• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you believe in God?[W:359]

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters
Re: Do you believe in God?

Yes believe what you like. Oh wait are you really believing what you want to believe? What the new testament teaches is that either you believe that Jesus was a god or you will suffer hell for eternity. That my friend is called blackmail. And was one of the first clues to me as a child that the bible was not a good thing to believe in. So no I am not worried that old Hebrew legends mean anything real.

If Jesus is really so concerned that we believe in him, why doesn't he show himself? It seems to me that belief would increase dramatically if there were some concrete proof.

Since you did not die its hard for one to believe you were on your deathbed.....as far as I am concerned its a matter of faith when it comes to religion and believing. You either believe or you don't....I truly believe in God and a after life...There is no question in my mind.........I guess the difference between you and I is if someway I am wrong then no harm no foul........If your wrong then its a whole another matter...........You will burn in hell my friend.............

Ah, Pascal's Wager. Unfortunately, that's ridiculous. The chances you've picked the right deity, out of the thousands upon thousand that man has made up for himself to worship, is ludicrously small. Almost invariably, if there is a god of some sort, you've picked the wrong one and you're going to roast in their version of hellfire for eternity. So what do you think you're going to do when it turns out that the Mayan gods were the real gods all along and on December 21 of this year, you're going to fry?

You probably won't even entertain the possibility.

Like I said its a matter of faith and I know there is a Christian God and I know hat his Son said............

No, you have blind faith that what you believe is true. You have no evidence. You only have delusion.

A lot of us believe that time is not to far away.

They've believed that for millenia. Jesus' followers in the Bible thought the end of the world was coming in their lifetimes. They were wrong. So are you.

Most people do, what about you?

Maybe

I don't believe that humans are capable of understanding or comprehending a 'god' being if there is one - or a larger supernatural force, if you will . . .I think we're just that stupid.

In the United States between 6 and 12% of the total population are atheist or agnostic depending on the poll. In Western Europe the percentage is much higher 20% in the UK, 33% in France, 25% in Germany. There are exceptions, only 3% in Greece and Portugal. Only 1% of Polands population are atheist. At this point in this poll 108 votes have been placed. 59 believers and 49 non believers. Why do you suppose that the percentage of atheist/agnostics is 45.37% so far on this forum? Is there something about a political forum that attracts atheist? 45% is high considering atheist are such a small percentage of the overall population. And another thing why does it seem that atheist are so hostile towards people who believe in god?

If Jesus is really so concerned that we believe in him, why doesn't he show himself? It seems to me that belief would increase dramatically if there were some concrete proof.
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life."

The new testament clearly asserts that Justification by god can only come through Jesus Christ.

Gal. 3:22 "But the Scripture has shut up all men under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe."

Romans 5:1 1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ""

The entire premise of the new testament is that Jesus Christ died on the cross for mans sins. So that man can be absolved of their sins so that they can enter the kingdom of god. And the basis for that is that you must believe that Jesus was the messiah in order to not burn in hell for eternity (or at least until the second coming of Christ when god destroys hell and the souls within it).

The new testament tries to use the Resurrection as direct proof of Jesus being the messiah. But since it is only legend that Jesus awoke from his death this story falls flat on its face and today people are left with only faith. the faith lies with the new testament and its written words. Without those words written down we would have no clue that Jesus existed in mortal form much less any other form.

In the United States between 6 and 12% of the total population are atheist or agnostic depending on the poll. In Western Europe the percentage is much higher 20% in the UK, 33% in France, 25% in Germany. There are exceptions, only 3% in Greece and Portugal. Only 1% of Polands population are atheist. At this point in this poll 108 votes have been placed. 59 believers and 49 non believers. Why do you suppose that the percentage of atheist/agnostics is 45.37% so far on this forum? Is there something about a political forum that attracts atheist? 45% is high considering atheist are such a small percentage of the overall population. And another thing why does it seem that atheist are so hostile towards people who believe in god?

Because the religious in America are infamous for trying to force their views on everyone. If they'd just keep their beliefs to themselves, nobody would care. When we can't have a political campaign without all the candidates trying to out-holier-than-thou each other, why shouldn't atheists and others who recognize that we have a SECULAR GOVERNMENT be pissed? National Day of Prayer? Um... secular government anyone?

I wouldnt put any faith in any poll. Just saying.

Because the religious in America are infamous for trying to force their views on everyone. If they'd just keep their beliefs to themselves, nobody would care. When we can't have a political campaign without all the candidates trying to out-holier-than-thou each other, why shouldn't atheists and others who recognize that we have a SECULAR GOVERNMENT be pissed? National Day of Prayer? Um... secular government anyone?

atheist are notorious for trying to force there views on believers. filing law suits to have the ten commandments removed from the public square, crosses removed, nativity scenes removed, in god we trust removed from our currency, and on and on. Forcing their views down the throat of the majority of the population who beleive. If they would keep their disbelief to themselfs, nobody would care.

Last edited:

atheist are notorious for trying to force there views on believers. filing law suits to have the ten commandments removed from the public square, crosses removed, nativity scenes removed, in god we trust removed from our currency, and on and on. Forcing their views down the throat of the majority of the population who beleive. If they would keep their disbelief to themselfs, nobody would care.
No that would be Atheists attempting to stop Christians from forcing their views on everyone else.

No that would be Atheists attempting to stop Christians from forcing their views on everyone else.

No that would be believers attempting to stop Ahheist from forcing their secular views on everyone else.

No that would be believers attempting to stop Ahheist from forcing their secular views on everyone else.
Believers are free to say whatever they like. So I see no need for Theists to force their views through the government. BTW Atheism is not a religion so that argument wont work.

Like it or not, we have a secular government that is forbisden from endorsing any religion. The government cannot post the Ten Commandments or any other sectarian religious document. That includes schools, courthouses, etc.

Deal with the reality.

There's this thing called the Constitution. maybe you've heard of it?

Like it or not, we have a secular government that is forbisden from endorsing any religion. The government cannot post the Ten Commandments or any other sectarian religious document. That includes schools, courthouses, etc.

Deal with the reality.

Um, there is a carving of Moses with the ten commandments in his arms on the wall inside of the United States Supreme Court building in our nations capital, deal with that reality.

Last edited:

Um, there is a carving of Moses with the ten commandments in his arms on the wall inside of the United States Supreme Court building in our nations capital, deal with that reality.
There is also Mohammed holding the Koran next to Moses holding the commandments. And there is also Confucius and Solon are you noticing a theme here?

HINT: There are 18 lawgivers represented.

Last edited:

Perhaps because it's easier to say what you really think while posting anonymously under a pseudonym than it is when talking to family, friends, and co workers?

I'm neither an atheist (I'm agnostic) nor hostile towards christians, but I can certainly identify with the atheists who are. Most christian-hostile-atheists used to be christians, and feel a sense of outrage that they were indoctrinated and fooled for so long. I can definitely relate. I for one find it completely unfair to indoctrinate kids from birth to believe something as baseless as that, and I for one will be raising my kids to think for themselves. If they grow up and want to be christians, then that's great for them, I hope it makes them happy, but I'm not going to brainwash them.

I think its because DP leans to the left where most of society is center right and a huge majority believe in God......I think the last poll was around 86%. It is encouraging to see that in this far left forum the majority still believe in God...

Whether you like it or not the USA is a judeo/christian country. I am a Roman Catholic and we force the Catholic religion on no one. We welcome people who want to be Catholic

I think its because DP leans to the left where most of society is center right and a huge majority believe in God......I think the last poll was around 86%. It is encouraging to see that in this far left forum the majority still believe in God...

You ever notice that in every thread you post in, the majority of the people there disagree with you on the selected topic? At some point in the conversation, you then throw your hands up in the air and accuse everyone of being leftists and not part of the mainstream of America.

I guess that's easier than actually debating and attacking the points of your opponents. You'll find the people here who oppose you come from every sector of the political spectrum.

You sadly remind me of my dad, who says things like "If you're not a mainstream christian, you should get the hell out of America! U-S-A!! U-S-A!!"

Whether you like it or not the USA is a judeo/christian country. I am a Roman Catholic and we force the Catholic religion on no one. We welcome people who want to be Catholic
I voted 'For' but what I believe you wouldn't call Christian at all. And about the only place conservatives and I agree are in military matters - usually, but not always.

I don't think the government, any government, should spend money on religious symbols. I understand why it was done in the past but just as SC finally took down their Confederate flag, so should we keep religion out of government.

You ever notice that in every thread you post in, the majority of the people there disagree with you on the selected topic? At some point in the conversation, you then throw your hands up in the air and accuse everyone of being leftists and not part of the mainstream of America.

I guess that's easier than actually debating and attacking the points of your opponents. You'll find the people here who oppose you come from every sector of the political spectrum.

You sadly remind me of my dad, who says things like "If you're not a mainstream christian, you should get the hell out of America! U-S-A!! U-S-A!!"

It is really a waste of time to post a poll here dealing with political or social issues......I believe that most of the members here a kids who are brainwashed at this time and like I did when I was their age will grow out of it when they get older and wiser and get married and have a family and most important of all get away from the left wing college profs. who are trying to brainwash them.......even a far lefty like you has to wonder why the polls are so different then they are on the national level...

I voted 'For' but what I believe you wouldn't call Christian at all. And about the only place conservatives and I agree are in military matters - usually, but not always.

I don't think the government, any government, should spend money on religious symbols. I understand why it was done in the past but just as SC finally took down their Confederate flag, so should we keep religion out of government.

There is a separation of church and state my friend but since we are a God fearing country and most of our legislators are themselves Christian you will never shut God out.

Back
Top Bottom