• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you carry a knife for self-defense?

Do you carry a knife for self defense?

• Total voters

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

I do. Well, I actually carry it for work, for, you know.....cutting things, like mule tape and p-line. In all actuality a cheap box-cutter would be a better tool for the job, but I have a military issued knife (yes it was actually issued to me by the military. I didn't just go buy something at Wall-Mart that said "military grade" or some bull**** on the package) instead.

I have the tanto:
Military-Approved Gerber Autos
2.jpg

Ooo and look at that, it's an auto, too. A "military-style" auto :shock: AND it's black! Scary!

See related:
"Hoah!-Knife" reactions.

Last edited:

I do. Well, I actually carry it for work, for, you know.....cutting things, like mule tape and p-line. In all actuality a cheap box-cutter would be a better tool for the job, but I have a military issued knife (yes it was actually issued to me by the military. I didn't just go buy something at Wall-Mart that said "military grade" or some bull**** on the package) instead.

I have the tanto:
View attachment 67153994

See related:
"Hoah!-Knife" reactions.

I have one in my car console just like that

I carry a Chinese made Spyderco (Bird) all the time

its big enough for all sorts of uses

its well made

its cheap so If I lose it I don't get burned too badly (that's why I don't carry 250 dollar microtech autos or MODs)

I can open that Byrd faster than any of the many dozens of auto knives I own

I have not left the house with out a knife since I was about 11. Other than to fly.

I don't carry any weapons for self-defense. I am fairly fit and still confident of my abilities at hand-to-hand combat. Having said that, I recognize and accept others might do so and as long as they are proficient and safety trained that's fine with me.

I don't carry any weapons for self-defense. I am fairly fit and still confident of my abilities at hand-to-hand combat. Having said that, I recognize and accept others might do so and as long as they are proficient and safety trained that's fine with me.
IMO if you didn't learn how to handle a knife by the time you were 10, your father failed as a parent.

What concealed carry in Canada means.

What is curious is how people furiously defend gun rights, while don't for other weapons. The laws restricting knives (including as a felony offense) is extreme. Generally they can't be longer than 6 inches, can't be a danger, and can-not open by a spring.

So, while my wife can have a 42 round Nato 5.56 bullpup, an 38sp in her pocket with a .357 derringer up her sleeve, she can't have a $10 Mexican switch blade - and definitely not a cutlass.

THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER! Why doesn't anyone complain about that? Why isn't THAT ever challenged in court? Back then AND NOW, cutting weapons are STILL used and carried by most militaries (ie they have "militia" usage to this day.)

At close quarter a true cutlass would go a long way towards self defense! We have a vintage one ("for collection purposes only" of course :roll:) - and it's basically an 18 inch long meat cleaver. Why are GUNS the only "right to bear arms" people care about defending???

Last edited:
I do. It's probably the worst of all possible weapons though.

I got used to it because I had no other choice when I was traveling. Guns? Illegal. Pepper spray? Illegal in some of the places I went. Taser? Illegal in some of the places I went.

I literally had no other option but a knife under 3 inches.

When you're small, female, and in my case, also have an upper body injury that affects strength, having to rely on a knife is a nightmare. I don't recommend it to anyone. Not only do you have to get close, but you also have to hope they won't take it out of your hand.

I just had no choice. And fortunately for me, I am capable of looking bat**** crazy on demand, and that has saved me from having to use it on more than one occasion. Because really... it's awful.

I got used to it because I had no other choice when I was traveling. Guns? Illegal. Pepper spray? Illegal in some of the places I went. Taser? Illegal in some of the places I went.

When you're small, female, and in my case, also have an upper body injury that affects strength, having to rely on a knife is a nightmare. I don't recommend it to anyone. Not only do you have to get close, but you also have to hope they won't take it out of your hand.

I just had no choice. And fortunately for me, I am capable of looking bat**** crazy on demand, and that has saved me from having to use it on more than one occasion. Because really... it's awful.

It also works great in place where laws regarding self-defence are like Canada's where if you had a gun and killed someone in self-defence you might end up being charged. Three inches is a bit ridiculous.

I agree and recommend to essentially everyone, particularly women, to NOT have a knife for self defense. They do, though, have the ability to make a person seem dangerously crazy and that actually can work.

No I don't carry one for protection. I will carry one as a working tool on occasion, but even that is very rare. I carry a gun, so a knife for me is useless as I don't intend at my age to enter into HTH combat.

I don't usually carry anything for self defense. It's just not something I think about before I leave the house.

What is curious is how people furiously defend gun rights, while don't for other weapons. The laws restricting knives (including as a felony offense) is extreme. Generally they can't be longer than 6 inches, can't be a danger, and can-not open by a spring.

So, while my wife can have a 42 round Nato 5.56 bullpup, an 38sp in her pocket with a .357 derringer up her sleeve, she can't have a $10 Mexican switch blade - and definitely not a cutlass.

THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER! Why doesn't anyone complain about that? Why isn't THAT ever challenged in court? Back then AND NOW, cutting weapons are STILL used and carried by most militaries (ie they have "militia" usage to this day.)

At close quarter a true cutlass would go a long way towards self defense! We have a vintage one ("for collection purposes only" of course :roll:) - and it's basically an 18 inch long meat cleaver. Why are GUNS the only "right to bear arms" people care about defending???

Lots of things don't make sense. When I worked in DC, I couldn't even carry a pen knife on a key chain through security yet I could walk down to the supply store inside the HOB and acquire all sorts of things that would have made much better weapons had I been so inclined. I don't blame the guys at the gates who had to enforce the rule but they really are as much about show as anything else.

I carry a ball point pen for defense. If you know how to use it, you can stab the eyes out of most of the ******s carrying guns, usually before they can react. It takes training though, and I don't recommend it for most.

I carry a ball point pen for defense. If you know how to use it, you can stab the eyes out of most of the ******s carrying guns, usually before they can react. It takes training though, and I don't recommend it for most.

Bring a pen to a gun fight, good thinking.

The pen really is mightier then the sword, especially if it is dismantled and put into a main artery.

Yes because assaulting someone for no apparent reason with a pen is exactly what this thread is about. :roll:

If the comment had been funny rather than baiting, you could have been forgiven.

Last edited:
Bring a pen to a gun fight, good thinking.

Ball point pens can get were a pistol cant. Sometimes you just have to play the cards your dealt. You cant always bring a gun to a knife fight.

Last edited:
Actually, no I don't. Totally fine if others do though.

Personally, I've been trained to use pocket lint and a fig newton.

I have the tanto:
View attachment 67153994

Ooo and look at that, it's an auto, too. A "military-style" auto :shock: AND it's black! Scary!

See related:
"Hoah!-Knife" reactions.

I keep a K-bar in all my vehicles along with a hammer and other safety things. Reason being I can use it for emergencies on the road like when a car crashes and you have to get someone out like now. Most cars today have very thin metal which can be punctured fairly easily with a heavy full tang knife and a hammer. You use the combo as an improvised jaws of life and literally cut people out of the vehicle. A big ass can opener if you will. K-bars also are intimidating to carjackers, though that to me is a secondary reason to keep it.

Hey a joke that somebody found funny. My lucky day. Though there is a bit of truth in the joke. A steel barrel pen that's been dismantled can be an effective makeshift weapon, just have to target soft squishy parts that big arteries going though them like under the armpit which nobody seems to protect, or the femoral artery which they don't protect either though it is a bit harder to get to. People don't seem to like pointy objects stuck in them for some reason. Go figure.:shrug:

Nobody here carries anything for self defence. Perhaps we are the only city state who can afford that.

Back
Top Bottom