• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you believe there will be a rapture?

Far too many people would weep if that were true. This planet in general bears a far closer resemblance to hell than heaven.

I disagree. This world is heaven for the human pysche. The human mind cannot deal with eternal happiness or torture, it would become bored or numbed. Unfortunately the human mind needs to suffer in order to hope. Eternal happiness would be boring to us. It may be a bitch, hey but thats humans for you.

I wouldn't want to spend eternity praising a god anyway. Give me sleep.

It should be noted Revelations was almost not going to be put in the bible, because the church powers that be thought it could be written by a crazy person. The same church powers that omitted countless gospels from the bible.

It's a matter of crashing irrelevance to me what a minority (end timers) of a minority (evangelicals) of a minority (protestants) of a minority religion (Christianity) believe about the way the World will end.

I disagree. This world is heaven for the human pysche. The human mind cannot deal with eternal happiness or torture, it would become bored or numbed. Unfortunately the human mind needs to suffer in order to hope. Eternal happiness would be boring to us. It may be a bitch, hey but thats humans for you.

I wouldn't want to spend eternity praising a god anyway. Give me sleep.

I don't honestly believe those are the only two options. I'm kind of surprised you do.

I don't honestly believe those are the only two options. I'm kind of surprised you do.

Well technically I don't believe in any option lol. Of course no one knows what happens when you die, as long as there is no eternal life I'm happy. Reincarnation would be interesting for a while though. Eternal life is the ultimate curse of the human mind, it is essentially a product of human greed.

Well technically I don't believe in any option lol. Of course no one knows what happens when you die, as long as there is no eternal life I'm happy. Reincarnation would be interesting for a while though. Eternal life is the ultimate curse of the human mind, it is essentially a product of human greed.

I got in a huge fight with my mom once because I said I don't think anybody could praise God forever, forever. I'd be surprised if they made it four hours. What a waste of people. I said I think the angels would do that, as that is what they were created for, and we'd all be like Doctor Who.

Or some such.

I would say it's a product of the natural self-preservation instinct.

If that was true, then every religion in the world would have an afterlife, but this is not true.

The concept of an Afterlife (a pagan idea), is a good way to control masses of people, that is why many religions (especially the aggressive ones, promote it). But it is greedy to expect to live forever, it is saying to the universe (or God) that what you have given me is not enough - I want more, to exist, to see the sunrise, to see countless stars and beauty...and to fully appreaciate them is not enough... I want to never die. But immortality is a curse for a mortal mind.

If that was true, then every religion in the world would have an afterlife, but this is not true.

The concept of an Afterlife (a pagan idea), is a good way to control masses of people, that is why many religions (especially the aggressive ones, promote it). But it is greedy to expect to live forever, it is saying to the universe (or God) that what you have given me is not enough - I want more, to exist, to see the sunrise, to see countless stars and beauty...and to fully appreaciate them is not enough... I want to never die. But immortality is a curse for a mortal mind.
One can be thankful for human incarnation and be satisfied with the human experience.

I personally believe that being human is not the pinnacle of existence, therefore there may be more to learn in the nonlinear, spiritual domain. Thus, immortality of the physical form seems to be an impossibilty. However, who is to say that awareness(the subjective experience of knowing one exists) is subject to death? Just something to consider :)

Why would it need to be the same for every religion? That sounds like an artificial qualification. Most of them do have some sort of everlasting aspect of the self.

That sounds more like a desire for self-preservation than greed to me. :shrug:

Last edited:
Yes!!! I most certainly do believe in the Rapture. I can't wait to recieve a new body, and let Jesus fix the world, and rule.

Last edited:
Perhaps the rapture is something you experience when you take your last breath-- a release of the soul or spirit.

The evangelical scary fairy tale version derived from misreading of the biblical text -- no.

I'm sorry, could you explain what you mean by misreading? How is this misreading?

Matthew 24:30-32 (King James Version)

30And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

1 Corinthians 15 (King James Version)

51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

57But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 (King James Version)

15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

No matter wich posision you take on it, the rapture event is in there as plain as day in black and white AND red. :2wave:

Last edited:
I'm sorry, could you explain what you mean by misreading? How is this misreading?

Matthew 24:30-32 (King James Version)

30And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

1 Corinthians 15 (King James Version)

51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

56The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

57But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 (King James Version)

15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

No matter wich posision you take on it, the rapture event is in there as plain as day in black and white AND red. :2wave:

Or you could interpret the words symbolically. That's always an option.

I cannot believe that nobody posted this yet.

Yes, I do believe there will be a raptor.

340x.jpg

Rapture?

Puhleeeze.... I do not believe in any of that crazy stuff. I am almost offended you would even ask such a rediculous question. But since it wasn't pointed directly at me, I'll cut ya some slack. :mrgreen:

I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman. All I wanna do is bicycle.

Or you could interpret the words symbolically. That's always an option.

In Mathew Jesus was explaining what would happen at the end of the world. There is no room for "symbolic" anything, since he was giving them a straight answer. What is symbolic about him coming back with his angels to gather his followers up?

Paul said close to the same thing twice, and what he was doing was letting churches know.

I can understand how people see symbolism in Revelation, because the four horsemen are symbolic (fun note, the horses are in the OT and they meant the same things as in Rev) but calling those verses symbolic I believe is in error.

121952988v5_480x480_Front.jpg

title.jpg

angel_4.jpg

satan_3.jpg

Pictures are worth a thousand words. :mrgreen:

In Mathew Jesus was explaining what would happen at the end of the world. There is no room for "symbolic" anything, since he was giving them a straight answer. What is symbolic about him coming back with his angels to gather his followers up?
Whether or not such statements are literally referring to a second, physical reincarnation of Christ or a spiritual, nonphysical event is certainly debatable.

Paul said close to the same thing twice, and what he was doing was letting churches know.
Paul says a lot of interesting things. I prefer to put importance on Christ over the Bible, Paul or the church.

I can understand how people see symbolism in Revelation, because the four horsemen are symbolic (fun note, the horses are in the OT and they meant the same things as in Rev) but calling those verses symbolic I believe is in error.
Everyone sees only what they can in holy texts. Such is the limitation of perception. Some people think the Bhagavad Gita and Ramayana are historical documents recording actual events. I prefer to see the spiritual message.

Last edited:
Whether or not such statements are literally referring to a second, physical reincarnation of Christ or a spiritual, nonphysical event is certainly debatable.

Paul says a lot of interesting things. I prefer to put importance on Christ over the Bible, Paul or the church.

Everyone sees only what they can in holy texts. Such is the limitation of perception. Some people think the Bhagavad Gita and Ramayana are historical documents recording actual events. I prefer to see the spiritual message.

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder that everyone can only see what they can, that is true. Sometimes I go overboard. ^^

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder that everyone can only see what they can, that is true. Sometimes I go overboard. ^^

But you are cuter than a button when you do Miss Southern Belle. :kissy:

Back
Top Bottom