• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you believe there will be a rapture?

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Just curious.

No

But for me that's a gimme.

No, but I overall I don't think it would be a bad thing if it did happen. The born-again types go to heaven and the rest of us would be ridden of them. Everyone's a winner.

Well, of course! Why would you stop? Keep on until you find it!

What kind is it, by the way?

Would you believe that I'm still looking for the damn thing?

Are there any here who used to think it will and no longer believe so, or vice-versa?

Are there any here who used to think it will and no longer believe so, or vice-versa?

Perspective of a Bible-believing Christian... the sort often labeled "evangelical":

I did a reasonably extensive study of end-times prophesy a couple years ago.

My primary take from same was that I am not sure we understand Biblical eschatology as well as we think we do. That is to say, theologians and ministers who consider themselves well-versed on the subject... I think that if they think they understand it all in complete detail that they may be a smidge overconfident.

However, I am still inclined to believe in the end times, including some version of the "rapture", the Tribulation, Millenium and the Last Judgement.

Unlike many believers I am not so sure it is necessarily imminent. Certain Jewish sects who believe in a "Great Tribulation" believe it will begin around their year 6000, which would be around 2225 AD, IIRC, just to throw out one alternative theory.

But I dunno, the Bible says no man knoweth the day etc... Could be 5 years, 500 years, or tomorrow. God knows. Nobody else does.

As one who was part of a fundamentalist church from 14 through ... dunno. Probably in my mid-40's? It was quite difficult to disengage from the whole "One shall be taken, the other left" scenario. I do know I never thought it fair. It seems rather arbitrary.

Perspective of a Bible-believing Christian... the sort often labeled "evangelical":

I did a reasonably extensive study of end-times prophesy a couple years ago.

My primary take from same was that I am not sure we understand Biblical eschatology as well as we think we do. That is to say, theologians and ministers who consider themselves well-versed on the subject... I think that if they think they understand it all in complete detail that they may be a smidge overconfident.

However, I am still inclined to believe in the end times, including some version of the "rapture", the Tribulation, Millenium and the Last Judgement.

Unlike many believers I am not so sure it is necessarily imminent. Certain Jewish sects who believe in a "Great Tribulation" believe it will begin around their year 6000, which would be around 2225 AD, IIRC, just to throw out one alternative theory.

But I dunno, the Bible says no man knoweth the day etc... Could be 5 years, 500 years, or tomorrow. God knows. Nobody else does.

As the Mighty Revered Maynard once said, "I know Christ is coming, so am I . . . "

I certainly do not believe in the rapture. The Kingdom of Heaven is all around us, so where would one be raptured to?

"If by superhuman concentration one succeeded in converting or resolving the two cosmoses with all their complexities into sheer ideas, he would then reach the causal world and stand on the borderline of fusion between mind and matter. There one perceives all created things — solids, liquids, gases, electricity, energy, all beings, gods, men, animals, plants, bacteria — as forms of consciousness, just as a man can close his eyes and realize that he exists, even though his body is invisible to his physical eyes and is present only as an idea." - Paramahansa Yogananda

Far too many people would weep if that were true. This planet in general bears a far closer resemblance to hell than heaven.

I certainly do not believe in the rapture. The Kingdom of Heaven is all around us, so where would one be raptured to?

"If by superhuman concentration one succeeded in converting or resolving the two cosmoses with all their complexities into sheer ideas, he would then reach the causal world and stand on the borderline of fusion between mind and matter. There one perceives all created things — solids, liquids, gases, electricity, energy, all beings, gods, men, animals, plants, bacteria — as forms of consciousness, just as a man can close his eyes and realize that he exists, even though his body is invisible to his physical eyes and is present only as an idea." - Paramahansa Yogananda

If there is a rapture, nobodies going to notice because only 5 people will disappear worldwide.

Last edited:
I was assured from 1972 on that He was "coming soon". A few decades of that and ya really start wondering. <G>

There are multiple mainstream christian interpretations about what is supposed to happen regarding the rapture and other end of time things. Personally, I am content to wait and see what happens, if such a thing happens in my lifetime.

Premillennialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Postmillennialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amillennialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was assured from 1972 on that He was "coming soon". A few decades of that and ya really start wondering. <G>

The people who did the assuring were wrong and they should know better than to try and predict.

LOL Of course not. Not anymore than I believe that there's 'one ring to rule them all' :lol:

But hey, if there is... great. I'll be glad to rid the earth of the prudish twits and let the rest of us live here in peace and party. :mrgreen:

A lot of faiths worldwide talk about the end times occurring right now and how some kind of savior will came to bring us into a golden era that is unprecedented in human history.

I don't know if I believe all angles to the issue, but I do for sure believe we are in the end times right now.

Back
Top Bottom