• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you believe in love at first sight?

Love at first sight, possible?

• Yes

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I am curious on everyone's take on this phenomenon.

I believe my wife and I experienced this. In fact I could tell you every detail about the few minute span when I first saw her from across the room and she can she. There was certainly a draw that we both felt too.

If by "love" you mean "lust", then yes, absolutely I believe in that!

If you really mean love, then no. I don't think it's possible to love someone who's still a complete stranger in every way. I do believe it's possible to fall in love in a matter of hours once you start getting to know the person, but not at first sight. At first sight, it's lust not love.

I agree with Arcana.

Attraction yes, love no.

Love is the feeling you get from treating another person in a loving fashion; it is a habit reinforced by your own commitment and the loving behaviors of another person.

"Love at first sight" is merely infatuation.

lust is often confused with love. I often doubt many even know the difference.

Sure, I saw my wife's ass and I loved it. Call me polyamorous but I loved her tits and face, too.

Oh, I later found out she was smart and funny as well. And makes a mean sammich.

To love a thing is to know and love its nature. If you've just seen someone you know jack about them, so how can you logically love them?

I've only experienced lust at first sight. If you want to equate the two, fine; But then by that standard I've loved every beautiful woman I've ever seen, heck even the mediocre ones. And suddenly the word love loses all meaning...

Someone once told me that anyone who doesn't believe in love at first sight has never been a parent.

I used to think no, but how I ended up in my last relationship was due to love at first sight, and it had nothing to do with infatuation. We both genuinely had a heart connection in our very first conversation and it was this connection that initiated the conversation in the first place. The infatuation came later.

I guess it depends on what you believe is possible. I think it's possible, but not common. There are only so many people out there that are the right match for you, and IMO you know from the start even if you want to logically dismiss it.

"Love"? No. Love isn't about external appearance. Lust is.
What else can you know about somebody "at first sight" besides what they look like? That's not love.

The first time I met my husband, I was intensely and profoundly attracted to him.
I wanted to have sex with him, repeatedly, right away. I did have sex with him repeatedly, right away.
It had less to do with the way he looked than the way he smelled. It was completely irresistible.
He just smelled so good to me, and he still does (although the smell was stronger when he was young. Or maybe I'm just used to it now).

But I wouldn't call that "love at first sight".
I didn't really love him until I actually knew him, and that wasn't until we'd lived together for maybe a year.

Last edited:
What else can you know about somebody "at first sight" besides what they look like? That's not love.

At what point did you begin to love your children?

I am curious on everyone's take on this phenomenon.

I believe my wife and I experienced this. In fact I could tell you every detail about the few minute span when I first saw her from across the room and she can she. There was certainly a draw that we both felt too.

I loved my children at first sight.

I believe in infatuation at first sight. Infatuation isn't love, but as a relationship grows it will either become shallow infatuation or truly based off of love.

I loved my children at first sight.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I didn't. Not like I would later.
What I later came to feel made what I initially felt seem pretty insignificant by comparison.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I didn't. Not like I would later.
What I later came to feel made what I initially felt seem pretty insignificant by comparison.

Well, I waited a long time to become a mom, so I really did feel what I thought was love for both my children when I first saw them. Eight years of fertility treatments and then finally, adoption. I don't know if you're the exception or not, but I do believe that love can encompass a lot of different situations and all people react differently.

And yes, my love for my kids is stronger now then it was even then and I didn't think that would have been possible.

/shrug

I believe in love at first sight as I have experienced it twice.

Much like TGND said,... it was overwhelming when I saw my child's face for the first time. And that's one kind of love at first sight.

The other, I think can only be explained (or verified?) in hindsight.

I agree with many others here that it should have been infatuation,.... but when the more you get to know them the more the feelings grow,... and it can all be traced back to that first encounter?

That (in my opinion) is conclusive enough for me,... that there can be "love at first sight."

:)

You can't seriously be comparing the only form of truly unconditional, ever-lasting love with the impermanent, fickle nature of romantic love, can you?

What is the only form of truly unconditional, ever-lasting love? Does it have to be a newborn of your own flesh and blood? Can people love adopted children unconditionally at first sight?

What about brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews and godchildren?

Given that it is possible in these instances, I can only assume that it is possible for a more romantic interest. Certainly not common, but I have no reason to dismiss the possibility.

There are two forms of love that I feel for my wife.

There is the emotional love, which is very similar to and encompasses lust. I am attracted to her, body and mind. That leads me to feel fulfillment and peace in her presence and in her companionship. One aspect of this is romantic love. However it is more than mere lust because there was a mental attraction the instant I saw her. I cannot profess to know how it happened, but I wanted to know her and felt intensely comfortable around here instantly.

Than there is the (for lack of a better word) the love that is within the context of the relationship. This is the love that takes time to develop and is found in companionship, respect, partnership, etc. It is like an intense friendship.

Obviously I could not feel the second one in an instant (it took about a year to start really developing), but I certainly felt the first one. In my opinion, it takes both to have a successful relationship. But yes, I certainly feel the first one is a form of love.

Last edited:
What is the only form of truly unconditional, ever-lasting love? Does it have to be a newborn of your own flesh and blood? Can people love adopted children unconditionally at first sight?

What about brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews and godchildren?

Given that it is possible in these instances, I can only assume that it is possible for a more romantic interest. Certainly not common, but I have no reason to dismiss the possibility.

I guess anything is possible. Romantic love is a whole different kind of love, though. It's too intertwined with lust to really know the difference at first sight.

I used to think no, but how I ended up in my last relationship was due to love at first sight, and it had nothing to do with infatuation. We both genuinely had a heart connection in our very first conversation and it was this connection that initiated the conversation in the first place. The infatuation came later.

I guess it depends on what you believe is possible. I think it's possible, but not common. There are only so many people out there that are the right match for you, and IMO you know from the start even if you want to logically dismiss it.

TELL US ABOUT IT! I love these kind of stories. *waiting*

Well, I waited a long time to become a mom, so I really did feel what I thought was love for both my children when I first saw them. Eight years of fertility treatments and then finally, adoption. I don't know if you're the exception or not, but I do believe that love can encompass a lot of different situations and all people react differently.

And yes, my love for my kids is stronger now then it was even then and I didn't think that would have been possible.

/shrug

What a beautiful story!

Back
Top Bottom