• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you believe Trump will win the popular vote?

Will Trump win the popular vote?

• Yes

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 48 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrotherFease

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Pretty straight forward. Biden currently has a 7% lead in the popular vote. About four years ago, Clinton had a 3% lead over Trump. Obviously the popular vote doesn't matter when electing a President, seeing as how the smallest states have the most voting power.

Your options:

Trump will win the popular vote

Trump will not win the popular vote.

Pretty straight forward. Biden currently has a 7% lead in the popular vote. About four years ago, Clinton had a 3% lead over Trump. Obviously the popular vote doesn't matter when electing a President, seeing as how the smallest states have the most voting power.

Your options:

first off, who cares?

second....the odds are about 4 to 1 that Trump loses the popular vote.....

but again....WHO CARES....since it doesnt matter

i assume Trump will lose popular vote by approx 5-6 million votes but have zero idea on what else happens

Your options:

I'll take the third option: Who cares?

Your postings over the last 3 1/2 years shoots the “who cares” BS all to hell!

Your options:

I’m not sure what the polls serve. Those who need reassurance that their candidate is winning and they’re among those voting for the best candidate. Or those who think they need to get off their butts and campaign more for their choice. Worthless as was shown in 2016.

Popularity means nothing. It’s the Electoral College that decides, as it should.

I strongly hope Biden wins the popular vote by at least 20 million votes, and then I hope Trump wins the electoral vote by 100 votes.

The crying in California, and the protesting in Seattle and Portland will be well worth the price of admission the day after the election.

when_everyone_gets_a_trophy_11-10-16-1.jpg

Your options:

I do not see what you mean with that comment, BrotherFease. The most heavily-populated states have the most electoral votes. It is not the small states that tip the balance whether we are looking at it from an electoral college system or a popular vote system.

Not a chance. He might win the EC again. No way is ever going to gain more voters tan he had yesterday.

Really?

When have I ever cared about the popular vote?

Don't know.Not relevant if he wins or loses the popular vote. What matters is if he wins the electoral college. Our founders didn't want densely populated states having all the say and that is why we have the electoral college and why each state gets two senators regardless of population size.

I do not see what you mean with that comment, BrotherFease. The most heavily-populated states have the most electoral votes. It is not the small states that tip the balance whether we are looking at it from an electoral college system or a popular vote system.

Mathematically, the largest populated states have the lowest vote per capita. The smallest populated states have the highest vote per capita. For example, a vote in Wyoming is worth 4 votes in California.

If we had the national popular vote, each vote would be counted the same regardless of location. In the EC, Wyoming, Alaska, North Datoka, South Dakota, Vermont, Delaware and Washington DC have the highest vote per capita. California, Texas, Florida, and New York have the lowest.

California = 40 million residents. That's 727k per elector.
Delaware = 973k residents. That's 324k per elector.

I hope that clears what I said up.

first off, who cares?

i assume Trump will lose popular vote by approx 5-6 million votes but have zero idea on what else happens

Funny. If you don't care, why did you post?

I fully aware that the popular vote doesn't matter. That's not how you to win the college.

But here's the thing: Trump cares that he lost the popular vote. He continues to say that he won it, and proclaims there was voter fraud in California, despite no actual evidence.

You should, the EC vote is based on each States popular vote, right now trump is coming up short, meaning Bye Bye donald.

first off, who cares?

It matters in a way you wouldn't understand, which is that if you know he won't win the popular vote then it means Republicans have lost the national argument.

But this isn't an argument you'll get. In fact, it's pretty much a sure bet that what I said sounded nonsensical to you.

If Trump should win the EC he better pray he holds the Senate. Otherwise he'll be impeached by February.

You should, the EC vote is based on each States popular vote, right now trump is coming up short, meaning Bye Bye donald.

Yeah, yeah...that's what they said about Trump in 2016...right up until election night.

Then people cried.

If Trump should win the EC he better pray he holds the Senate. Otherwise he'll be impeached by February.

You need a 2/3 majority in the Senate to remove a President from office.

Yeah, yeah...that's what they said about Trump in 2016...right up until election night.

Then people cried.

True, this time it is Your turn, enjoy.:mrgreen:

If Trump sacrificed an infant on the Capitol steps there are some true believing Trumpkins out there who would say the baby had it coming.

Mathematically, the largest populated states have the lowest vote per capita. The smallest populated states have the highest vote per capita. For example, a vote in Wyoming is worth 4 votes in California.

If we had the national popular vote, each vote would be counted the same regardless of location. In the EC, Wyoming, Alaska, North Datoka, South Dakota, Vermont, Delaware and Washington DC have the highest vote per capita. California, Texas, Florida, and New York have the lowest.

California = 40 million residents. That's 727k per elector.
Delaware = 973k residents. That's 324k per elector.

I hope that clears what I said up.

Wow! I didn't know this. How the hell did this happen? And, why? I assumed electors were proportional like House seats.

Excellent exposition, BrotherFease. Thank you! Cheers:

Don't know.Not relevant if he wins or loses the popular vote. What matters is if he wins the electoral college. Our founders didn't want densely populated states having all the say and that is why we have the electoral college and why each state gets two senators regardless of population size.

I’m sure they also didn’t envisage just a handful of states almost always having the say and getting most of the focus every single election.

Don’t pretend that it’s some glorious invention when it clearly has drawbacks especially at the current time.

At the end of the day, at the current time, it is what it is.

But let’s not pretend then that the President has the approval of most people and that he represented most voting people.

There is a philosophical argument to be made that if we accept the premise that comes up in almost every Presidential Speech that it’s “of the people, by the people, for the people”.

That if most people have not consented to this madness, it is not morally right.

And that’s what the last 4 years has been.

Most people DID NOT want this.

Back
Top Bottom