• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters
Deegan said:
"So what?" The question was, do you believe in God, most do when that fateful day is upon them, or so they think. It's an observation, nothing to get in a twist about, no one will ever know until the end, so there is really nothing to prove, but faith, to yourself.

I'm not getting in a twist about it. I'm merely pointing out that just because there might not be any "atheists in the foxhole," doesn't mean that atheism is wrong. It just means that people often act irrationally when they're panicked.

Deegan said:
There is also absolutely nothing I have said, that could be "logically debunked":confused:

The idea that one should believe in God to "be on the safe side" is known as Pascal's Wager, and is based on several flawed assumptions, including: 1) The only two possibilities are no god existing or YOUR god existing; 2) If God exists, he rewards believers and punishes nonbelievers; 3) If God exists, he can't discern your true motive for belief in him.

Kandahar said:
I'm not getting in a twist about it. I'm merely pointing out that just because there might not be any "atheists in the foxhole," doesn't mean that atheism is wrong. It just means that people often act irrationally when they're panicked.

The idea that one should believe in God to "be on the safe side" is known as Pascal's Wager, and is based on several flawed assumptions, including: 1) The only two possibilities are no god existing or YOUR god existing; 2) If God exists, he rewards believers and punishes nonbelievers; 3) If God exists, he can't discern your true motive for belief in him.

It is only irrational to those who believe the concept of God to be irrational. I would suggest that so many years of learning of the existence of a God, and so many who join in that belief, this makes those who do believe, more then rational people.

You only believe that God feels this way if you are of a certain religion, I am not. I do not buy in to the assumption that you must indeed honestly believe, to be granted admittance in to a heaven, that's for fear mongers, and money grubbers.

Tell me, Whats so bad about believing in God? In my neighberhood, I'm treated as an outcast only for the reason that i belive in God. Why do atheist care so much that some people beleive in God?

i think there is one thing that science will never be able to fully explain..well, meybe even 2. the first one is the more shakey one...what caused the big bang? well, i know there are theorys about a big ball of gas. but what caused it to ignite? hmmm

2. what happens after death? science can never fully explain that. yeah, the body is dead, but what of the person. faith does have a powerful affect. look what it did for the disciples.

t125eagle said:
i think there is one thing that science will never be able to fully explain..well, meybe even 2. the first one is the more shakey one...what caused the big bang? well, i know there are theorys about a big ball of gas. but what caused it to ignite? hmmm

Astronomers are working on answering that question. What makes you so sure that science will never be able to answer it? Maybe you just don't WANT science to answer it, and therefore you assume that it never will.

t125eagle said:
2. what happens after death? science can never fully explain that. yeah, the body is dead, but what of the person. faith does have a powerful affect. look what it did for the disciples.

From a scientific perspective, there's nothing that needs to be answered about that. Living things die all the time, and the rest of the universe keeps right on going. What exactly is the big mystery you want scientists to answer?

Do I need to state which way I voted?

Nikola said:
Tell me, Whats so bad about believing in God? In my neighberhood, I'm treated as an outcast only for the reason that i belive in God. Why do atheist care so much that some people beleive in God?

Treated as an outcast? Where exactly do you live? I have never come across a neighborhood where theists are the outcasts.

Atheists couldn't care less what you believe. What we care about is when you try to superimpose your beliefs as the only true beliefs and make your religion into our law. That and it sometimes takes most of us awhile to realize just how stubbornly stupid and self deceiving theists are and that there is no point trying to use logic to debate against the illogical theist standpoints.

Think of it this way.. when was the last time you heard of an atheist getting aggressive toward a wiccan? a Hindu? a buddist? a pagan? a shaman?

If you kick a dog enough times your gonna get bit.

dogger807 said:
Atheists couldn't care less what you believe. What we care about is when you try to superimpose your beliefs as the only true beliefs

That's a generalized assumption about atheists. A lot of atheists are just as guilty of trying to superimpose their beliefs on theists. I've heard many an atheist go, unprovoked, on a rant about how there is no God and accusing believers of being blind, stupid, ignorant, foolish, etc.

The Real McCoy said:
That's a generalized assumption about atheists. A lot of atheists are just as guilty of trying to superimpose their beliefs on theists. I've heard many an atheist go, unprovoked, on a rant about how there is no God and accusing believers of being blind, stupid, ignorant, foolish, etc.

Your right about general assumptions having exceptions. However that which you describe is more likely frustraition over the irrational arguments presented by theists. Arguing as if the bible is actual fact and not the thing under debate in the first place will almost certainly bring this response.

Ever wonder how an atheist sees a theist's argument?

http://www.atheistnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=9963

very accurate IMHO . Most of us do not care what you believe and don't plan on "converting" anyone. But Damn it if your gonna argue at least make sense and research your "facts" . After all .. if you silly theists all became atheist ..what would we have to feel so smug about anymore?

dogger807 said:

:rofl That's hilarious! What a great document! Here are my favorite ones:

ARGUMENT FROM INFINITE REGRESS
(1) Ask Atheists what caused the Big Bang.
(2) Regardless of their answer, ask how they know this.
(3) Continue process until the Atheist admits he doesn't know the answer to one of your questions.
(4) You win!
(5) Therefore, God exists

REID’S ARGUMENT
(1) You assume that your senses are reliable even though you can’t prove it.
(2) That means I get to assume anything I want.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

ARGUMENT FROM META-SMUGNESS
(1) **** you.
(2) Therefore, God exists.

I voted no in the poll but here's a qualifier:

I consider myself an agnostic-atheist. I don’t claim to know for sure that nothing warranting the label “god” exists or that such cannot exist, but I also don’t actively believe that such an entity does indeed exist.

TimmyBoy said:
I wasn't assuming that city people are not religious, I am just saying the live in a very empty society. They city is full of lies, deciet, crime, self servance, greed, back stabbing, superficiality and above all emptiness. I personally think that athesists don't have any real or genuine hope because they base everything on logic and science and do not have any faith at all. They demand that everything must have proof. You can't prove everything that exists. Science can't prove or explain everything.

At least you called your personal belief a personal belief. But it is wrong.

You are right. Science can't explain everything yet.

Nikola said:

There were quite a few people on the 'ACLU' poll who also felt like persecuted Christians. Don't churches have any types of counseling programs to deal with this complex, because it seems very common?

dogger807 said:
Your right about general assumptions having exceptions. However that which you describe is more likely frustraition over the irrational arguments presented by theists. Arguing as if the bible is actual fact and not the thing under debate in the first place will almost certainly bring this response.

very accurate IMHO . Most of us do not care what you believe and don't plan on "converting" anyone. But Damn it if your gonna argue at least make sense and research your "facts" . After all .. if you silly theists all became atheist ..what would we have to feel so smug about anymore?

Thanks for the link!

That reminded me of this one:

If nobody is perfect and I am a nobody, then I MUST be perfect!

And the ever popular:

If god is all powerful, can he make a rock so big that he can't lift it?

aps said:
I do not believe in God at all. Frankly, I am stunned at how many intelligent people believe in God.

I think the whole idea of religion is to make people strive to be decent people while they are on earth. I was raised Catholic. I never really gave it much thought about how throughout mass, I was constantly saying what I a sinner I am. “I confess to almighty God and you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned through my own fault…..Lord, I am not worthy to receive you but only say the word and I shall be healed.” I my admitting that I am a sinner throughout mass supposed to be a positive message? Oh brother. Some people need that kind of thing in order to strive to be decent people.

This whole thing about heaven and hell. Just not credible. OMG, I have to be a good person in my life in order to go to heaven? Oh, if I’m imperfect (which we all are), I have togo to purgatory and pray away my sins? Oh, and if I am really bad, I will go to hell. Give me a break.

McWilliamson said:
I do however, believe that there are some things about the world that are very difficult to explain without conceding that a supreme power must be at work doing things we can't understand. I actually plan on talking with a deacon at my old church about my mixed views to see what wisdom he can give me or if he can convince me to go back. I quit going a couple months ago.

What things in the world do you find difficult to explain?

Why does the universe exist? Granted, this may seem like a question only a fool would sit and waste his life thinking about. That is exactly the point, though. There is no way to prove an answer. If I was asked why do I believe in God, I would say, "There are questions with answers that are impossible to answer. However, there is someone or something that does know."

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWilliamson
I do however, believe that there are some things about the world that are very difficult to explain without conceding that a supreme power must be at work doing things we can't understand. I actually plan on talking with a deacon at my old church about my mixed views to see what wisdom he can give me or if he can convince me to go back. I quit going a couple months ago.

If there is a God, I don't think he would appreciate that we believe in him only due to ignorance, that since we can't understand many things, we say that proves there must be a higher power that created our surroundings through supernatural means.

Some have made the case for creationism by argueing that DNA is so complicated it couldn't have occured without being created. That may very well be true, but as evidence for proof of a Supreme Being, it is very weak.

No, I don't. On the 50 billionth year man created god.

I think there is some form of a higher power out there, but I haven't decided if I think that power is a god, a goddess, or a flying spaghetti monster.

So many choices...I've been researching religions to find one that suits me and my beliefs, but I haven't settled on anything yet. That's why I voted as "unsure".

As an atheist I don't. But I respect everyones right to think otherwise. I am an atheist, because of my own personal choice, and it was something I came to conclude based on my own rational.

But I am not going to attempt to tell theists that a god doesn't exist, because it is patronising, and only the individual can make that judgement for themselves.

My only problem is when someone uses their religious background to then rationalise that government policy should be in line with their religious dogma.

Stace said:
I think there is some form of a higher power out there, but I haven't decided if I think that power is a god, a goddess, or a flying spaghetti monster.

So many choices...I've been researching religions to find one that suits me and my beliefs, but I haven't settled on anything yet. That's why I voted as "unsure".

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

noodledoodlewall.jpg

Well, for a couple of minutes....it was rather enlightening, but I just can't decide if His Noodly Greatness does it for me. Plus, I really don't look so good dressed as a pirate, even if it is in His Noodly honor.

Australianlibertarian said:
My only problem is when someone uses their religious background to then rationalise that government policy should be in line with their religious dogma.

Amen, brother.

M14 Shooter said:
Looks like this website is a VERY poor indicatior of the country in general:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001659292

No, it shows the dishonesty in this forum, and the need to walk in lock step with the Godless left, even when they secretly believe themselves. They can not bring themselves to admit this publically, as the Godless left have done their jobs well. They have belittled, and berated these beliefs in our schools, colleges, and in our politics. They have tried to shame those who would show this faith, and even have gone as far as to label them insane, or mentally challenged. Yet when questioned in an anonymous poll, the facts are again brought to light, the large majority believe.;)

I'm Deist, so I voted yes. However, as a Deist my belief is based on reason, not dogma. And no, I'm not expecting an afterlife, although if there is something...I hope it's good. Doesn't have to be perfect or even great, just good.

Back
Top Bottom