why I carry them concealed. And I choose to avoid a fight rather than engage in it. ALways run if you have the ability to run and nobody gets injured.

Fair enough. Read the rest because it goes to what you are saying too.

For a while I had a concealed carry permit and used always, but it struck me that I'd rather not shoot someone if it was at all avoidable. I've ran into confrontations where I was either able to talk my way out of it or simply walk away, mostly out of lack of other options. I found myself thinking that if I was carrying, at least one of those situations might've turned out differently.

Statistically speaking, I'm not likely to run into a situation where words can't get me out of a situation, especially where I didn't have any other options.

But so is attacking other people. Assault. battery. Murder. All these things are illegal.

I had a CCW, and know that some of the weapons that I'd like to carry are illegal, but that really didn't impact my decision.

Welll, there is this law in my country that states that if you are attacked, you cannot respond with greater force than the attacker.

Technically speaking, this means that if he brings a 10cm long knife and I have a 12cm knife, I can be liable if I injure him and serve prison time.

It is illegal to carry anything... and that's why I carry them concealed. And I choose to avoid a fight rather than engage in it. ALways run if you have the ability to run and nobody gets injured.
I always give someone an "out" and it's been my experience that most people will take it, I hate fighting unless it's a contest with friends and rules(like sparring). In my state there is a bit of an equivalence rule, but that goes out of the window if imminent threat is established. I have the right to stop an active attack with any kind of weapon I have on hand once one is produced in an attack, however if I know for a fact that the only thing the attacker has is his fists I must not use a weapon unless the threshold is met, such as the guy is beating me unconscious or something along those lines. It blurs a bit if I come across a rape or violent third party defense, but like you said, better my mother or an innocent's mother isn't the one crying.

What is curious is how people furiously defend gun rights, while don't for other weapons. The laws restricting knives (including as a felony offense) is extreme. Generally they can't be longer than 6 inches, can't be a danger, and can-not open by a spring.

So, while my wife can have a 42 round Nato 5.56 bullpup, an 38sp in her pocket with a .357 derringer up her sleeve, she can't have a $10 Mexican switch blade - and definitely not a cutlass.

THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER! Why doesn't anyone complain about that? Why isn't THAT ever challenged in court? Back then AND NOW, cutting weapons are STILL used and carried by most militaries (ie they have "militia" usage to this day.)

At close quarter a true cutlass would go a long way towards self defense! We have a vintage one ("for collection purposes only" of course :roll:) - and it's basically an 18 inch long meat cleaver. Why are GUNS the only "right to bear arms" people care about defending???

In New Mexico you can carry a damn machete as long as its not concealed. There used to be this guy around town that carried a 18" bayonet. Completely legal.

Switch blades and butterfly knives are completely illegal though.

In New Mexico you can carry a damn machete as long as its not concealed. There used to be this guy around town that carried a 18" bayonet. Completely legal.

Switch blades and butterfly knives are completely illegal though.
The nice thing about a machete is that you have the built in excuse that you are on your way to help a friend clear out his yard.

Back
Top Bottom