• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you believe there should be a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage?

Do you think there should be a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage?

• Yes

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 54 84.4%

• Total voters

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Well its in the news again so I thought I would ask the question........Personally I hate to amend the constitution for a reason like this but I see no other way to protect the sancttity of marriage from activist judges like those in Massachusetts so I will vote for the amendment.....

Navy Pride said:
Well its in the news again so I thought I would ask the question........Personally I hate to amend the constitution for a reason like this but I see no other way to protect the sancttity of marriage from activist judges like those in Massachusetts so I will vote for the amendment.....
It's in the news....where did this come from? An attempt to head back to the moral realm so that people can forget what a f.uck up the rest of GWB's term has been? Getting ready for the 2006 midterms, can't forget about those nasty faggits! they want to hump your kids.:cool:

Navy Pride said:

Why not just let the states protect themselves from their evil activist judges? Massachusetts hasn't descended into anarchy since it was legalized.

A constitutional amendment wouldn't just prevent "activist judges" from legalizing it, it would prohibit the legislature and voters from legalizing it as well. Why don't you just admit that you don't like gay people, and cut the bullshit about "activist judges"?

I think passing this amendment could come back to bite the conservatives in the *** in the long run. If the Amendment bans Gay Marriage, I believe in 30 to 40 years when our society moves into an even more liberal and tolerant era, that the electorate might just overturn the Amendment.

The day the Amendment is overturned wouldn’t it make gay Marriage legal not just in the few states that want it but nationwide. That would be some sweet revenge. Some people seem to be suggesting that could happen on a few political boards I read.

Kandahar said:
Why not just let the states protect themselves from their evil activist judges? Massachusetts hasn't descended into anarchy since it was legalized.

A constitutional amendment wouldn't just prevent "activist judges" from legalizing it, it would prohibit the legislature and voters from legalizing it as well. Why don't you just admit that you don't like gay people, and cut the bullshit about "activist judges"?

It makes some amount of sense to let the states take care of it, but what if they make the wrong decision? :mrgreen:

Seriously, there is a problem in this country with judges who abuse their powers. On many other subjects in addition to gay marriage.

And I have a question. Is it wrong to dislike gay people?

The Mark said:
It makes some amount of sense to let the states take care of it, but what if they make the wrong decision? :mrgreen:

If they violate the equal protection clause or the full faith and credit clause, then it's a matter for the federal courts. Otherwise it's an internal matter that the federal government has no business trying to regulate. There are debates in state legislatures throughout the country. To pass a blanket ban on gay marriage across the entire nation is ridiculous.

The Mark said:
Seriously, there is a problem in this country with judges who abuse their powers.

There is also a problem of many career politicians who abuse their powers, by, say, trying to write discrimination into the US Constitution.

The Mark said:
On many other subjects in addition to gay marriage.

That's a state matter. If the voters of a state feel that their state Supreme Court has overstepped its boundaries, they're free to vote for legislators who will curb its power and governors who will appoint strict constructionists.

The Mark said:
And I have a question. Is it wrong to dislike gay people?

It depends what you mean by "wrong." It's certainly ignorant and disgusting.

Here's a good article on how Bush and Frist's strategy of gay bashing will also backfire in the religious right.

http://www.themoderatevoice.com/posts/1149486632.shtml

The basic point from the right is - "Bush ran hard on banning gay marriage in 04, now it's 2 years later and Bush puts up an amendment with no chance to pass on an issue that he care's little about personally. How stupid does he think we are.?" Apparently pretty stupid....

Hmmm. The clock is ticking on the end of conservatism. After this what is left? Flag burning? I think there has been one flag burnt in America in the past 2 years. That's not going to get it either.

LiberalNation said:
I think passing this amendment could come back to bite the conservatives in the *** in the long run. If the Amendment bans Gay Marriage, I believe in 30 to 40 years when our society moves into an even more liberal and tolerant era, that the electorate might just overturn the Amendment.

The day the Amendment is overturned wouldn’t it make gay Marriage legal not just in the few states that want it but nationwide. That would be some sweet revenge. Some people seem to be suggesting that could happen on a few political boards I read.

Well said. The country is less homophobic now than it was even 10 years ago. The US will get to a tolerant place some day. We did it with African Americans eventually and we did it with the woman's right to vote eventually as well.

::Major_Baker:: said:
It's in the news....where did this come from? An attempt to head back to the moral realm so that people can forget what a f.uck up the rest of GWB's term has been? Getting ready for the 2006 midterms, can't forget about those nasty faggits! they want to hump your kids.:cool:

Such hatred for one man...Its not healthy major.........Seek help before its to late my friend.....

Kandahar said:

I have nothing against gay people and I believe they should have the same rights as every American and I believe Civil Unions will accomplish that......

Gays have the same rights I have.......They can marry anyone of the opposite sex the same as me..........Like polygamysts they want a special right...........Not gonna happen...........

Navy Pride said:
I have nothing against gay people and I believe they should have the same rights as every American and I believe Civil Unions will accomplish that......

Gays have the same rights I have.......They can marry anyone of the opposite sex the same as me..........Like polygamysts they want a special right...........Not gonna happen...........

I'll bet you don't know any gay people do you? If you do, why don't you ask them what they think about this.

hipsterdufus said:
I'll bet you don't know any gay people do you? If you do, why don't you ask them what they think about this.

I do know some gay people...You forget I live in the Seattle Area where there are probably the second mosts gays in the nation, and to a person the ones I know want to live their life in peace and harmony and would love equal rights and believe they can be achieved through Civil Unions............They say that the radical gays and left hurt their chances in getting equal rights because by their radical actions it turns off the moderates in this country......

Navy Pride said:
I do know some gay people...You forget I live in the Seattle Area where there are probably the second mosts gays in the nation, and to a person the ones I know want to live their life in peace and harmony and would love equal rights and believe they can be achieved through Civil Unions............They say that the radical gays and left hurt their chances in getting equal rights because by their radical actions it turns off the moderates in this country......

I agree that radical gays turn off a lot of people. They are but a small minority though who are fed up with the hatred being spewed on them by this nation.

My gay friends and collegues want simply the same rights as you or I do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Navy Pride said:
Ahhh, seperate but equal, where have I heard that one before?
Civil Unions do not have equal rights as that of Marriage. Seeing as the state issues marriage liscence, then by default of the establishment clause per the constitution, issueing of a marriage liscence can not be effected by religious "sanctity", you're entire premise.
There is no secular "sanctity" establishment that gay marriage would ever violate

hipsterdufus said:
I agree that radical gays turn off a lot of people. They are but a small minority though who are fed up with the hatred being spewed on them by this nation.

My gay friends and collegues want simply the same rights as you or I do. Nothing more, nothing less.

and they can get those rights through Civil Unions unless those left wing friends of yours and the radical gays don't piss off middle America enough to preclude that even happening........There are some states passing amendments by huge majorities that are precluding Civil Unions too and the main reason is because of the radical left.......

Navy Pride said:
and they can get those rights through Civil Unions unless those left wing friends of yours and the radical gays don't piss off middle America enough to preclude that even happening........There are some states passing amendments by huge majorities that are precluding Civil Unions too and the main reason is because of the radical left.......

Personally as a pragmatist, I would start with Civil Unions. The country isn't ready for all out gay marriage yet. After the populous can see that there is no threat, and its fear subsides - then maybe we could move on to full gay marriage.

Personally I don't think the government should be in the business of marriage at all. Leave that to the churches and let them do as they best see fit, but put all of the rights to couples into a contract that doesn't use the word marriage in it.

Navy Pride said:
Intersting, it's always the liberals fault or the gays themselves isn't it? Not to bring up the fact that it is Bush and other far rightwingers that are bringing up the gay marriage, gay adoption issue, as well as case in point, yourself.

hipsterdufus said:
Personally as a pragmatist, I would start with Civil Unions. The country isn't ready for all out gay marriage yet. After the populous can see that there is no threat, and its fear subsides - then maybe we could move on to full gay marriage.

Personally I don't think the government should be in the business of marriage at all. Leave that to the churches and let them do as they best see fit, but put all of the rights to couples into a contract that doesn't use the word marriage in it.

I think most gays don't care what you call it as long as they get the same rights as straights......................If you open up marriage to gays then you have to open it up to a whole bunch of people with different lifestyles and this country is just not ready for that...

Navy Pride said:

What do you care what the government calls it? It's state-sanctioned segregation unless the government stops granting marriages entirely and only grants civil unions. And do you REALLY believe in equal rights for gays: The right to serve openly in the military, the right to file joint tax returns, the right to adopt, etc?

Navy Pride said:
Gays have the same rights I have.......They can marry anyone of the opposite sex the same as me..........Like polygamysts they want a special right...........

No they don't. You should be able to marry anyone of the same sex regardless of your sexual orientation.

jfuh said:
Intersting, it's always the liberals fault or the gays themselves isn't it? Not to bring up the fact that it is Bush and other far rightwingers that are bringing up the gay marriage, gay adoption issue, as well as case in point, yourself.

Come on man get real...did you ever hear of activist liberal judges in Mass making law instead of interpreting it........

Navy Pride said:
Come on man get real...did you ever hear of activist liberal judges in Mass making law instead of interpreting it........

If you don't live in Massachusetts, why the hell is it any of your business how Massachusetts handles its domestic politics?

Kandahar said:
If you don't live in Massachusetts, why the hell is it any of your business how Massachusetts handles its domestic politics?

My problem iis gays get married and move to another state and sue to have their marriage recognized by the government............

I think we all know that this amendment will not pass muster in the Senate but what it will do is get some weasel senators there no vote on the record and just maybe they will pay for it in very Conservative states like South Dakota and Nebraska.......

Stay tuned.............

Navy Pride said:
My problem iis gays get married and move to another state and sue to have their marriage recognized by the government............

First of all, last I heard (and its been a while), Massachusetts law prevents any non-residents of ANY gender combination from getting married in the state.

And have the governments of any other states recognized same-sex marriages performed in Massachusetts? Not yet. So perhaps you're overreacting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom