• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you believe we are living in the end times?

SheWolf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A few days ago, I watched a documentary called Waiting for Armageddon. My reaction to it was that it was really good. It provided interesting insight into the complex beliefs, and many of people in it sounded like a few Christians I know.

One scene especially reminds me of somebody I know. She said she does not expect to experience becoming a grandma. Then she sat down at a table with the bible and her two teenage daughters and proclaimed, "All of the prophecies have been fulfilled... every single one!" Then had a dire conversation with them about the coming end.

Well, today, I checked the mail and I got a pamphlet and invite to a Christian event about about the end times, the prophecies, the bible, and all things related. I started to wonder how common this belief is.

And if you think the end is coming, are you worried or stressed out? It seems like something you shouldn't be preoccupied with if you think you will be saved. I don't understand the intense focus many Christians have on the concept.

Another group of people in the documentary seemed excited about the end coming, and want to encourage events in Israel believing it will trigger the end.

Thoughts?

A few days ago, I watched a documentary called Waiting for Armageddon. My reaction to it was that it was really good. It provided interesting insight into the complex beliefs, and many of people in it sounded like a few Christians I know.

One scene especially reminds me of somebody I know. She said she does not expect to experience becoming a grandma. Then she sat down at a table with the bible and her two teenage daughters and proclaimed, "All of the prophecies have been fulfilled... every single one!" Then had a dire conversation with them about the coming end.

Well, today, I checked the mail and I got a pamphlet and invite to a Christian event about about the end times, the prophecies, the bible, and all things related. I started to wonder how common this belief is.

And if you think the end is coming, are you worried or stressed out? It seems like something you shouldn't be preoccupied with if you think you will be saved. I don't understand the intense focus many Christians have on the concept.

Another group of people in the documentary seemed excited about the end coming, and want to encourage events in Israel believing it will trigger the end.

Thoughts?

Actually, it is for the first time technology feasible that we could wipe out humanity, if we make the wrong choices.

people have been predicting the end of humanity since humanity. how long they'll have to wait is anyone's guess. meanwhile, life goes on.

edit for length

... excited about the end coming, and want to encourage events in Israel believing it will trigger the end.

Thoughts?

Where I am coming from: Christian, theologically rather conservative (though not as much as my upbringing), grew up in a church where the Second Coming and End Times were mentioned in about every third sermon and the feature of many sermon series. I have also done my own, rather extensive study of end-times prophecy which took place in my spare time over the course of several years.

Summary: Mixed feelings.

More detail: There are different interpretations and theories regarding biblical eschatology (end-times studies), how literally to take it, whether it was already fulfilled in the destruction of the Temple in the first century or not, pre/post/pan Trib "rapture" or not, etc etc... it can get extremely complex and involved. It isn't just Revelations but scattered throughout the NT and also in the OT especially the book of Daniel.

I was brought up to believe the "standard" conservative Protestant interpretation... that in a time when most of the world has turned away from God, the Rapture will suddenly remove all true believers from the Earth which will then suffer 7 years of terrible Tribulation (antichrist, mark of the beast, etc), followed by the direct rule of Jesus as King in Jerusalem during the Millenium, followed by a final rebellion of much of humanity with Lucifer in charge and a final destruction of the Earth (and possibly the universe) and then eternity.

I still more or less believe that, but am open to the possibility that that interpretation might not be entirely correct in all particulars. It is all very complex and involves a great deal of symbolism and allegory.

I believe in Jesus' Second Coming, because He said it would be so and I trust in His words. Whether it will be exactly like my preacher taught or not is something of a question mark.

I believe we Christians are commanded to "watch ye therefore" and so it should be on our minds... the awareness that this present age could possibly come to a sudden and supernatural change-event is something to bear in mind, in particular that we may be called away from this world in either the "rapture" or death at any moment.

too long continued...

However, it is also my opinion that some churches are OVERLY focused on end-times matters. I think the church I grew up in was one such. Thankfully, my preacher stopped short of being a date-setter, but was still liable to get excited anytime any slightest thing happened in the Mideast and interpret anything to do with Israel as a sign "that the end was nigh". I grew up hearing every week or two that "time was short".

I think this was excessive. It tended to engender a ambivalence about making long-term plans or considering what things will be like for your great-grandchildren.

The preacher in question has passed on to his reward, and his predictions of imminent apocalypse have outlived him, something he didn't expect.

A common feature of churches with a strong "the end is extremely nigh" focus is an "are you ready for the Rapture/ are you going or will you be left behind" theme. While there is a fundamental truth to this, scripturally, many take it so far that they lose sight of Grace and become overly focused on works, appearances and activities. The fear engendered by the notion of being left behind makes many question their salvation constantly, leaving them in a state of uncertainty and fear... forgetting their salvation is in Jesus' hands and by His Grace, not whether they can refrain from snarling at their spouse once in a while or venting an obscenity upon hitting their thumb with a hammer.

Excessive legalism, in other words, tends to go along with a hyperactive focus on the end times. Seems to anyway.

As for me, I do not let datesetters or nigh-sayers cause me any excitement. My soul is in Jesus' hands, and That Day is not given into the knowledge of men. "No man knows the day or the hour of the coming of the Son of Man... no not the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." So important was that secret that Jesus did not even carry it with him into his earthly incarnation but rather left it in keeping of the Father Creator in Heaven, that it would not touch the Earth and he would not be tempted to reveal it.

For any man to think he knows the day, or week or month, or whether the time is "nigh" or not seems most presumptious to me.

I accept that I have no knowledge of when it may be... tomorrow or next year, five years or five hundred, I have no idea, any more than I know the date of my own passing. Either could come at any time and it is well to be prepared.

But to hyper-focus on it to the exclusion of other things, like living a good life and hopefully gifting the world with children and grandchildren that are "salt and light to the Earth", is probably not a proper balance of things.

It will be whenever God wills and not one second before, and nothing any one can do will hasten or delay it a single moment.

JMO.

Not the end times but important times which will decide the future of humanity.

Thoughts?

No. Though in Judaism this is a very happy occurrence for everyone. So it isn't something to be looked upon with trepidation, there is no great cataclysm or fiery judgment.

To conclude in summary: It is well for anyone who is Christian to at some point become familiar with the end-times prophecies. It is well to bear in mind that the present world is not eternal and could "end" abruptly.

However, to focus on this one aspect of Christianity to the detriment of all else is certainly an unbalanced and excessive modus, IMHO.

I think if it isn't an extinction, there will be a huge wipe of the human population. Could say climate, but I won't. It's because recently we are consuming as a species more than is replenished. It's a feedback loop. More population, more consumption, more growth, more population, more consumption. Eventually people will be fighting for themselves for resources that are essential for living. It's a reset button if you will. With that happening, I'm sure humanity will construct a system that takes that outcome into account.

I don't know. Be prepared spiritually. That is the message. If you're interested, you could read C.S. Lewis's The World's Last Night - a brief essay on this very subject.

I have a friend who thinks the rapture is coming... I feel sorry for him because he is going to be disappointed.

Trump supporters are certainly working hard to ensure that the world comes to an end.

Moderator's Warning:
Let's not stray too much into overt politics please... Religious Discussion Forum and all that...

I have a friend who thinks the rapture is coming... I feel sorry for him because he is going to be disappointed.

Is he scared or stressed out about it?

Another group of people in the documentary seemed excited about the end coming, and want to encourage events in Israel believing it will trigger the end. Thoughts?

There is a couple the Van Impe who hit the TV every Sunday morning, been on for years. Every Sunday morning they sit there, all smiles and caffeine confidently predicting each new news item is yet another sign the end is nigh. Kinda creepy if you think about the delivery vs the message.

While I haven't kept up with all variations of the End Times- most seem to need the old Jewish Kingdom of David (boundaries very vague) restored which is why some think we support Israel holding onto the West bank.

My thought- I am not holding my breathe or taking to homespun clothing and other Old testament admonishments- and most 'true believers aren't as well...

I think the end is always upon us. One thing for sure is we have all been given a round trip ticket. Clearly the physical body ends at some point for each and every one of us. Armageddon may not mean the extinction of man but the end of man as we are today. If you went back 65 million years man as we exist today was very different. I believe 65 million years in the future man as we are today will not exist. This does not mean we have become extinct but have adapted to live in the world of that time. If we venture into space we will most likely evolve very differently than the people who stay here on earth or move on to some other planet.

As a christian the Bible seems to contradict itself all the time. The fact is our ability to interpret it may be the cause of the contradictions. Every time I go to church I hear the words "Life ever after, Amen." This clearly leads me to believe we will live forever. However it clearly states that the end is coming and Armageddon. Then I hear the words " World without end. Amen."

I personally think while each and every one of our physical bodies will surely die the ability to reproduce and evolve allows us the ability to continue forever. However Armageddon may be the end of man as we know him today but we may evolve and continue as a completely different species.

As far as moving on after death to date there is no proof. That does not mean it doesn't happen. I have faith and believe I will live on after the physical body dies. If I am wrong I will never know it for I will have ceased to exist. If I am right then I am ready to move on to bigger and better things.

I believe in God and that he granted us freewill. By doing this God has put our destiny and future in our hands. The Earth will clearly have some sort of catastrophe in the future that could kill most or all life on it. I believe God has given us the time and the ability to circumvent the catastrophe or move out of harms way. The choice is ours. Hopefully we will take advantage of the gift of freewill and make wise choices. I think God did this because like us maybe by granting us freewill even God has no idea how things will turn out. Maybe God created us and the universe intentionally to have an infinite number of possible out comes. It surely makes things more interesting.

Just my opinion.

smiley-face-eating-popcorn.png

I didn't know until one day I looked at the sign in the yard of our ward that says-The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was like Oh crap.

Actually, it is for the first time technology feasible that we could wipe out humanity, if we make the wrong choices.

Total nuclear destruction of the Earth has been a possibility since the 1950's and you are just realizing it now? "End times" is a religious term and has nothing to do with humans killing themselves. God will NEVER be the cause of our destruction because he doesn't exist.

Nobody knows the hour or the time, so I say, "Don't worry--be happy!"

As a christian the Bible seems to contradict itself all the time. The fact is our ability to interpret it may be the cause of the contradictions.

I think a little more in-depth study will clear a lot of that up. I've read entire books on these alleged contradictions - especially those from the Gospels - and I've yet to see one that has held up to close scrutiny.

There's also tons of Christian websites that address those contradiction claims.

I personally think while each and every one of our physical bodies will surely die the ability to reproduce and evolve allows us the ability to continue forever. However Armageddon may be the end of man as we know him today but we may evolve and continue as a completely different species.

If you're a Christian then perhaps Hebrews 9:27 might help you, because it almost sounds like you're talking about reincarnation or something like it.

Hebrews 9:27 - "It is appointed unto men to die once, but after this the judgment."

So, we get one life, then after that we go to the Judgment. Those who have Christ as their Savior go to heaven, and those who do not go to that other place.

Anyway, if you're going to practice Christianity, the Bible is the guide.

Skeptics say Christians have always talked about being in the end times. But the smart Christians know that certain events have to happen before that time. Included in those events before the "end" are:

1. The reestablishment of the State of Israel (came to pass in 1948).
2. The Jews will inhabit Jerusalem (came to pass in 1967).
3. The Third Jewish Temple should be built (because the abomination of desolation that Jesus prophesied, occurs there).
4. The Gospel of the Kingdom will be preached unto all nations, then the end will come.

There's a few more but that's a decent sampling.

Skeptics generally ignore, or are ignorant, of these events when they make their 'end time' claims about what Christians believe.

Back
Top Bottom